Classic Fantasy Available for Pre-Order and Download

We are delighted to announce that Classic Fantasy is now available to pre-order in print, or buy for immediate download in PDF.

Classic Fantasy brings Old School dungeon crawls to the Mythras and RuneQuest 6 rules. This 336 page book contains everything you need to emulate the fun of class and level-based adventuring, against the classic coterie of monsters, with the classic armoury of spells! If you've ever wanted to convert those old dungeon modules to a d100 system, then Classic Fantasy is for you.

Packed with information and new rules additions, Classic Fantasy features a different approach to character creation based on classes such as the bard, cavalier, fighter, magic user, paladin and thief. Choose your race - human or demi-human - and then customize according to class, race and personal preference. If you're a magic user or cleric, the new magic rules for Arcane and Divine spells take the old staples such as Magic Missile, Charm, Fireball and more, and tailor them for the nuances of the Mythras and RQ6 systems.

Or, for the more combat-oriented, the Classic Fantasy rules provide detailed miniatures-based combat adaptations for the traditional battle-board, complete with guidance on facings, positioning, and handling detailed movement.

And of course, no book like this would be complete without monsters to kill and treasure to take! All the old favourites are accounted for, from Basilisks to Displacer Beasts, Grey Ooze to Gelatinous Masses, Kobolds, Gnolls, Hobgoblins and more. Forty pages of treasure and magic items helps you equip even the deepest dungeon with enough loot to satisfy the keenest adventuring party.

You can buy Classic Fantasy in these ways...
Preorder the Print Copy: $44.95, available in 6-8 weeks (shipping approx 1st June 2016) and get the PDF free of charge, with immediate download. Simply visit our online store (www.thedesignmechanism.com/products), and select Classic Fantasy from the Supplements catalogue.

This is not a standalone game. Games Masters and players will need access to either the Mythras or RQ6 rules to play Classic Fantasy (although other d100 rule systems may suffice). 

Buy the PDF copy on its own, immediately: $19.95, either from our online store (and select Classic Fantasy PDF from the Supplements catalogue), or from DrivethruRPG (http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/180255/Classic-Fantasy--TDM500)

So break out the Mountain Dew and the Cheetos... Classic Fantasy is here!

CF Cover Lo Res Small.jpg

• Like 12

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

It looks very good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in actual play.

I'm thinking of converting the Chaotic Caves module for Chris Gonnerman's Basic Fantasy RPG (itself a tribute to the Keep on the Borderland) so that I can see how it plays with an old-school adventure :)

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/JN1-Chaotic-Caves-r20.pdf

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/JN1-Chaotic-Caves-r20.odt

Edited by Prime Evil
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Prime Evil said:

It looks very good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in actual play.

I'm thinking of converting the Chaotic Caves module for Chris Gonnerman's Basic Fantasy RPG (itself a tribute to the Keep on the Borderland) so that I can see how it plays with an old-school adventure :)

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/JN1-Chaotic-Caves-r20.pdf

http://basicfantasy.org/download.cgi/JN1-Chaotic-Caves-r20.odt

You can read a play test of the game here

https://chrisbrann.wordpress.com/role-playing-games/rq-classic-fantasy/

It should give a good idea of how the game plays.

• Like 1

This is a question that has been bubbling under the surface of my awareness for some time in regards to my consumption of digital and in-print RPG products.

I use many products in their purely digital format, but every once in a while I decide that I really want a print edition as well. I don't know any publisher that offers this, but is it possible to buy the PDF at the listed price and if I choose later to purchase a print edition, do so at a reduced cost?

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

I've got the pdf and it's certainly well laid out, readable and easy on the eye, while the combination of RQ rules and D&D sensibilities seem to gel well (on first reading at least). I have to budget a bit in a financial and logistical sense for physical books these days, but I may get it later in the year - maybe alongside the proposed historical releases (Rome & Greece) perhaps. 

The only curiosities I have I guess was the choice of Thief Acrobat over what I'd consider a more archetypal Assassin Class, and that Magic-Users are back, instead of the now current 5E D&D split into separate magic using classes (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock). It is also probably a bit grittier than D&D is too - so the 'Classic' is more a reflection of genre tropes rather than full emulation really. 

Edited by TrippyHippy

1 hour ago, TrippyHippy said:

The only curiosities I have I guess was the choice of Thief Acrobat over what I'd consider a more archetypal Assassin Class, and that Magic-Users are back, instead of the now current 5E D&D split into separate magic using classes (Wizard, Sorcerer, Warlock). It is also probably a bit grittier than D&D is too - so the 'Classic' is more a reflection of genre tropes rather than full emulation really. 

Classic Fantasy is more an homage to 1st edition AD&D with a smattering of 2nd edition then to anything that came later, hence the use of Magic-User as a class as opposed to the later usage of Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock. As for the choice of the Assassin Class, I have always viewed that as more useful as an NPC then a PC, which is why if it makes an appearance at all, it will be in the Unearthed Companion alongside the Anti-Paladin and the Witch. However, information will be provided on using each as player characters if the Game Master deems it appropriate.

It is most definitely grittier then D&D, but that's really the point. I don't think we need yet another game where my fighter can take more damage then an African bull elephant. I designed Classic Fantasy as more of an answer to the question of "how would my fighter REALLY do against a horde of 30 goblins?"*

Rod

* The answer would be "not well". :)

Edited by threedeesix
  • Like 2

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Well, if you have Assassins and Witches in an Unearthed Companion book, I'd buy it. To me, Assassins like Arya in Game of Thrones don't have to be evil , while Witches have never been fully done as a true archetype in D&D beyond Warlocks.  I think they both make interesting PC choices if done well. 

I'm not criticising the game for Magic-Users or grittiness as such, merely observing. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Well, if you have Assassins and Witches in an Unearthed Companion book, I'd buy it. To me, Assassins like Arya in Game of Thrones don't have to be evil , while Witches have never been fully done as a true archetype in D&D beyond Warlocks.  I think they both make interesting PC choices if done well. 

I'm not criticising the game for Magic-Users or grittiness as such, merely observing. 

I know, I was just observing your observation. :)

As far as classes, spells, monsters, and magic items, I typically won't be a be adding anything new to Classic Fantasy and instead digging through my more obscure references for less used stuff, of which there is an abundance. Just my collection of Dragon Magazines has such a huge assortment of untapped potential. That is where I will be setting the groundwork for the before mentioned NPC classes. It's also why Classic Fantasy has two kinds of Bards when each version of D&D seems to imply there is only one, but cant decide on which.

Finally, it's probably better not to use an alignment system in Game of Thrones, but if you did, I would suggest; A Hint of Evil, Evil, and Really Evil. ;)  Speaking of which, I cant wait till tomorrow!!!

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"