Share your Projects and Campaigns

Thalaba

I haven't seen much discussion lately about what people are doing with their time, but I'm really curious to know what kind of creative RPG projects people are working on. This could be anything from publications you're working on, blogs, system-tinkering, campaigns (running or playing or planning), One-shots recently played, playtesting something...anything you're willing to share, basically.

So if you're doing something RPG-wise, let's hear about it!

For my part, the campaign I was running for the past two years ended last spring. This was a sword-and-sorcery style campaign set in a world inspired by the late bronze-age near east. System-wise, it was a blend of RQ3/BRP rules, and all players were new to the system except me. The campaign started with 2 players whose primary experience was D&D, then ballooned to 6 players by the end. I think it's safe to say everyone enjoyed themselves. Certainly for me it was one of my best roleplaying experiences ever.

The summer gaming break recently ended. We put it to a vote to select the next campaign we would play. Four GMs put forth a total of 8 suggestions. The choices (arranged by the number of points scored in the voting) were:

(0pts) Dungeon Crawl using Dungeon Crawl Classics by Goodman Games. System Tunnels and Trolls.

(1pt) Sc-fi - game takes place on a colony ship that never reached its destination but has been travelling in space for generations. System TBD.

(1pt) The Morrow Project (which I think involves people emerging from an underground bunker after a doomsday scenario). System: d6.

(2pts) Star Gate/Sliders type campaign. System: Gurps.

(3pts) Campaign set in the world of Harn. System: Harnmaster.

(4pts) Sci-fi - The PCs wake up on a ship but cant remember who they are or why they are there. Something is terribly wrong. Figure out what's wrong, how to fix it, and how to survive. System TBD.

(10pts) Dungeon Crawl in a post appocalyptic world. System: D&D4.

(13pts) Return to the Tribelands campaign setting with new characters. Location and general aim of campaign to be discussed. System: RQ3

With 13 points, a return to RuneQuest and the previous campaign setting was the top vote-getter. I didn't vote for it myself as I wanted to do sci-fi, but as you can see Fantasy is the preferred genre in the group.

I'm now in the beginning stages of preparing for this campaign. As a group, we're hammering out the general thrust of the campaign - starting cultures and general direction of travel, and roughly what kind of characters people want to play. A quest for meteoric iron might be one motive in the game. I have a feeling naval battles, city sieges, and desert spirits will also play a big role.

I'm also looking at the rules options. I'm really interested in MRQ2's combat manoeuvres, but I don't want to run MRQ2 wholesale because I like strike ranks too much. So I'm thinking about how to meld them. Chances are I'll be taking a few things from MRQ2, BRP, and RQ3 and squashing them together. This campaign should be up and running come January. Until then, we're playing the D&D4 dungeon crawl that was voted second. It's my first experience with 4th Ed. D&D, and we've only had one session so far, so I'm still learning the ropes of it.

What have you got going on?

Edited by Thalaba

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

What have you got going on?

Thursday group are in the last few sessions of my "Heroic BRP" take on D101's the Savage North (were in the underground section of Frosthold at present). We then switch to [i}Call of Cthulhu for the winter, returning once more to my ongoing 1920's Yorkshire campaign "Northern Lights". Come spring next year we have a number of options, one of which is my BRP post-Apocalypse setting "After the Scouring" (previously run as tweaked RQIII).

On Wednesdays I've ended up playing in a MongTrav game via the games club recently setup by my FLGS...

Time has alas otherwise been very scarce in 2010 for gaming - I'm hoping 2011 will prove more forgiving...

Nick

All my BRP projects seem to be on the boil, but here are some I can GM soon, I hope:

Clockwork & Chivalry campaign using RQII

Val du Loup using RQII (I was going to use BRP originally, but decided RQ is better for medieval combat etc.)

Left for Dead campign using BRP (and maybe Chthulhu modern)

Fallout campaign using BRP

Freeport campaign using either BRP + Classic Fantasy OR RQII

C&C and Val du Loup are closest to being ready to play, I am not sure about the rest.

I'm working on sessions for an upcoming convention.

I'm down for three slots. I'll be running two Call of Cthulhu, one is 1937 Soviet Union and the other is 1587 Roanoke, and one Victoriana.

Outside of that, I have a regular Call of Cthulhu group that meets on Sundays. I'm also working on some Wild West campaign ideas to take the place of CoC once it winds down.

Thursday group are in the last few sessions of my "Heroic BRP" take on D101's the Savage North (were in the underground section of Frosthold at present).

Are you actually running OpenQuest rules, or does "Heroic BRP" mean BRP rules (maybe along the line of Stormbringer)? What options have you selected and how do you find they work for your group?

I like the diversity of genres your table will play. I assume in the past you've also played Outpost 19 with them and Gwenthia, too?

Time has alas otherwise been very scarce in 2010 for gaming - I'm hoping 2011 will prove more forgiving...

This is true for us, too. Since the last big campaign ended in June, we've had a lot of cancelled sessions. I'm hoping this is starting to turn around now.

All my BRP projects seem to be on the boil, but here are some I can GM soon...

You've been busy in the kitchen! I'm lucky if I can serve up one dish at a time. The rest are little more that bookmarks in my recipe book.

For the Fallout Campaign, did you know that one of the BRP Central members played in a campaign run by his brother and left some material in the downloads section (sci-fi section). I think it was Threedeesix.

I'm also toying with the idea of developing some Web based BRP tools that run on Google App Engine. What sort of thing would people like to see? I've made a start on an NCP / creature generator.

The older I get the less I'm able to keep up with technology, it seems. What kinds of things can the Google App Engine do? My on-line tools currently consist of 'Google Images' for looking up inspirational images and various foreign language translators for developing lists of NPC and place names with cultural resonance. Off-line, I use Open Office calc for my NPC stat blocks and for character sheets. I use Open Office Write for my GM notes. I use AutoCAD for maps, and Sketchup when I want to make a 3D model to illustrate a building or city. Otherwise, I have no idea what I'd use Google Apps for. Can you make a dice roller? Or even better, do you know how I can make one in Calc/Excel?

I'm working on sessions for an upcoming convention.

I'm down for three slots. I'll be running two Call of Cthulhu, one is 1937 Soviet Union and the other is 1587 Roanoke, and one Victoriana.

Outside of that, I have a regular Call of Cthulhu group that meets on Sundays. I'm also working on some Wild West campaign ideas to take the place of CoC once it winds down.

I've never done a one-shot myself, but I've always wanted to. I imagine they have to be much more tightly scripted than a long-reaching campaign to ensure they finish within the time limit. I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I'm used to running looser than what I think a one-shot requires. I think Tedopon also runs Con games, and probably Darran? Anyone else?

Roanoke? Wild West - maybe Gold Rush California? Could one of these be the mystery historical project you're working on? Are you still working on it?

Guest Vile Traveller

Are you actually running OpenQuest rules, or does "Heroic BRP" mean BRP rules (maybe along the line of Stormbringer)? What options have you selected and how do you find they work for your group?

BRP with tweaks for a more heroic feel - PC and Major NPC THP=CON+SIZ; no hit locations; major wounds; ripostes; shield parry's allow a riposte for non-masters; irreversible death only occurs at -CON THP. Using RQIII magic. SO far it's worked rather well - the players got a bit carried away at character generation and really didn't take enough healing, and the scenario is really NOT suitable for starting Heroic characters on reflection - I should have bumped them up to Epic.

I like the diversity of genres your table will play.

Hah! I'm always grumbling we don't do enough SF, and the others have recently been complaining that this group, which we set up to be the group that would return to things, in the last few years has only managed to consistently go back to the 1920's Yorkshire Call of Cthulhu game. Albeit at a recent group discussion we resolved to do better from next year! :D

I assume in the past you've also played Outpost 19 with them and Gwenthia, too?

Outpost 19 was my original play test game for the BRP rules. I've never got round to running Gwenthia itself - my bits of Gwenthia were very loosely inspired by a home brew fantasy game I wrote in the early nineties, and I never managed to persuade my groups to try it. I suspect that contributed to my personal frustrations with the setting.

This is true for us, too. Since the last big campaign ended in June, we've had a lot of cancelled sessions. I'm hoping this is starting to turn around now.

We were improving after a rocky summer, and then a bereavement and subsequent family fall-out for one of the group members has stacked with some work and holiday commitments amongst the rest of the group and it looks like we'll wrap the Savage North and take a hiatus of 4 - 6 weeks.

During which time I will of course be thoroughly conscientious and both write the entirety of this winters Cthulhu scenario AND pre "After the Scouring" for it's return next year... O:)

:D

Nick

The older I get the less I'm able to keep up with technology, it seems. What kinds of things can the Google App Engine do? My on-line tools currently consist of 'Google Images' for looking up inspirational images and various foreign language translators for developing lists of NPC and place names with cultural resonance. Off-line, I use Open Office calc for my NPC stat blocks and for character sheets. I use Open Office Write for my GM notes. I use AutoCAD for maps, and Sketchup when I want to make a 3D model to illustrate a building or city. Otherwise, I have no idea what I'd use Google Apps for. Can you make a dice roller? Or even better, do you know how I can make one in Calc/Excel?

GAE is somewhere that I can host the BRP tools that I develop so that anyone with access to the Web can use them. I'll add a dice roller in there no problem.

The first tool I had in mind was one to generate stats for any of the BRP creatures. You'd be able to specify how many you wanted and it would calculate the stats based on the die ranges given.

Another idea I was interested in was something that lets you test out combat between two foes to allow you to judge how balanced an encounter might be.

I just started playing tabletop RPGs last august of 09. I picked up BRP, then MRQ1. I GMed three games with MRQ1 with some elements of BRP thrown in. A friend encouraged me to create my own setting and I. Attempted to do so, switching to MRQ2 when it came out. I kept messing with the rules, a behaviour I got from BRP and wasted a lot of time in doing so. MRQ2 rules were great and I didn't need to fiddle with them. I intend to recreate my setting when I get back from army basic and MOS training next year.

This fall I ditched my messy setting and we just play MRQ2 RAW. Some adjustments are made for my players as they are familiar with d&d. They love both BRP and MRQ2 because its easier to understand and do stuff they want.

Right now I have 3 PCs, two are playing half demons from nomadic cultures. One is a bounty hunter the other is a sorcerer. My third PC is an elf who is a skilled thief and diplomat. We just started our campaign with the PCs tracking down a party of orcs. They climbed some trees and took them by surprise with their bows, and chased them to some stone ruins. Our next session will start with the PCs descending into the ruins to follow the orcs and try to rescue the captured townsfolk they have.

Eventually I'm going to see if my pcs will try a BRP scifi or post apocalpse setting after we finish this one.

Dude, I finally tracked down your awesome smileys! bath.gif Did you make all those yourself?

Out of curiosity, how many of these projects will see completion? There's an amazing variety there - you must be a good multitasker! I like the sound of the pirate setting in particular. BTW, shouldn't the RQ2 clone be called 'GlyphSeeker'?

Good to know. I think I saw someone else say the same thing somewhere about the Savage North.

Funny - I always thought it was your personal setting. I didn't realise it was a collaboration. Personally, I have a hard time with the concept of collaborative settings. I prefer the purity of a single vision in settings, rather than input from a lot of people. I find committees have a way of watering things down, but maybe that's just me.

Things brings up something I wonder about. How many people roll stats for creatures? I tend to just assign characteristics I think are appropriate. I have a little spreadsheet for creatures and NPC - I fill in the stats and it calculates the HP, FP, MP, and locational HP. Then I fill in the weapons and percentages, armour, and finally any magic or special abilities. I don't usually roll anything.

That second idea sounds pretty interesting but... could it test foes against a group of PCs? I imagine one-on-one is already a complicated enough program when factoring powers and hit locations. Would one-on-six be possible? How about 6 bandits on 6 PCs?

Anyway, I hope you'll keep us updated - that's a really interesting project!

I just started playing tabletop RPGs last august of 09. I picked up BRP, then MRQ1. I GMed three games with MRQ1 with some elements of BRP thrown in. A friend encouraged me to create my own setting and I. Attempted to do so, switching to MRQ2 when it came out. I kept messing with the rules, a behaviour I got from BRP and wasted a lot of time in doing so. MRQ2 rules were great and I didn't need to fiddle with them.

Right now I have 3 PCs, two are playing half demons from nomadic cultures. One is a bounty hunter the other is a sorcerer. My third PC is an elf who is a skilled thief and diplomat. We just started our campaign with the PCs tracking down a party of orcs. They climbed some trees and took them by surprise with their bows, and chased them to some stone ruins. Our next session will start with the PCs descending into the ruins to follow the orcs and try to rescue the captured townsfolk they have.

Sounds Awesome. How did you handle the PCs being 'half demons'? Did you come up with this on your own, or is it from an MRQ book like Deus Vult?

I had no idea you've only been RPing for one year. Definitely BRP is a daunting product for a new-comer. Most of us here have used it in more than one form from previously published games, so we can use BRP like putty to build what we want. But for newbies that's pretty tough. MRQ2 or Call of Cthulhu or OpenQuest would be easier for the new person to get into - I'm glad you've found your path with MRQ2. It's a solid system. BRP is an amazing system for tinkering. When you have more experience, I'm confident you'll be glad you got turned on to the Gold Book, too.

Edited by Thalaba

Still running the "when we can get together" BRP Arabian Nights game. Still playing in a "traditional fantasy" game using a FUZION-based TFT "clone." Still writing stuff for Labyrinth Lord, Barbarians of Lemuria, and BRP at the blog. That's about all I've got going right now, which isn't enough but it'll have to do :)

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

School is killing me, so I haven't had nearly as much time to work as I'd like. My real life group hasn't played since early summer, and I think middle summer was the last time my online group got together.

I've been slowly developing a system to emulate exploitation films called Stunts, that are basically die modifiers that are governed by the stat that applies to whatever skill you're using. The idea is to have characters that are barely tougher than an average Call of Cthulhu character, and let them get away with a couple of really cool things a day.

I'm also halfway through a rudimentary Gadget system that I plan on tacking onto my post apocalypse game to add some flavor to the robot characters and humans who are tech geeks.

Last but not least, my local group has been hinting that they want to reboot our Classic Fantasy game that fizzled out, and I've got about a dozen pages of class and spell conversions that I want to type up. Also, BRP Rome and Crusaders of the Amber Coast fit the feel of the world we play in so well that I need to incorporate a bunch of stuff from them also.

Problem is, with me doing so much written work for school, all I want to do when I get free time is something mindless like video games or beer.

EDITED FOR GRAMMAR

121/420

I've never done a one-shot myself, but I've always wanted to. I imagine they have to be much more tightly scripted than a long-reaching campaign to ensure they finish within the time limit. I'm not entirely sure how to do that since I'm used to running looser than what I think a one-shot requires. I think Tedopon also runs Con games, and probably Darran? Anyone else?

Roanoke? Wild West - maybe Gold Rush California? Could one of these be the mystery historical project you're working on? Are you still working on it?

Because these are for conventions, the scenarios do have to be more tightly scripted. At home, I like nothing better than creating a sandbox and tossing the players in. At a con, though, I'm limited to a four hour slot and have to make sure that everyone has a good time. I strive to have a discrete beginning, middle, and end that wraps up 75% of the questions generated. I don't want the players feeling like they've accomplished nothing, but I also don't want them feeling like they've wrapped everything up nice and neat.

Roanoke?

This is for an upcoming campaign called The Red Eye of Azathoth. It was quite possibly the most difficult thing I ever wrote. The original author of the scenario bailed over a year into the project. I had two weeks to create and write a scenario set in Roanoke that would fit smack dab in the middle of the campaign. In other words, I couldn't start it anywhere I wanted or end it anyway I wanted. I had to flow from a previous scenario into a later scenario.

All that being said, it turned out pretty good and I had a great time writing it.

Wild West - maybe Gold Rush California?

This is just for personal use. I really like Aces High and Devil's Gulch and want to put them to use.

Could one of these be the mystery historical project you're working on? Are you still working on it?

Nope. Neither one of those is the historical project. I'm still working on it. It gets backburnered occasionally so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like.

I also want to run a PA game using OpenQuest. It won't be immediately PA, but set after the civilizations have started to recover, but have morphed into very different entities from what they were before the disaster.

Due to some people recently firing off queries, I guess I should contribute to this thread. Work on these projects has languished due to real life, but I hope to get back in the swing of things soon.

My projects currently include:

Port of Skyrealms of Jorune to BRP, complete with some revisions and additions based upon conversations with Andrew Leker and Miles Teves.

Consolidation of years of house rules, various iterations of published material, and new ideas based upon rules discussed here and elsewhere, with the intended purpose of releasing a PDF of my "Ultimate Stormbringer".

Merging of some ideas from Victory Games James Bond 007 RPG into BRP.

Ian

This last year I have only run a couple of BRP one off sessions. I've spent most of my time running Pendragon and started the GPC in January. Uther period was completed by end of April and we're starting Anarchy next week.

I was hoping to run a Stormbringer 1-3 and BRP Jorune games at Continuum. Although the SB game faltered after my idea for the scenario was at odds with some of the established facts of the setting. I had tried to tell the story of Aubec of Malador and his death, but Loz's Cults of the YK kind of put a broadside on my idea. In the end I wasn't entirely happy with it after I ran it for my group and canned it.

BRP Jorune colonial era worked quite well. I ran it twice for my group and at Continuum and got completely different results each time. I was trying to tell the story of Bomoveris after he survived the initial attacks on the colonies due to be in transit in a Shuttle. The shuttle accidentally flies through an open warp and crashes on a Skyrealm (Kolovisondra for simplicity). From there the survivors needed to get samples of Shantha DNA, regroup with other pockets of survivors and finalise the 'Plan B' virus.

In the end it was a stark choice of annihilation or genocide. Both groups of players chose genocide. Triff played Bomoveris in the game and did the mad scientist thing very well.

It was very open ended and since the group decided to blow up the Cashiln tunnel I provided for ease of transport, I had to come up with something else to keep the story moving.

I was happy with both outcomes which pretty much followed the history we know.

I have been meaning to post up the character sheets and weapon sheets, but because I used some scanned art for watermarks / illustration, I was worried about copyright. Since I wasn't sure about wording for proper credit etc its just languished.

When ever I get some time to sort these out, I'll post them.

Likes to sneak around

115/420

Sounds Awesome. How did you handle the PCs being 'half demons'? Did you come up with this on your own, or is it from an MRQ book like Deus Vult?

Well my PCs are used to D&D style half demons so I made them like that. There isn't that much to them though, they get +2 to CHA and "Blood Hunt" which gives +10% to attack against any opponent whose got a Serious or Major Wound. The half celestial aren't that special either.

When I make my own "ancient bronze age/fantasy" setting I intend to buy more books for MRQ2 to help flesh it out. I'll make some custom races and try to have them more unique. I like Tolkien style settings/races, but for mine, I'm going to try to be different.

I had no idea you've only been RPing for one year. Definitely BRP is a daunting product for a new-comer. Most of us here have used it in more than one form from previously published games, so we can use BRP like putty to build what we want. But for newbies that's pretty tough.

Yeah I was wasting a lot of time for a while. I like MRQ2, its much better than MRQ1. However BRP is really good, I like how its rules are closer to the original RQ. I want to use BRP for a scifi or Fall Out like setting sometime in the future.

I'm also looking at the rules options. I'm really interested in MRQ2's combat manoeuvres, but I don't want to run MRQ2 wholesale because I like strike ranks too much. So I'm thinking about how to meld them.

I think that is a worthy endeavor. I liked the Strike Ranks from BRP too, but MRQ2's combat maneuvers are pretty sweet, my PCs love them and they understand them better. I would really like to see what you come up with for that.

Until then, we're playing the D&D4 dungeon crawl that was voted second. It's my first experience with 4th Ed. D&D, and we've only had one session so far, so I'm still learning the ropes of it.

I've PCed 4th Edition about 8 or 9 times with two different groups. One group is close knit and very loyal to the franchise. I've enjoyed the experience each time, but the rules are pretty thick. Some are good, others are bad, and (in my opinion) there's too many of them. I hope they scale down when they come up with 5th Edition.

I'm mostly a player these days,

I envy you. I'm the GM for my group, and no one else is likely to volunteer for the job. I want to PC a game, but being GM is rewarding.

Edited by Daxos232

Still running the "when we can get together" BRP Arabian Nights game. Still playing in a "traditional fantasy" game using a FUZION-based TFT "clone." Still writing stuff for Labyrinth Lord, Barbarians of Lemuria, and BRP at the blog. That's about all I've got going right now, which isn't enough but it'll have to do :)

I'd love to hear a little more about the Arabian nights game. What kind of scenarios and episodes did you come up with? The tales have inspired some of my own campaign scenarios, but only a little. Did you manage to work in some of the sex runs through so much of the tales? And if so, how did that work in practice?

Like the new avatar, BTW - it's a Kulullu, if I'm not mistaken.

Problem is, with me doing so much written work for school, all I want to do when I get free time is something mindless like video games or beer.

I know how this feels! Cool projects, though. Tell me more about the gadgets - I've heard people talk about gadget systems before, but what are they - obviously something more than just a list of items. What is it about 'gadgets' that need a system?

My projects currently include:

Port of Skyrealms of Jorune to BRP, complete with some revisions and additions based upon conversations with Andrew Leker and Miles Teves.

Consolidation of years of house rules, various iterations of published material, and new ideas based upon rules discussed here and elsewhere, with the intended purpose of releasing a PDF of my "Ultimate Stormbringer".

Merging of some ideas from Victory Games James Bond 007 RPG into BRP.

Ian

Very ambitious. I can see the Jorune project being especially interesting - it's a beloved setting that hasn't seen any new material in a long time. Is this something you hope to release to the public, or for personal use only?

BRP Jorune colonial era worked quite well. I ran it twice for my group and at Continuum and got completely different results each time....

I have been meaning to post up the character sheets and weapon sheets, but because I used some scanned art for watermarks / illustration, I was worried about copyright. Since I wasn't sure about wording for proper credit etc its just languished.

When ever I get some time to sort these out, I'll post them.

Another Jorune fan. I hope you do find the time to post them - I think a lot of people would like to see them, myself included.

I'm going to adapt a zone from World of Warcraft into a RuneQuest 2 campaign. Zul'Drak is a ruined city where the trolls who worshipped animal spirits/gods turned to desperate measures in order to fight of the Lich King and sacrificed their own gods to gain their powers for themselves to use against the undead. In Glorantha, this will be against chaos rather than undead, and I'm going to place it in the Palarkri Mountains in Pamaltela. The party are a group of God Learners in the Golden Liberation Society and they will be sent there on a rescue mission to investigate a missing expedition. I'm not sure what race the natives should be, maybe some relatives of the Agimori, or some new human type of my own invention modelled on the Aztecs.

Just adopted BRP as a system and my plans are;

Converting my longtime Greyhawk campaign and running this for my son and others if things turn out okay;

Starting a sci-fi campaign as a side project using either Outpost 19 or the Fading Suns setting as a starting point;

Cthulu, using Masks Of Nyarlathotep as a campaign.

Of course these are plans. Best laid ones. What could possibly go wrong?:7

I have a long-standing campaign that I converted from heavily houseruled AH RQ3 to MRQII early this year. Fantasy, set several hundred years after a war that ended thousands of years of wizard-king control. In the ensuing chaos, most of the books were burned, magic became institutionalized (and therefore strongly and centrally controlled). Slowly the campaign area is slipping from early Iron age back to Bronze as techniques and technologies are abandoned and forgotten. The vast majority of the population is illiterate, superstitious, and narrowminded.

The characters have realized that the wizard-kings, despite oppressing everyone and engaging in constant warfare among themselves, also maintained a series of barriers and strongholds against encroaching chaos. It would have been good if someone realized this before killing off all the wizards.

So, set against a deteriorating society, and growing signs that chaos is working hard to break the barriers between chaos and human lands, the heroes are working really hard to ignore everything they can and have a good time. But along the way, they have acquired an undead ally, an enemy high priest of the king of the dead (he's currently dead, but probably about ready to return), alliances and enemies among the various noble, the favor of the king, and most recently a castle (which was unfortunately destroyed when they captured it, but hey, how hard can it be to rebuild a castle that is hard up against the lands of a noble family that hates your guts?). They know that a severe test is coming, and they are grudgingly getting ready.

I have 3 steady players (there pretty much every time I run), 3 regulars (there more often than not), and about 6 others who show up occasionally. We have a rotation of GMs running other campaigns , so with my schedule I run one session on alternate months. Long-standing characters are Runelord level, more recently created characters are a little less powerful. The party is heavily fighter-focused, having built an aversion to the controlling powers (and therefore losing easy access to magic) early in the campaign.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!