Home Brew Rule for the Sleep spell

Mossmac

I have always played that casting a sleep on a person standing does not harm her.

[arg I haven't the good words] I imagine the target as instantly become exceptionnaly "relaxed" and fall like a rag doll.

So with few risk to harm anything, and I don't consider that a little pain* is not an issue for Chalana, it is always better than a big scar with a sword, right ?

Of course even a rag doll will have issue if falling from a cliff or to lava.... so let the CA cultist be smart enough to use the spell when it is relevant

*I haven't the english expression for "un petit bobo", when you confort a young child when she has a blood drop on her knee

3 hours ago, Mossmac said:

"Oh Blessed one, the pain is unbearable, I lie awake at night, I get no rest, I am going mad with the lack of peace!..."

"Rest oh child, lie back and let the blessings of the white healer bring calm to your spirit..."

but then that would be role play.....😉

Sleep has a 10 round duration. Two minutes isn't much of a rest. Still basically useless.

52 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

After the two minutes, they are still asleep. There's nothing in the spell that forces them awake at the end of it.

True, but a light sleep. The description says, "Once the spell expires, the target moves into a light sleep, and awakens easily." We aren't talking about using Sleep as a 3-point cure for simple insomnia outside of combat. The unbearable pain that Mossmac uses in their example would awaken a light sleeper after two minutes, so not much rest. Needing to spend 90 MPs to give a sufferer an hour of rest falls into what I would call effectively useless for the noncombat purpose described.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bren said:

The unbearable pain that Mossmac uses in their example would awaken a light sleeper after two minutes, so not much rest. Needing to spend 90 MPs to give a sufferer an hour of rest falls into what I would call effectively useless for the noncombat purpose described.

I'm not sure that it would. I suspect that pain only wakes you up if it changes. People with chronic pain do sleep.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bren said:

True, but a light sleep. The description says, "Once the spell expires, the target moves into a light sleep, and awakens easily." We aren't talking about using Sleep as a 3-point cure for simple insomnia outside of combat. The unbearable pain that Mossmac uses in their example would awaken a light sleeper after two minutes, so not much rest. Needing to spend 90 MPs to give a sufferer an hour of rest falls into what I would call effectively useless for the noncombat purpose described.

My personal experience after serious injury requiring surgery, and earlier when i had double pneumonia, is that once i was asleep, and I really really needed sleep, I slept for several hours before I woke up.  Your sleeping habits may vary - but "light sleep" doesn't mean they awaken instantly.

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 5:30 AM, Enthar said:

As a side question, would not anyone with Chalana Arroy as an associated cult have access to Sleep- along with any other Spirit magic spells?

No, it is restricted to Chalana Arroy cultists, She learned that lesson after everyone learned Befuddle.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

No, it is restricted to Chalana Arroy cultists

... and Satyrs, who may well enjoy the prospect of someone hurting themselves on the way down. Which makes me think that @hipsterinspace is probably right with this:

On 4/2/2023 at 4:51 PM, hipsterinspace said:

I would imagine the Sleep spell begins with the target being overcome with a powerful hypnagogic state where they would like more than anything to lie down and curl into a fetal position before drifting off to sleep

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RandomNumber said:

... and Satyrs, who may well enjoy the prospect of someone hurting themselves on the way down. Which makes me think that @hipsterinspace is probably right with this:

Satyrs are unusual as they don't cast the sleep spell, they simply play a tune that has the same effects as a Sleep spell, doesn't need to overcome POW and lasts as long as the tune is played, so quite different to the Sleep spell itself.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here