Dragonewts and Chalana arroy

Snork

3 hours ago, ajs said:

I haven't found anything specific but suspect Dragonewts don't automaticaly show respect to the healers of Chalana Arroy

Anyone got any specific information?

No, but I probably wouldn't put in terms of "respect" as that seems a very human viewpoint.

You might find a pair of warrior dragonewts (or above) debating the merits of eating a Chalana Arroy healer - one arguing that the flesh of Innocence can remove an Entanglement from the world, while the other suggests the opposite, that the flesh entangles them in the Threads of Harmony and attaches them to the world.

Crested dragonewts on the other hand might hurl themselves at her feet, incessantly groveling around her. Another, nearing transformation to the warrior stage, might refuse all her healing, and do all in their power to prevent it (even attacking her!). 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

No, but I probably wouldn't put in terms of "respect" as that seems a very human viewpoint.

You might find a pair of warrior dragonewts (or above) debating the merits of eating a Chalana Arroy healer - one arguing that the flesh of Innocence can remove an Entanglement from the world, while the other suggests the opposite, that the flesh entangles them in the Threads of Harmony and attaches them to the world.

Crested dragonewts on the other hand might hurl themselves at her feet, incessantly groveling around her. Another, nearing transformation to the warrior stage, might refuse all her healing, and do all in their power to prevent it (even attacking her!). 

Thanks. Means the scenario idea I have stands up

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ajs said:

I haven't found anything specific but suspect Dragonewts don't automaticaly show respect to the healers of Chalana Arroy

Anyone got any specific information?

Dragonewts likely don't even know what a Chalana Arroy is, other than a human with a green sash.  They have no religious ties to the Lightbringers, and thus no duty to protect or honor healers.

Remember also that the dragonewts alive today are the drop-outs and no-hopers of the Dragonewt Community.  All the talented mystics of the Dragonewts have long since become True Dragons.  There are even dragonewts who still haven't figured out "I need to eat to live", and basically starve to death, then have a fresh incarnation.  Many dragonewts behave strangely.  This is partly because they are part of a very alien mystical tradition, and partly because they are literal dumbasses. 

• Like 1

• Scotty changed the title to Dragonewts and Chalana arroy

I played a Chalana Arroy who cast sleep on a dragonewt who was going to attack her party (due to missunderstanding related to a Godlearner artifact). I persuaded the party and dragonewt to co-operate and though in some ways appreciative, the Dragonewt's obligation to the healer (for furthering it's own quest) was regarded a constraint on its own spiritual development in transcending worldly concerns

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

That would imply an understanding of 'innocence', and that it would apply to a CA healer for some reason...

[As an aside, Chalana Arroy as the White Goddess has always had an association with the Altinae and the White Camp of Innocence/Wisdom. It's a concept that can fit with a group known as the Sisters of Mercy.]

But assuming such 'innocence' is non-determinable, we might give the dragonewts an ability to sense their Runes and interpret the high Harmony/Fertility combination as something potentially useful to eat.

The warrior dragonewts are carnivorous so the debate still makes sense.

Warrior dragonewts are also tested on the lines of: curiosity and apathy, leader and follower, impulsive and cautious, nervous and calm, and suspicious and trusting.

So one is Curious - what does this mix of Harmony & Fertility taste like, and is it good for one? Possibly help make them calm and trusting. 

The other is Suspicious, maybe Apathetic - and feels that this mix will entangle them in the earth, or that it will dampen their efforts to become more impulsive.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

[As an aside, Chalana Arroy as the White Goddess has always had an association with the Altinae and the White Camp of Innocence/Wisdom. It's a concept that can fit with a group known as the Sisters of Mercy.]

But assuming such 'innocence' is non-determinable, we might give the dragonewts an ability to sense their Runes and interpret the high Harmony/Fertility combination as something potentially useful to eat.

The warrior dragonewts are carnivorous so the debate still makes sense.

Warrior dragonewts are also tested on the lines of: curiosity and apathy, leader and follower, impulsive and cautious, nervous and calm, and suspicious and trusting.

So one is Curious - what does this mix of Harmony & Fertility taste like, and is it good for one? Possibly help make them calm and trusting. 

The other is Suspicious, maybe Apathetic - and feels that this mix will entangle them in the earth, or that it will dampen their efforts to become more impulsive.

Oh, I was just thinking that the concept of 'innocence' is somewhat of a human idea (unless referring to it's meaning of 'inexperienced in some aspect'). Most humans are 'innocent' to the idea of dying (themselves, not watching others die)... whereas that's something that dragonewts would be very familiar with.

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Oh, I was just thinking that the concept of 'innocence' is somewhat of a human idea (unless referring to it's meaning of 'inexperienced in some aspect'). Most humans are 'innocent' to the idea of dying (themselves, not watching others die)... whereas that's something that dragonewts would be very familiar with.

Yes, it's definitely a human concept (might be an equivalent for elves or trolls too), and I agree not a dragonewt concept in the same way. From a dragonewt perspective, an "innocent" is likely a crested dragonewt who has yet to master certain of their passion pairs.

18 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I agree with all of the answers however there is the question of EWF

what could (not was dragonewts are alien after all) be the dragonewts reasons to « draconize » human gods ?

and in that way, did they, at this time, respected some gods more than others ?

Or did they just trick the sentient flesh ?

As far as I can tell, in the time of the EWF the Dragonewts did whatever they did as the humans draconised their own gods themselves.

19 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I agree with all of the answers however there is the question of EWF

what could (not was dragonewts are alien after all) be the dragonewts reasons to « draconize » human gods ?

and in that way, did they, at this time, respected some gods more than others ?

Or did they just trick the sentient flesh ?

The dragonewts taught some of their secrets to humans, including dragon magic. The people most in on the secrets were the human priesthoods, so some draconic secrets probably began to leak into their regular rites, but no gods were "draconised" as far as we know, though many dragons (and/or draconic heroes) were worshiped as gods. The closest thing was probably the Orlanth Dragonfriend cult, though that was probably just a subcult of Orlanth teaching Auld Wyrmish. The common religion of the EWF stayed largely Lightbringer until 889, when the Third Council ordered that all Lightbringer worship should be directed to them instead.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:29 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

None, really - it was human dragonfriends who did so, and less draconically aligned EWF citizens provided worship to empower the effects of the dragon dream aka Proximate Holy Realm.

Dragonewt activity would re-inforce human dragon magic, and possibly vice versa.

It isn't quite clear what the dragonewts got from the EWF, and what they may have wanted from it. For a while, the dragonewts thrived and possibly even multiplied, creating new nests throughout the EWF, including Ormsland in Ralios (even with an Inhuman King of its own, like Ryzel in Maniria, at least until Alakoring Dragonbreaker slew it permanently and apparently prevented any replacement from awakening) and Peloria/Dara Happa.

Those northern nests were all destroyed when the Dara Happans threw off the reign of the Dragon Sun Emperor and allied with Carmanians and recently liberated Sairdites against the dragonfriends.

The Dragonkill on the other hand may have been an accumulation of draconic energies beyond anything previously experienced. The presence of so many dragons may have had beneficial effects on the development of the surviving local dragonewts.

As far as I can tell, no human scholarly records exist about the overall mystical advancement of the dragonewts in the region. Some weirdo tailed or winged priest might have an idea. Whether such an individual would communicate those ideas with non-dragonewts is yet another question.

• Thanks 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis