[Science Fiction] What SciFi supplements have been written for BRP

rsanford

37 minutes ago, charlesvajr said:

Star Wars (RQ6) (Available from holders of the PDF) - Would be appreciative of anyone who might have this PDF and would be willing to take the time to share.

Charlesvajr PM me with your email address.

Ronnie

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

• 4 years later...

A BRP newbie question about M-Space, which is mentioned alot when BRP SciFi settings are asked for. I tend to go for BRP/CoC as my to go "generic" system for homebrew settings. There's lovely Pulp Cthulhu with the Pulp-O-Meter to make playerchars more resilient. There is Cthulhu invictus for ancient play, Down Darker Trails for Western settings. The only thing I miss is an elaborate source book for SciFi settings.

So here's the question, how much, if at all, is M-Space compatible with CoC? Is it possible to salvage it for BRP/CoC? Or is there too laborous conversion to be done? This includes psionics. Is psionics versatile enough to be used, for instance, for Star Wars "the Force" and Mass Effect's "bionics"?

Hi Belisar, I’m happy you’ve heard good things about M-SPACE.

You can either use BRP as your base and bring in the sections you need from M-SPACE, or start with M-SPACE and switch any subsystems for corresponding systems in BRP. The rules are similar enough to allow for mix and match.

I designed M-SPACE with modularity in mind, so nothing should break down if you combine it with other mechanics. 

What type of sci-fi are you planning for?

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

1 hour ago, clarence said:

Hi Belisar, I’m happy you’ve heard good things about M-SPACE.

You can either use BRP as your base and bring in the sections you need from M-SPACE, or start with M-SPACE and switch any subsystems for corresponding systems in BRP. The rules are similar enough to allow for mix and match.

I designed M-SPACE with modularity in mind, so nothing should break down if you combine it with other mechanics. 

What type of sci-fi are you planning for?

I was thinking of Mass Effect, mainly. In the meantime I've skimmed a bit through Mythras and I could absolutely imagine to use it as the generic D100 system for homebrew settings as it seems to be kept more updated than BRP, which last revision was in 2008, if I'm correct.

Update: @clarence, btw looking forward to M-Space and the Companion, I just purchased a moment ago. Looking forward to the books. 😊

Edited by Belisar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

FWIW, and being a big fan of both M-Space and Mass Effect, I think they're a nice match.  M-Space has great rules for alien creation, and various "powers" such as psionics, cybernetics, and Q-Tech can be reskinned as Tech Powers and Biotic Powers very easily.

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 5:29 AM, cloporte said:

Holy guacamole, it includes everything but the kitchen sink! When there is a lot of work behind this, well done. It could become a few supplements under the BRP licence, but it would need quite a few removal and serial numbers filed off. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2016 at 12:41 AM, Joerg said:

I am missing FGU's "Other Suns" from this list, with about the lamest Aliens ever (take a couple of mammals, make them bipedal, and voila aliens) and a take at future technology pleasantly different from the Traveller "take 80ies military tech and give it a very slight SF update" concept.

No real setting, somewhat plausible technology, and of course the potential to plug in any BRP fantasy race as an alternative to the furry aliens.

Actually, I have followed the progress of Genetics over the years and the possibility that we might genetically modify animals to a level of equal intelligence to me has become more of a possibility than our encountering Aliens. At least in the near future. I first ran across the concept from a book by A.E. Van Gogt called 'The Battle of Forever', then Niall Shapiro's "Other Suns", and finally David Brin's Uplift series. Along with other sources and information my perception of the concept is that it could be very real. Not to disparage your opinion of it, but for the possability of opening the concept up to other players to have adventures in is why I bring this up.

Eventually I wrote a story about genetics involving various animals called 'Neo-Species'. (Neo is a Greek word meaning new.) A short story called 'Genetic Defects'. If anyone is interested in the story they can let me know and I will see if I can post it somewhere appropriate in the Forums.

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 4:13 AM, Ethereal said:

Actually, I have followed the progress of Genetics over the years and the possibility that we might genetically modify animals to a level of equal intelligence to me has become more of a possibility than our encountering Aliens.

The Starfall webcomic tells a great story about a single (trickster) alien on a human colony with billions of semi- to fully sapient robots and one uplifted wolf using a similar AI construction (though biological rather than cybernetic).

Even Elfquest uses the themes of uplifted monkeys and butterflies.

Another excellent short book series is Rats, Bats and Vats where a colony beleaguered by giant bug aliens (reminiscent of Starship Troopers) are fought with conscripted vat-grown humans and military animals - a modified elephant shrew line and an oversized bat line - carrying a cybernetic implant uplifting them to sapiency.

I shudder considering what an uplift would do to our (slightly psychopathic) office dog and our office feline.

At least in the near future. I first ran across the concept from a book by A.E. Van Gogt called 'The Battle of Forever', then Niall Shapiro's "Other Suns", and finally David Brin's Uplift series. Along with other sources and information my perception of the concept is that it could be very real. Not to disparage your opinion of it, but for the possability of opening the concept up to other players to have adventures in is why I bring this up.

My low opinion of these aliens is based on the fact that they aren't supposed to be of terrestrial origin.

When it comes to independently evolved species, assumptions like having a spine, or an endo-skeleton, or a need to walk upright to free manipulatory limbs can be questioned. Niven's Pierson's Puppeteers are a species with an endo-skeleton, but that's pretty much where biological similarities end. Niven/Pournelle's Moties walk upright and have an endo-skeleton but not a spine.

Terrestrial biology with latex pasted on doesn't quite cut it outside a comedy.

Eventually I wrote a story about genetics involving various animals called 'Neo-Species'. (Neo is a Greek word meaning new.) A short story called 'Genetic Defects'. If anyone is interested in the story they can let me know and I will see if I can post it somewhere appropriate in the Forums.

Post away, please.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

• 3 weeks later...