Astounding Adventures! BRP goes Pulp!

How long did it take your buddy's copy to arrive? FRP Games listed availability on June 30th (sadly didn't happen), and Amazon says 2 or 3 weeks if I remember correctly.

That order came straight from Chaosium, and I think it made it from CA to NE in the U.S. within a week. I ordered mine on July 2 from Amazon after it showed up there. Will keep you posted.

I just received mine in Australia, so international post isn't too bad, I ordered less than a fortnight ago, thats good for here ;D

First impressions is I really like this book. I have already been running my own 'Pulp Cthulhu' campaign for a while, and many of the amendments here are similar to what I did. Unfortunately I prefer some of my own rules where the rules differ, and there is no big surprises for me. My main gripe is that there isn't more 'Feats' - it has Psychic Powers (Mesmerism) and Powers (Gadgets), and a list of open ended traits called 'Resources'. I believe there could have been much more Resources and Pulp Abilities elaborated upon here, and this bit is a missed opportunity, as it is where other Pulp RPGs seem to excel.

However the pulp flavour of the setting is captured perfectly with this book, and it is great if you want to 'pulp up' any Call of Cthulhu campaign, or if you just want to run a Pulp Adventure campaign. I'ld advise people buy a few setting books as well to accompany this, such as 'Secrets of New York' (for Urban Noir) or 'Secrets of Morocco' (I can see a Casablanca flavoured style adventure here).

In any case this is a great setting, and one I would like to set supported almost as much as Call of Cthulhu. Finally, BRP goes 'officially' pulp!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I haven't found rules for minatures as yet, but there are some good tips on how to approach many pulp situations as well as a Pulp Adventure generator - I've seen similar such before, but its good if someone hasn't seen it from other rulesets - and it also looks like there is a Pulp 1930s scenario included. Looks like it will be a fun book to read when I get time to have a good look through it properly

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Mankam thanks for the answer. Bu no miniature rules? Thats strange, because they advertise it on the chaosium site coming with such rules.

Astounding Aventures Chaosium Inc.

I did come across a sidebar explaining how many hexs you can move according to your DEX, its only a paragraph or two but it explains it quite clearly. I haven't seen any major headings for miniature rules, well nothing has jumped out at me yet, I could have easily overlooked them. I will have a more thorough read later this week though. Edited by Mankcam

Question: Are the Character Points which are mentioned in AA Resources in any way connected with any of the character gen methods in the BGB? If I use the points based character gen option should I deduct for points spent on AA Resources?

Powers always have a catch. Is there a balance for AA characters who take lots of resources?

Question: Are the Character Points which are mentioned in AA Resources in any way connected with any of the character gen methods in the BGB? If I use the points based character gen option should I deduct for points spent on AA Resources?

<edit> Character Points are used for Gadgets not Resources but my question stands. Should characters with a really powerful Gadget (even one with the obligatory 'catch') have some penalty on their stats? Otherwise everyone will want to have a Gadget. My initial thought is that Character Points spent on Gadgets could be deducted from the characteristic points used (optionally) in character gen (perhaps on a 2CP to -1CharacteristicPoint basis)

Powers always have a catch. Is there a balance for AA characters who take lots of resources?

<edit> Re-read this and found you can only have one resource and only if you don't have Powers or Gadgets

• 2 weeks later...

The mook has a defensive roll. Sort of like a save roll in D&D. The percentage is pretty low and if they fail the roll when hit they are out of the fight; if they succeed they continue to fight with no penalty. They have average stats and basic combat percentages. Defensive roll is sum of hit points + DEX+ any armor points as a percentage. That's pretty much it. No worrying about tracking hit points, hits or damage rolled. If hit by the Pc the mook tries to make his defense roll.

Edited by tal

141/420