Supernatural Western

Supernatural Western is a source book for BRP. The Book is actually a location called Devil's Gulch and is designed to be placed practically anywhere. The town is fully described as well as the personalities that populate it. The book has many special rules for wild west gunfights, chases, and weapons. Everything you need to run a western campaign.

The book has dual descriptions, so that it can be used in an historical campaign, as well as a weird west campaign. There are Hex Masters, Mad Scientists and Snake Oil Hustlers. The plan is to include 3 full adventures plus several adventure seeds. The author is Troy Wilhelmson.

To be submitted by July 2008! :)

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 2 months later...

Sounds very cool, I was heavily into Deadlands when it first came out but I don't think those rules meshed with the setting at all. Also the setting was a bit silly in places rather than weird. I think a weird west setting would work really well with BRP and I would definately buy this.

• 4 weeks later...

Love to see it so it can be played as a straight western without the "Weird" although I may want to run that too, just want the option. Was very excited cause I ran a one-shot Boothill a few months ago and loved it but the Boothill needs a skill system and thought BRP would be perfect for it.

I am also greatly interested in this setting. I just hope it isnt as "altered" a historical setting as Deadlands was. I think horror works best (and thus supernatural) when it isnt an everyday thing. Having entire undead armies fight in the civil war kind of makes the supernatural sort of natural or at least acknowledged.

A Brisco County style setting is what Id like to see. Kind of like Wild West Call of Cthulhu. "There are Mi Go in those hills."

• 2 months later...

It has been submitted, so it's in Chaosium's pipeline. They usually don't tell anything before they publish though. I would guess before the summer, as only two other monographs was submitted before it, but who can tell?

:beetle:

Yeah, BRP western... wierd or not... would definitely interest me.

I'm in a regular Deadlands game these days... but the setting seems somewhat tongue-in-cheek and tends to encourage the group to get pretty silly a lot of the time. I'd appreciate something a little less wild and a bit more... gritty.

Well, I was planning on running a Savage Worlds/Deadlands wild weird west campaign, but if the Supernatural Western book is good enough, I might just run it using BRP.

Skunk - 285/420 BRP book

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Finally some news about this one! From the rlyeh rapport:

DEVIL'S GULCH, a Weird Western setting for Basic Roleplaying, will be announced any day now. The book is virtually ready for the printer.

So it's not dead! :)

Another good inspiration for this sort of campaign would be Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa. It is set in the modern day (but could be re-set to any time) and takes more of a science fiction slant on things, but it is certainly eerie enough. And L'Amour was a master storyteller.

If anybody interested in a weird west setting gets the chance they should watch this:

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/05/the-shadow-of-chikara-a-haunti.html

I got this off amazon for 4p (plus postage). The picture and sound quality is terrible but I've seen worse... and it's a brilliant story so worth watch!

Have you seen 'Valley of Gwangi'? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065163/

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

I got this off amazon for 4p (plus postage). The picture and sound quality is terrible but I've seen worse... and it's a brilliant story so worth watch!

Have you seen 'Valley of Gwangi'? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065163/

Apparently, there's several versions of the movie on release, some of better quality than others ( sounds like you got a duff one, or at least one that had been played to death ;D ) As you say a brilliant story.

Valley of the Gwangi ? A good monster movie all round, lost valley's, man eating dinosaurs, evil gypsy crones, what more could you want !

Also worth looking at if you get the chance is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099704/

A mixed bag of horror themed western stories. made for TV I suspect but parts of it are genuinely spooky and unsettling. One of those films you catch on late night TV that turn out to be so much better than you thought they would be. I've got rather a soft spot for this one.