Passions over 100%

Shiningbrow

Does anyone allow for this?

I can see it having an in-game effect, as someone may feel something so much that it reduces other passions in their life when they come into conflict.

Obviously, this should mean that the person is obsessed with the object of the passion... how that plays out - who knows??

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Does anyone allow for this?

Sure, why not?

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I can see it having an in-game effect, as someone may feel something so much that it reduces other passions in their life when they come into conflict.

The Antiparry idea might apply, so if you have Hate Lunars 130% and Honour 70%, then matching Hate Lunars against Honour brings Honour down, making it a 100 vs 40 roll.

Also, if you apply Specials and Criticals to Passion rolls, then a higher skill increases the chance of that.

4 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

It's very hard to get a passion much over 100%.  I'd just play by normal rules.

If you have a Passion at 100% and then get a +10 increase then why not have the Passion at 110%?

It is playing by the normal rules, unless the normal rules cap Passions at 100%.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Soccercalle said:

I dont allow it. If you have Hate Lunar 100 your whole existance is about killing Lunars and destroying the Lunar Empire. You may even destroy the World and your own Gods to do it. (If you could, looking at you Argie).

If you have Hate (Lunars) at 100% and find an artefact that makes you love Lunars, reducing your Hate (Lunars) by 40, your effective Hate (Lunars) becomes 60%, if your Hate (Lunars) was 130% it would be reduced to 90%. That is the point of having a super-high Passion, you still feel the passion strongly when the situation reduces your Passion.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

If you have a Passion at 100% and then get a +10 increase then why not have the Passion at 110%?

It is playing by the normal rules, unless the normal rules cap Passions at 100%.

One only gets a flat increase to a passion during character generation.  At least, how we play it.

After that you have to "make your check", and when you are ~100% with no bonus that's rare.  Even getting that required passion or rune up to 90% to make Rune Lord can take years.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

If you have Hate Lunar 100 your whole existance is about killing Lunars and destroying the Lunar Empire. You may even destroy the World and your own Gods to do it. (If you could, looking at you Argie).

This is the effect of being above 100%, not the rule that allow or not to be above 100%.

For me, as nothing in the rules forbids a passion to be over 100%, the standard rule apply. Of course, as there is no skill category modifier, only an EXP roll of 100 or a situational bonus can drive you over 100%, which will be rare.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Soccercalle said:

As there are no skill category categories a Passion of 100 is much more uncommon than a skill level of 100. There will be a lot of sword fighters with 100+ in skill than people with a 100 (or 100+) passion. So 100 in a Passion is "higher" than 100 in  a skill.

This is a reason I'm a bit skeptical of the proposed "coming soon" heroquesting rules, at least as I understand them, where skills do not apply, and Runes and Passions take precedence.  The primary Runes and Passions will all cluster together at roughly 90-95% and it's hard to "tell them apart".  

Hopefully it will work out - our group is really looking forward to them.

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rodney Dangerduck said:

where skills do not apply, and Runes and Passions take precedence.  The primary Runes and Passions will all cluster together at roughly 90-95% and it's hard to "tell them apart". 

Likely the quests will take you into places where your primary Runes or Passions don't apply, and you have to use ones you are much weaker at.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Likely the quests will take you into places where your primary Runes or Passions don't apply, and you have to use ones you are much weaker at.

We're a little OT, but hopefully one will be able to augment the Passion or Rune with a skill. Eg, one should be able to augment Death with a sword skill, or Harmony with one of your communication skills.

• Like 3

As it's very much based on the Pendragon system, having Passions at over 100% is fine by me. In my Pendragon games, quite a few knights have passions at 23-25 (115-125%). All it does is make it more likely you will critical and special. They will be hard to increase as there's no experience modifier. If players were really worried about mandatory rolls, they would have kept their passions below 80%.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 2/19/2023 at 7:28 AM, Soccercalle said:

If you have Hate Lunar 100 your whole existance is about killing Lunars and destroying the Lunar Empire.

Interesting that a lot of people seem to take this interpretation, when it didn't occur to me. FWIW, I (like a few others here) come from Pendragon, where Passions can absolutely go above [20] but there's a good deal of diminishing returns. I don't see much danger of allowing it in my games, but I'll admit I've never gone long enough for it to come up. But I would still take [Passion] 100% as "it's a defining feature" not "you are now an Unknown Armies avatar and doing anything other than [Passion] is taboo."

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2

On 2/19/2023 at 4:28 PM, Soccercalle said:

I dont allow it. If you have Hate Lunar 100 your whole existance is about killing Lunars and destroying the Lunar Empire. You may even destroy the World and your own Gods to do it. (If you could, looking at you Argie).

"Listen. If you wanted to join the S.M.U., you'd have to really hate the Lunars."

"I do!"

"Oh, yeah? How much?"

"A lot!"

"Right. You're in."