Anyone doing a martial arts supplement?

Dredj

Well, Martial Arts are covered in my Chinese rolegame. Contrary to what most games seem to have done (a further skill that gives you bonuses if you roll both under the combat skill AND the martial arts skill), the way I've managed it is that some special skills are taught only if you're part of a martial arts school -- not much unlike the original RuneQuest cults after all.

There are a few more subtelties, but in a nutshell that's how I've managed it.

I've been very happy that BRP martial arts is handled so simply, so I personally can't see any reason why someone would want all that bloated crunch like GURPS Martial Arts. Just my opinion, but it seems to me that to go that way is to depart from the BRP ethos (simple, rules-light, rules in the background). I'd rather see a supplement with no rules, but which gives background on martial arts and lots of descriptions that a GM can use to paint the picture.

132/420

I've been very happy that BRP martial arts is handled so simply, so I personally can't see any reason why someone would want all that bloated crunch like GURPS Martial Arts.

I agree. Now a wuxia themed setting would be something else entirely. But I guess it would have to have some Chi (Ki) style powers and/or other mechanisms for making PCs and major NPCs a bit more "Over the top".

I like the Stormbringer way where martial arts are just a high Brawl skill.

The black rivers of pitch that flow under those mysterious cyclopean bridges - things built by some elder race extinct and forgotten before the beings came to Yuggoth from the ultimate voids - ought to be enough to make any man a Dante or Poe if he can keep sane long enough to tell what he has seen.

I disagree that adding special mechanics for MA would lead to 'rules bloat' or be any more complicated than a magic system. If you can remember what your cult spells do, I don't see how hard it would be to remember a few mods relevant to your particular MA.

The reason I'd like to see it is that I don't think a single skill encompasses the wide variety of possible MA, either in a realistic or wuxia style setting. I'll grant that the normal MA skill (2d3 damage vs the brawl) works in most modern settings wherein MA is simply a slight advantage. But if you want to run a game around the concept, or where it figures prominently, the lack of options could be a killer for some gamers.

Also, some MA are simply better at doing things than others. Grappling someone is not just about your STR versus theirs on the POT chart, it should also take into account your technique (which at least in Elric! is not done, and that's the latest BRP game I have... its even worse in MRQ wherein its entirely based on skill and doesn't really take into account the difference in str between the two combatants).

Anyway, that's just me.

I fully take your point Tywyll. I was viewing it from my eyes only. Whereas, I agree, if you were running a campaign centred around MAs, then the basic BRP rules would be greatly lacking. Thus, it would make a great supplement; martial arts rules (hopefully still simple and elegant) + MA-specific campaign advice &/or background.

132/420

I think most martial arts can be done as is with BRP. Want great grappling skills? But super strength with limitation "Grappling only", want to run on trees like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon? Buy limited flight, or super leap (or whatever equivalent is in BRP, dont have book right in front of me).

And so forth. Chi powers/ki powers are just variations of spells and or super powers with the emphasis being inner strength and discipline.

Heck you could even buy points of armour, state that its only against hadn to hand attacks and represents your super ability to parry, block and dodge.

Its all in how you describe your bonuses and limitations placed on skills, powers and abilities.

Later.

After I get the new BRP and read it, I will revise and post my "BRP Martial Arts" rules, which are basically an adaptation of GURPS Martial Arts.

They are very simple (largely avoids the bloat/crunch) and yes, handle various martial arts styles in a manner similar to RQ cults (i.e. there are certain skills taught under each style).

I thought that super powers didn't work well with other power systems?

So how would you run a fantasy campaign with martial arts and mystic monks (spell casters)?

I would simply limit the number of super powers available, offer a smaller point pool for super powers, and call "super powers" mystic martial arts abilities.

I would simply limit the number of super powers available, offer a smaller point pool for super powers, and call "super powers" mystic martial arts abilities.

This is pretty much what I've done with my campaign - I have a couple of monk-type professions who are able to develop "super-human" abilities (martial and otherwise) as they get more powerful. So, for example, the Tiridat Monks of the Tung Mai have "Body Mastery" powers, which are a short-list from the psychic and super powers lists (such as Danger Sense, Defense, Eidetic Memory, Mind Shield, Super Movement, Unarmed Combat, etc). They use their permanent POW to buy these abilities during play. I haven't playtested it thoroughly yet - I can see a particular bottle-neck around the Unarmed Combat super power, which is POW-expensive, but otherwise things look pretty balanced.

I think as long as you don't allow absolutely *all* super powers to be available in all situations, they can blend in fine with the other power types.

Cheers,

Sarah

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

So, for example, the Tiridat Monks of the Tung Mai have "Body Mastery" powers, which are a short-list from the psychic and super powers lists (such as Danger Sense, Defense, Eidetic Memory, Mind Shield, Super Movement, Unarmed Combat, etc). They use their permanent POW to buy these abilities during play.

I have found this kind of thing is great for making new cults/societies/disciplines in the new BRP. They work similar to feats or heroic abilities in other games only seem much more elegant and natural, particularly if they are cult or philosophy specific.

294/420

Doesn't it also depend on what kind of campaign you're running? Think "The Bourne Identity" films versus "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." What a world of difference!

After all, if you're running a more gritty, realistic game, your martial arts skill would probably translate to what is given in the book except to say that certain martial arts have limitations (Brazilian jiu-jitsu would not have any strikes, Boxing wouldn't have much in the way of grappling beyond the clinch, etc.). A more cinematic/legendary approach would use super powers. I think a Wuxia campaign setting could flesh that out nicely, but those are powers you wouldn't want to bring into a lower power setting.

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.

Doesn't it also depend on what kind of campaign you're running? Think "The Bourne Identity" films versus "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon." What a world of difference!

After all, if you're running a more gritty, realistic game, your martial arts skill would probably translate to what is given in the book except to say that certain martial arts have limitations (Brazilian jiu-jitsu would not have any strikes, Boxing wouldn't have much in the way of grappling beyond the clinch, etc.). A more cinematic/legendary approach would use super powers. I think a Wuxia campaign setting could flesh that out nicely, but those are powers you wouldn't want to bring into a lower power setting.

I was hoping someone was making a martial arts rule set that ranged from very gritty to wuxia, as I love them both.

After I get the new BRP and read it, I will revise and post my "BRP Martial Arts" rules, which are basically an adaptation of GURPS Martial Arts.

They are very simple (largely avoids the bloat/crunch) and yes, handle various martial arts styles in a manner similar to RQ cults (i.e. there are certain skills taught under each style).

That sounds awesome. I can't wait to read it.

I'm certainly ok with this style, in theory. My main question/concern is how many points of 'super martial arts' would be fair alongside someone who practiced the traditional magic system?

I'm certainly ok with this style, in theory. My main question/concern is how many points of 'super martial arts' would be fair alongside someone who practiced the traditional magic system?

That entirely depends on your view of wuxia and martial arts. If you're talking about a Storm Riders style world, a lot. If you're more in the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon realm, not so many.

The danger I see is mixing gritty to legendary styles, which may work well in a story, possibly even a movie, but in a game you end up in the same fix that the "Star Wars" roleplaying game (in its various forms) found itself in--while it's nice to be a roguish smuggler, your jedi friends could wipe the floor with you. A bit of a downer.

Roll D100 and let the percentiles sort them out.