Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine—Jason outlines 7 changes in the new edition

MOB

BRP Header

Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine is available now in PDF! While this updated edition features new art and a brand new full-color layout, here BRP creative director Jason Durall highlights seven changes from the previous iterations of BRP that we believe makes this the best edition of Basic Roleplaying to date!

1. General improvements to the text

While a decade may not seem that long, the TTRPG space has changed a lot in the 10+ years since the last edition of Basic Roleplaying was published. As such, the text has undergont a big update, including a lot of rewriting for clarity and consistency, as well as a focus on the use of direct language. The text was also edited for brevity.

In some instances, entire rules were completely rewritten for clarity's sake (looking at you, Encumbrance!) and others tweaked to make sure their usage was more clear (such as with the Augment mechanic).

This also includes some core terminology changes. Damage Bonus is now Damage Modifier, and the Appearance (APP) Characteristic has been changed back to Charisma (CHA), to bring it more into line with the original Basic Roleplaying rules set.

We also cut back on unnecessary extra mathematics, so there are no longer any rules that require you to calculate 1/4th of a skill (those rules have now been changed to 1/5th, a much more commonly derived number in BRP).

The text has also been rewritten to be more player-facing. Instead of “the player”, it’s “you”, and instead of “the gamemaster”, it’s “your gamemaster”. For sections specific to the gamemaster, the text shifts to “you” being the gamemaster.

2. Changes to powers and general streamlining

While many powers in Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine might be familiar, most of them have undergone tweaks and changes. Care was taken to streamline the powers, as well as removing as many subsequent and sometimes unnecessary rolls (such as “If the D100 roll for the power succeeds, roll another D100 to see if X happens, then a resistance roll, etc.”).

Text of core rules was also smoothed out to remove any superfluous detail, such as removing unnecessary explanations of what common animals are.

3. Simplified core combat rules

This edition of Basic Roleplaying has seen the removal of Strike Ranks (a core combat mechanic used in RuneQuest), along with splitting attack and parry into separate weapon skills that had to be tracked separately. Strike Ranks in the prior edition of BRP were not as well implemented as they are in RuneQuest, and feedback on splitting attacks and parries lead us to the conclusion that the rule itself was not particularly useful. As it is not easily supported on the basic character sheet, it seemed an easy thing to remove.

4. Simplified Sanity Rules

The Sanity mechanic in previous editions of BRP was derived directly from Chaosium’s own Call of Cthulhu. As such, the Sanity rules were very specific to a modern horror setting, with terms and terminology based on modern psychiatric practice, which didn’t gel with the level of universality we want for Basic Roleplaying. Sanity in this edition of BRP is simplified in order to have the mechanic make sense across all settings and time periods.

[And while we're talking about Call of Cthulhu, the rules changes specific to Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition address and improve the play experience for horror roleplaying, pitting human characters against unfathomable evil. Those rules are balanced and scaled for the human experience. Basic Roleplaying, on the other hand, is a multi-genre rules system with a toolkit of optional rules to customize play with characters ranging from Bronze Age adventurers to galactic superheroes. Many of the rules changes unique to Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition do not scale beyond the human level.

Other Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition rules are also parallel, redundant, or even contrary to certain optional or core Basic Roleplaying rules. Short of a full rewrite of BRP to integrate them (and draw BRP away from being a middle ground), the difficult decision was made to make those rules unique to the Call of Cthulhu gameplay experience.]

5. Gender-neutral pronouns

As part of our ongoing mission to make our games as inclusive as possible, all instances of “he or she” from previous editions of BRP have been updated to “they.”

6. Introduction of new mechanics

Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine sees the inclusion of the Reputation and Passion mechanics. These allow gamemasters and designers to add a layer to the experience with social standing, a mechanical measure of trust amongst different in-game factions or individuals, as well as mechanizing key character story elements and backgrounds with Passions.

7. Updates to general roleplaying advice

For a long time, it was expected that a TTRPG rules manual would include extensive explanation of what a roleplaying game is. Because the hobby has exploded over the last decade, we’ve dramatically reduced the amount of text dedicated to beginner content (such as “how to find a group” and “how do you sit around a table?”). However, attention has been paid to advice for using Basic Roleplaying with Virtual Table Tops and Online Play.

BRP cover

And those are the seven major changes you’ll find in this edition of Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine! The book is available in PDF right now from Chaosium.com and DriveThruRPG with the hardcover to follow later in 2023!

Remember—when you purchase direct from chaosium.com you get the cost of the PDF deducted from the physical book when is out.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 9
  • Helpful 5

I would like to comment that for item 2, powers are still nebulous.  For example Magic seems to always require a Pow vs Pow roll to affect a creature, but some spells also require a different kind of resistance roll or allow the target to Dodge.  How those specific cases interact with the general rule could serve to be clarified.  I think Psychic Powers have a similar issue.  

1 hour ago, Saki said:

I would like to comment that for item 2, powers are still nebulous.  For example Magic seems to always require a Pow vs Pow roll to affect a creature, but some spells also require a different kind of resistance roll or allow the target to Dodge.  How those specific cases interact with the general rule could serve to be clarified.  I think Psychic Powers have a similar issue.  

It would be far more useful to us if you were to specify "I found power X to be unclear" than to paint two entire categories with that brush. 

17 minutes ago, Jason D said:

It would be far more useful to us if you were to specify "I found power X to be unclear" than to paint two entire categories with that brush. 

The default rule for Magic on page 55 is that "Any time a spell affects a living target the caster must overcome the target’s POW or power points in a resistance roll. Each spell description designates which value is used".

Blast does not specify using either.  It says the attack can be dodged.  Does it also require a resistance roll?  Similarly for Frost and Lightning.

Wounding requires a Brawl or Agility roll.  Does the target also get a resistance roll to avoid the effect once touched?

The default rule for Psychics on page is "Using a psychic ability against an opponent requires a resistance roll of POW vs. POW or current power points vs. current power points, based on the psychic ability".

Cryokinesis requires a Power Points vs Con roll to affect a target.  Does it also require a POW vs POW or Power points vs Power points roll per the general rule?

Telekinesis requires a POW vs SIZ roll to affect a target.  Does it also require a POW vs POW or Power points vs Power points roll per the general rule?

Nice, that's a very useful summary of changes, thanks MOB/Jason/others.

4 hours ago, MOB said:

Other Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition rules are also parallel, redundant, or even contrary to certain optional or core Basic Roleplaying rules. Short of a full rewrite of BRP to integrate them (and draw BRP away from being a middle ground), the difficult decision was made to make those rules unique to the Call of Cthulhu gameplay experience.

Thanks for acknowledging this 😄  I do think BRP in general (including RQ) should get a big modernization and streamlining bump similar to what CoC got with 7e (in spirit, if not in implementation), but I also understand it's quite tricky to achieve and I'm sure there are hordes of old fans out there who would disagree. But it's nice to know it was at least discussed at Chaosium... fingers crossed for this changing in a few years 😉 

Edited by Lordabdul
  • Like 2

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

I am generally quite happy with the result @Jason D, job well done! The BGB has been a treasure trove of information and ruling and it seems this new edition will now take the same role with, hopefully, a greater footprint on the market.

If I may, there are a few more streamlining/clarifying that could be considered. There is nothing below that is groundbreaking but at the same time, I understand if it's too late for tweaks.

1) Closing, Close Combat p.145 and Weapon Length p.156. I found the Weapon length section concise and well explained while Close Combat and Closing are repetitive and confusing. I suggest removing these two sections or heavily rewrite them. The space could be used for an example instead.

2) SIZ Chart p.189. - I suggest the weight continues doubling every +8 SIZ even after SIZ 88 (similar to SuperWorld). That change doesn't change much, if anything for most of the lower power games but does make BRP much easier to use for superhero games.

3) Skill bases. Some skills have a base calculated from characteristics, which I find an unnecessary distinction compared with the other skills. The one that strikes me the most is Gaming. Why is it based on INT+POW? Why is Projection based on DEXx2 but Throw and thrown weapons are based on static values? It just seems odd. For consistency, I suggest all skills have a static base (eg. Gaming 20%, Fly 40% or 5%, Language 50% or 0%, Dodge 20%, etc.). 

4) Skills and Skill Categories. Some skills in the Physical category are oddly distributed. "Drive" and "Pilot" would work better in Manipulation with "Heavy Machine". Also note that Dodge is a Physical skill but is listed under Combat on the character sheet. 

5) Step Six - Personality p.11. "Brutal" has a very negative connotation. I suggest renaming to "Physical" or "Brawny".    

6) Characteristic Rolls p.10, for ease, it would have been clearer to name characteristic rolls like their characteristics (Strength Roll, Power Roll, Charisma Roll, etc). Small detail but it is a lot more intuitive. 

Anyway, aside from 1 and 2, which would further clarify and streamline BRP, the rest are details that would just remove some more finickiness (totally not a word, I know).

Edited by DreadDomain
  • Like 3

Can @Jason D clarify point 3 re: split attacks and parries?

I am seeing the Parry skill in the BGB and the new BRP:UGE. Was the intent to remove Parry and have parries attempted under the weapon skill? I'm also seeing the "split skills over 100%" mentioned in BGB: Combat in Different Genres and BRP:UGE: Variant Combat Rules.

What was changed or removed? They seem the same to me. 

Trentin C Bergeron

Bard, Creative, & RPG Enthusiast

• 1 month later...
On 4/12/2023 at 1:26 PM, MOB said:

This edition of Basic Roleplaying has seen the removal of Strike Ranks (a core combat mechanic used in RuneQuest), along with splitting attack and parry into separate weapon skills that had to be tracked separately.

Despite the latter, the Parry skill is still there in the newest version of the pdf.

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

What previous Chaosium game had the sorcery rules that are included in Basic Roleplaying?

What about the magic rules? Were they first published in the BRP book or were they originally from a previous game?

I'm very sure the sorcery spells come from Elric, they look like they've just had some name changes e.g Hell's Armor (Elric) = Sorcerer's Armor (BRP). I'm not sure about the magic rules - they seem like a very streamlined and cleaned up list of some of the spirit magic spells from Runequest, but there are enough like Blast that seem different as well.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

The sacred sentence of science: "I might be wrong: let's find out." - David Brin

My Blog: http://grevsspace.wordpress.com/

21 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

What previous Chaosium game had the sorcery rules that are included in Basic Roleplaying?

Elric! / Stormbringer 5th Edition. They also appear in Magic World (2012) - which was Elric! / SB 5e with the Moorcock IP removed and a few refinements and adjustments.

21 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

What about the magic rules? Were they first published in the BRP book or were they originally from a previous game?

In the 1982 Boxed Set “Worlds of Wonder” there were three genre booklets that built on the core BRP pamphlet to create a Super hero, Science Fiction and Fantasy RPG. The fantasy game was called Magic World - and that’s where the magic rules in the BGB came from.

The Psychic powers are originally from the ElfQuest RPG; the mutations are originally from the Hawkmoon RPG and the Super Powers are from the Super Workd game that was part of Worlds of Wonder.

Edited by NickMiddleton
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3