Astounding Adventures! BRP goes Pulp!

Well, CoC has been Chaosium's flagship and main product for a long time now. The company made an attempt to regain its earlier diversity with the BRP push, and BRP titles have won a lot of awards, but we don't know how actual sales have gone compared to the flagship stuff. It didn't help that a lot of BRP material was monographs, which don't see distribution outside the Chaosium website. The success of the Orient Express kickstarter seems to have turned the small staff's collective head, causing it to postpone other in-progress projects to pursue a perceived CoC money-maker. I can think of more cost-effective research methods than a personal trip to Turkey, but maybe the staff members were due a vacation anyway. Hope the trip provided a lot more in-depth info than blog posts indicated.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for Astounding Adventures, Interplanetary, and other non-Mythos, non-elves-and-dwarves fantasy titles that have been announced. I'm also curious about the status of last year's (and the year before's) writing contests, since I worked hard to contribute. I still think Chaosium needs to diversify its product line since three or four other games are competing in the Lovecraftian mystery genre. Chaosium is no longer THE Cthulhu company; it needs to have more eggs in more baskets.

And if they make the changes I've heard rumored for CoC I'm not gonna be an avid buyer of that line anymore either (also not helping are the quotes I've seen come out of one of the writers on that... implying CoC is somehow broken).

Interplanetary and Magic World are tops of my wish list right now. I've got more CoC stuff than I'll ever use... but it seems like a lot of the market nowadays is for collectors, not players... so a big fancy refurb of Orient Express will bring in the money.

After the excellent job done on Cthulhu by Gaslight it is understandable that they'd want to re-do another classic module. I just think they should have finished up what was already on their plates first. It's good to re-issue an old favorite, but Chaosium also needs to be producing a bunch of new "old favorites."

In the past I used Call of Cthulhu for a lot of pulp style gaming. A specifically pulp style game could only help break the image that CoC is just about making PCs insane / dead, and a good fantasy game (Magic World) certainly won't hurt either.

I agree with many of the comments about BRP needing a more energetic push from Chaosium if it is ever to get out of the shadow of CoC and RQ and find a real market niche of its own.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well Grey the cover blurb says "Pulp Adventures for Basic Roleplaying".

The article text says "a sourcebook with all you need to run exciting scenarios.."

So my guess is that you'll need the BGB for actual rules even though there are "new rules for action points, powers, gadgets, resources and mooks."

It has background/source material and three scenarios to get you started. Nowhere does it actually say you don't need the BGB nor does it says you do. I suppose if you have a solid understanding of the BRP rules system then you could get away without the BGB, maybe even just using the CoC Quick-Start rules.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I didn't get that from the transcript. He made some rule changes but you refer back to the BGB at times

[19:26] <+TroyWilhelmson> Some refer back to the core book and some have been changed which are included in the text. There are also gadgets which work using the supers rules.

[19:40] <~Dan> Any dinosaurs?

[19:41] <+TroyWilhelmson> Most of the dinosaurs are stated in the BRP core book so I didn't add them in.