New Cover Pic

threedeesix

brpcover.jpg

According to the latest from Chaosium, the basic roleplaying book might be out by Christmas.

Some sketches of the interior art for the book can be found in Skook's sketchbook, the artist's blog.

A preview of the cover illustration have just been released, but the latest rumours say it may be replaced, mainly due to the negative feedback it has gotten:

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the image is more appropriate than the earlier one... competent painting but still not particularly eye-catching... it doesn't have much mood or style. Kinda reminds me of a GURPS book (not known for their art... but I guess Chaosium isn't either... but since I like both systems maybe less-than-interesting art = good game?).

What I still don't like is the font used for the name... that's just a pug ugly font to me...

Can't say I liked it much at all. I even think the old one from the basic roleplaying monograms is better. Hmmm...

A guy with a bow on top of a pyramid fighting a spacecraft? It's just weird!

:(

If you want a picture that says "generic", they would need several "archtypical" characters from the different settings. The last placeholder could be both fantasy, modern/horror, and maybe even futuristic. This one is only weird sci-fi. Nice image, but doesn't really make a good cover for a generic system.

And I agree, the title font is horrible.

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Why couldn't they just use a new version of the Worlds Of Wonder box cover? That was simple, got the point across right away, and was just stylish/attractive enough that it got my imagination going...

Do you know of a link to that cover? Haven't seen it before.

SGL.

I kinda like it. Not so sure about the cloak on the "Fantasy" character, but overall not a bad idea.

I did like the World's of Wonder cover though. You can see a thumbnail of it on Pete's site.

http://www.maranci.net/rqpastold.htm

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Looking at the cover for RQ2 gives me shivers. Guess I am a nerd.

As for the cover - the arrow is glowing...

And that damned comma is still there! "A Complete Core Rulebook" is correct English; "A Complete, Core Rulebook" is not.

I'm so picky... but I do know how important appearances can be.

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

I remember Lisa Free very fondly

Actually, I liked her stuff a lot as well... and in general I've always liked the art in Chaosium books (much more than in the older GURPS books!)... the stuff in the COC books has usually been really good too... but I don't think Chaosium has the reputation for lushly illustrated games/supplements the way some companies do... which I think is just fine. I really prefer not to have full color glossy pages with unecessary background art gumming up my ability to read the text.

Spaceships, warriors, firearms and a temple - what more could you ask for?

It looks OK, but cover art has never, ever sold a book for me.

It looks as though they'll be pushing the D100 idea, which is probably a good thing.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I haven't seen much of what Chaosium has done in the last 15 years or so and haven't played GURPS between the time it was still called The Fantasy Trip and 4th ed, so can't comment really.

As far as I can remember my impressions from that time though Chaosium's art was usually decent and occasionally wonderful.

As for lush art, I really prefer a book to read not something to put on the coffee table to brag about.

Should I say something about margin art and watermarks again? Nah, that horse is dead.

EDIT: I remember one cover I really loved, Questworld. I can't remember exactly what it looked like any longer (lost the box) except it was am aerial view of a huge forest and a small settlement. It really worked for me.

Well... I think it looks a bit 'outdated'... like something just out of the 80s, same as the system (not that the system is outdated at all; just the cover). But that's part of its charm to me. Had I seen this cover in the shelf of a gaming store 15 years ago, I would have paid for it without a second thought and I would have been playing BRP instead of GURPS up until now.

Consider me even more sold. I've already preordered the book at Warehouse 23. :cool:

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

I don't like it all that much. It's not horrible, but nothing great.

One thing that I don't like is how the different Grenre's seem to be interacting with eachother. It could give the impression the game has a kind of wierd lost world/sci-fi multi genre setting, rather than being a ruleset that can be used for multiple genres.

We of course all know what BRP is about, but someone just looking at the cover might get the wrong impression.

Perhaps a poll is in order...

Help kill a Trollkin here.

One thing that I don't like is how the different Grenre's seem to be interacting with eachother. It could give the impression the game has a kind of wierd lost world/sci-fi multi genre setting, rather than being a ruleset that can be used for multiple genres.

Exactly my thoughts (are you reading them?)! Guy shooting at a spaceship with a bow and arrow spells weird sci-fi, not fantasy or the other settings.

SGL.

I've been trying to work out what the cover reminded me of....and this morning it came to me. can anybody remember the old Look and Learn magazine with the Trigan empire comic strip ? That's what it reminds me of. I used to think that strip was great

You're right! I used to read the Spanish version as a kid and loved it. I never had the chance to read the complete series, but I really enjoyed those that fell in my hands. :)

Happy owner of number 226 of 420

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I think it looks a bit 'outdated'...
I have to agree. I think "more modern" would mean "less busy". In fact, I would prefer (perhaps in the minority) a cover without pictures, and instead in their place a very simple logo or icon. And nothing else.

Something akin to the collector's edition of the Warhammer RPG:

wfrp_corerulebook_ce.jpg

Obviously, BRP couldn't be this basic--you'd have to add some text--but why not just a simple, confident riff on the Chaosium dragon logo with "d100" or "BRP" underneath it? (By "dragon logo" I mean the image that appears in the upper-left corner of Chaosium's site.