Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

tooley1chris

On 11/16/2014 at 6:26 PM, tooley1chris said:

My Alchemy and Artifice book should (hopefully ) be ready to post in a day or two.

In the mean time I've been working on my Mega-Dungeon. I'm going with RPtools Maptools for the mapping and will make it ready to use with that Virtual Table Top including NPC /Critter Tokens with MW stats attached to each token.

If any of you are looking for a VTT, I can't recommend Maptools more highly. What a powerful tool!

I've generated a (hopefully ) unique background for why the "dungeon " exists and I Hope you good people will tell me what you think and/or ideas you may have to make it even better.

The story is this: hundreds of years ago a convocation of Mentalists built a monastery atop one of the mountain ranges of the southern Copper Mountains, east of Carmenel Pass. They were nearly deified by a tribe of primitive humans living at the base of the mountains. One of these mentalists, a powerful Clairvoyant, had a premonition of a great calamity to take place. An extinction level event to happen within the next two generations. So strong is the vision that his brethren agree to a mighty task.

They enlist the humans living below to carve great chambers into the mountain.

The mentalists devise a power that causes creatures to enter a suspended animation of sorts. Turning them to living statues, locked in unmoving unaware stasis.

Creatures from all over what is now the Southern Reaches are brought in mated pairs, sometimes several pairs, and placed within the carved halls and natural caverns of their mountain. Here they wwould remain in stasis until the apocalyptic event passes and then be re-released to repopulate the World. A Noah's Arc, if you will.

The mentalists are a majority of Balance in Allegiance so, in order to maintain neutrality, they pick every type of creature that can reproduce. Humanoids and monster. Wildlife and magical beasts. Refusing to rule on what species lives and which do not, they pick indiscriminately. For nearly two hundred years the mountain is hollowed of rock and filled with the living statues of hundreds of different species. Then, when the foreseen time of troubles arrives, they seal up their ark, confident they will usher in the new world.

Like many doomsday prophesies the sun sets and rises on a new day. Then weeks. Months. A year passes and the world ending event never occurs.

Fighting breaks out among the brotherhood. Some becoming anxious to leave the false safety of the arc while others call for more and more patients. A disease starts to spread through the arc. Many die, causing civil strife. First harsh words, then fighting, then murders take place among them. The disease decimates the mentalists, turning their stone halls of hope into their tomb.

Now a couple hundred years later, the powerful enchantments that held the creatures of the Ark in stasis is waning. Hundreds of creatures are waking up in the dark tunnels... and they're hungry.

That sounds awesome. I love your work Chris, many thanks.

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Not Magic World related but....

With the release of the shinier BRP Universal Game Engine and Chaosiums very forgiving attitude for third party hijinks I'm contemplating releasing a sci-fi world. 
 Have actually been working on it for about 6 months and have 3 books planned.
• Core Book
• Star Systems & Races of the Galaxy
• Starship Identification & Construction 
 I've never profited off of Any of my other books but am contemplating it with these. It's been a LOT of work.

• Like 6

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

On 5/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, tooley1chris said:

Anyone wanna tell me how to monetize a product? 😀

I'll summon @Nick Brooke -- he's the go-to guy for Jonstown Compendium.  As the BRP:UGE "ORC" situation has no sales numbers, we don't know how valid the JC lessons will be to ORC-license stuff.

But (as a customer) I've been impressed with the way some JC authors have introduced a basic product at a basic price, then kept adding/enhancing, with periodic price increases.  Early-adopters get the upgrades for free, author begins monetizing earlier in the project (win-win); those who demand premium product have to wait, and pay accordingly.

• Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

Substantial works for RuneQuest usually sell for 10-15 cents per page of content (and can be 100+ pages); for Call of Cthulhu scenarios, it’s usually 15-20 cents per page, typically for two or three dozen pages. I suggest you identify a few products that are similar to yours and reasonably priced (in your opinion), and do likewise.

Value what you make: if you put it up as “Pay What You Want” you’ll find that most people don’t want to pay anything (the only exceptions I’ve seen are explicitly charitable products), and they’re also less likely to value (and read / review / rate) what they picked up for nowt.

Have a marketing strategy in mind. When you publish, your books will quickly vanish without a trace unless you get them in front of people and grab their interest. What’s special about your setting? How can you sell it to us? Where do people who like that sort of thing hang out, and are you already contributing to those communities?

My experience is limited to community content titles, not setting books for new BRP genres, so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2023 at 2:55 PM, Nick Brooke said:

Value what you make: if you put it up as “Pay What You Want” you’ll find that most people don’t want to pay anything (the only exceptions I’ve seen are explicitly charitable products), and they’re also less likely to value (and read / review / rate) what they picked up for nowt.

Absolutely! People don't value what they can get for free. Even if it's a one pager that you really think should be free, put it up for 1 or 2 or 5 dollars.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On 5/10/2023 at 9:55 PM, Nick Brooke said:

... Value what you make: if you put it up as “Pay What You Want” you’ll find that most people don’t want to pay anything (the only exceptions I’ve seen are explicitly charitable products), and they’re also less likely to value (and read / review / rate) what they picked up for nowt ...

Nick's got the numbers backing him.

Speaking strictly for myself, I sometimes grab PWYW titles to do the equivalent of "looking through the book" (as I might in a brick&mortar game-store).  If I play the game, or even use it as a resource-book... then I go back and "buy" it properly.

But if I "put it back on the shelf," then I don't pay... and honestly, there are many more of those never-paid-or-played PDF's in my downloads, than there are ones I did end up using.

The biggest winner of this lottery in my library is Posthuman Studios' Eclipse Phase; I got the free PDF of the core book, and then bought that + 2-3 other books, and another gamer I know also bought into the system on the strength of my recommendation; so maybe 10-ish book-sales for them, all deriving from my 1st freebie download.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 1 month later...

It's out!

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

Making some progress!

Gonna post further updates over at BRP part of the forums since this isn't a MW supplement.

cover 1.PNG

cover 2.PNG

cover races.PNG

cover solar 1.PNG

cover solar 3.PNG

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 4

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

• 4 months later...

My most underwhelming project to date has been published and released on DriveThru! 

QUASAR is a Sci-fy space opera type game using BRPs ORC. This is the core book. Ive a Star Systems book and Starship Construction Book coming soon!

Edited by tooley1chris
  • Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 6:16 AM, Chaot said:

Tooley, drop me a line when you publish. I will buy, read and drop a review!

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nick J. said:

Congrats on publishing your book @tooley1chris I wish I could say I was interested in sci-fi, but I do wish you luck. The previews look really nice. Clearly another labor of love.

Thanks for your kind words.

If QUASAR got as many downloads as my Big Damn Book of Monsters did, I'd be as giddy as a school girl 😀

But alas, I knew it was a smaller market when I started the project. Fantasy is where it's at! 👍

I just really enjoy creating 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Screenshot_20240222_174343_WPSOffice.jpg.e64d12f2dd4f66a6777506906bb5f82c.jpgThe Trilogy of books is complete! 

QUASAR Starship Construction & Identification is available at DTRPG. Now on to the first emprise or "adventure module" which will give deck plan battle maps for some ships as well 😎

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/product/469490/quasar-starship-construction-identification

• Like 4