Treasure Factor Tables?

measuredrums

Looking through the 'Borderlands & Beyond' compilation and reading the Introduction to the 'Plunder' section, there is mention of and directions for generating random treasure based on Treasure Factors. That section mentions generating this treasure on Treasure Factor tables. Where are these tables? Sorry if this is a newb question, but I've scoured the book and can cannot find the tables. Thanks for any insight.

18 minutes ago, measuredrums said:

Looking through the 'Borderlands & Beyond' compilation and reading the Introduction to the 'Plunder' section, there is mention of and directions for generating random treasure based on Treasure Factors. That section mentions generating this treasure on Treasure Factor tables. Where are these tables? Sorry if this is a newb question, but I've scoured the book and can cannot find the tables. Thanks for any insight.

Chapter Nine of the RuneQuest 2 rules gives the mechanics for determining the Treasure Factor and the resulting Treasure.

Thanks for the reply. But ... it looks like the table for Treasure Factors in the RQII rulebook is a straight %roll table, whereas the procedure described in the Intro to the 'Plunder' section of the B&B book mentions rolling d8's and cross-referencing on different tables. I do not have a copy of the original 'Plunder' supplement, but I seem to recall (from looking through that book ages ago) that the first half of the book were these tables I'm looking for, and are described in the B&B 'Plunder' section introduction. These tables seem to have not been included in the reprint. 

52 minutes ago, measuredrums said:

I do not have a copy of the original 'Plunder' supplement, but I seem to recall (from looking through that book ages ago) that the first half of the book were these tables I'm looking for, and are described in the B&B 'Plunder' section introduction. These tables seem to have not been included in the reprint. 

Ah, you mean those tables. They are in the front of Plunder, and I imagine that they weren't included in the reprint because they are nineteen pages of tables.

I imagine that Plunder will eventually be re-released as a pdf.

Edited by M Helsdon

I loved the flavoursome items in Plunder, but those treasure factor tables were cumbersome and we just used the simpler RQ2 version instead. I was glad that part of Plunder wasn't reprinted in Borderlands & Beyond.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

They were heaps of pages, which wasn't really needed considering we already had a treasure factor table in the RQ2 corebook. I would of preferred more magic items instead. So if you have Borderlands & Beyond, you have all the magic items from the Plunder book, but are not really missing anything by not having all those pre-rolled treasure factor tables. 

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Thanks for clearing that up for me Folks! ... Perhaps when Rick and Co. re-laid out the supplements for inclusion in the B&B book they could have added an editorial note stating that "Yes!, there should be tables here, but we have not included them due to redundancy". Or, better yet, simply removed the instructional text that alluded to the tables from the original 'Plunder' book. Oh well. Sorry for the confusion .. and Thanks.

Dagnabbit, now I don't recall what it is -- and I'm away from home so I cannot consult my book -- but I recall (at least) one treasure in "Borderlands & Beyond" which is mentioned in the text (occurs in 5 Eyes Temple, IIRC) but isn't explained in the text... OR in the RQ2 rulebook !

I eventually found it via Google, but iirc it wasn't as easy-to-find as I had hoped.

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

now I don't recall what it is

You must mean the Spirit Chain, which is found in the 5 Eyes Temple and says to see the notes in the Referee's Book.

Comparing my original Borderlands Referee book to the Borderlands & Beyond book, Rick appears to have integrated the Borderlands Treasures in with the Plunder Treasures.  Except Spirit Chain appears to have been missed in the process.

Wow. I am happy and a bit embarrassed to find out that the Spirit Chain Plunder item was omitted from the Borderlands & Beyond Gloranthan Classic. Oddly, I do not remember anyone ever pointing this out to me before. Regardless, I am happy to provide it here, and will also make sure it is included in the Borderlands RQ Classic reprint due out in a few months.

Spirit Chain
Description
A gemstone looking something like a Power storage crystal, but not as brilliant.

Cults
Associated – Daka Fal, Kyger Litor, Thed.

Knowledge
Little Known.

History
These are thought to have the same origin as do Power storage crystals. They are activated by an unknown ritual. Its powers are unknown to virtually everyone but a few Lhankor Mhy sages, but if known, almost anyone would kill to obtain one.

Procedure
The procedure for creating a Spirit Chain has been lost.

Powers
When crushed, this stone will freeze all spirits within 40 meters to their place for 12 hours. If the spirit is moved out of the radius, the effect will continue on it for the full time period. Ghosts cannot move to attack, and spirits cannot leave the bodies they inhabit. Even a slain person’s spirit will stay with the body, though it will no longer animate it, and this effect will prolong the period before the spirit begins to lose knowledge of its spells and abilities by 12 hours.
The use of Sever Spirit will counteract the effect of this item on any one spirit within the radius.
The item can only be used once, then it becomes a simple gem, even if Repair is used on it.

Value
1D100 Lunars as a gem. If its properties are known, it may be worth up to 10,000 Lunars.

• Like 5

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Also, all those lovely pages of Treasure Tables will return in the RQ Classic version of Plunder, which is almost done.

I didn't include them in the Borderlands & Beyond book because I was lazy, I guess.

Edited by Rick Meints
  • Like 4

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 9/23/2016 at 7:06 AM, Darius West said:

I really enjoyed "Plunder".  Rick, you should start a page where people can donate ideas for new Gloranthan magic items a la Plunder with the possibility of getting them published.

I judged the Praxian Plunder contest over 20 years ago, way back in Tales 14! The winner was 

Rhino Helms - by John English
Description - The head of a rhino, crudely tanned and hollowed out to make a sort of helm-cum-mask. They tend to smell a bit.
Knowledge - Common.
Procedure - The helm is made pretty much the way you would expect it to be; the brain, skull and eyes are removed from the head of a dead rhino. An attempt at a very simple curing is made with ash (traditionally made from the burnt skull of the rhino) mixed with Rhino Fat. The Rhino Fat is made in the traditional way by simmering chunks of fat from a dead rhino for about a week. The fat, as with the ash does not have to come from the same rhino, although most people will tell you otherwise.
Powers - Rhino helms are traditionally worn in conjunction with a good coating of Rhino Fat over the body. With both helm and fat, the wearer becomes exceedingly confidant and is immune to the demoralise spell and similar powers, such as the howls of ghouls. However, more powerful magics such as Fear will still affect them. Even without the Rhino  GFat , the helm functions as 6 point head armour, but with the drawback of -25% to all perception based skills. Rhino helms are not very durable and generally fall apart within a year of manufacture unless some form of strengthening enchantment is applied to them.
Value - An unenchanted helm will generally sell for 500 Lunars.

Lets just setup our own Plunder page! In my opinion, the key to a good item is MGF, I had to look at a lot of boring items...

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/