Glorantha Quickstart

MOB

Something we announced at our RuneQuest panel at UK Games Expo on the weekend: we're bringing out a GLORANTHA QUICKSTART to go along with the RuneQuest Quickstart. It will be a user-friendly introduction to Greg Stafford's epic campaign world, ideal for newcomers to the wonders of Glorantha.

This is an excerpt of the cover (still a work-in-progress). It's by the amazingly talented Andre Fetisov, who also did the RQ Quickstart cover. It depicts the storm god Orlanth and his thanes, an assemblage of heroes and heroquesters (our warrior on the right has graduated from killing rock lizards...)

DBouvzEXsAQaal7.jpg:large

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Iskallor said:

After what seems like years of Jeff saying Sartarites are olive/dark skinned. Why are all the new RQ heroes so pasty?

Cool pic though. Is it just me who thinks they look like vikings ;)

I really like the Orlanth in the middle!

But...I have to agree with Iskallor. Pasty fantasy vikings? And only one woman, and in boob plate. That was a disappointment.

• Like 1

Please note what was said in the original post - this is an excerpt of a work-in-progress. When finished, the whole pic will be three times larger than the screen grab here.

BTW I see two women in the excerpt, and the one at Orlanth's side is wearing the same armour as the warrior on the cover of the RuneQuest Quickstart, because she is the same person. And that armour is a direct homage to Luise Perrine's wonderful cover art for the original Chaosium editions of the game.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Yinkin said:

I really like the Orlanth in the middle!

But...I have to agree with Iskallor. Pasty fantasy vikings? And only one woman, and in boob plate. That was a disappointment.

Complains about boob-plate and not enough women in picture.

Didn't recognize second woman as female because she's not wearing boob-plate.

I believe that's called irony, sir.

14 hours ago, Iskallor said:

After what seems like years of Jeff saying Sartarites are olive/dark skinned. Why are all the new RQ heroes so pasty?

Cool pic though. Is it just me who thinks they look like vikings ;)

Considering you can actually see a net of about 10% of the skin of any of them, that's working pretty hard to be offended.

From GtG: "Wareran: a fair to olive-skinned race that inhabit most of Genertela, and Umathela in Pamaltela"

If Jeff's saying it, it's probably a case of knowing the original source: http://glorantha.temppeli.org/digest/gd9/2003.08/2529.html

Date: Sun 24 Aug 2003 - 03:36:20 EEST

Hola Friends, 
>From: Mikko Rintasaari 
>One of the blanks is race. 

>Ok, it's not quite blank. We have a rather Aryan bunch in the Heortlings and the other "barbarian belt" orlanthi. Blondes and redheads abound, eyes of blue, green and gray. Easy image to grasp. Vikings, kelts and germanic tribes. 

Just for information sake, I´ve generally held that the Heortlings are brown skinned, not white, or pink, as it were. Artists, most European, have tended to draw everyone as pretty much white, though.

>But I for one don't like to see the rest of >Genertela cast from the same >mould. It's far more interesting, at least to me, >to look for variance. 

Me too. 
The only "aryan types" I´ve promoted are, like in our own Eurasia, crunched in the northwest corner.

>West Europe is such a clishé ©n fantasy. Also  >there's a desperate need for  >some cultural basis to use on names. Made up  >"fantasy names" can get >rather painful after a while. 

>So, here's some ideas. >  >The Lunar Empire? 

>I've always liked the the Solar culture to be more >or less greek in style. >The patriarchal Dara Happans naturally bring to >mind the ancient greeks >and the empire reminds one of that of persia. The >Plehora of lunar deities >is rather indian in style, so one can use that for >ideas about fashion and >such. 

>Still basically your classic "white men", but at >least not quite so >nordic (all this coming from a scandinavian, mind >you). 

The idea that Persians and even ancient Greeks were white guys is a modern misconception that I, for one, do not hold to.

This is not an attack on Mikko´s ideas or conceptions, but I do want to state, before your discussions start on this, that to me most people in Glorantha are some shade of brown, not anglos.

Sincerely, 
Greg Stafford

That said, FWIW Greg's belief that the ancient Greeks weren't 'white guys' has been largely put to bed...by DNA, by the analysis of pigments of contemporary art, by their own descriptions: unsurprisingly, the ancient Greeks were 'white guys' in pretty much the same way that modern Greeks are European "white guys" - ie a fair-to-olive-skinned race.

Much of that discussion is covered surprisingly well here https://www.quora.com/Were-the-Ancient-Greeks-and-Romans-white

YGMV.  In my game, it honestly pretty much never comes up.

• Like 1

This artwork above is good, but it reminds me of a MMO game or animation series. I think it definitely illustrates  Glorantha, but it just doesn't call out to me particularly as a RuneQuest piece, it feels too modern perhaps. Those Orlanthi definitely do need to be a bit more olive-skinned if they are meant to be depicting Esrolians, Sartarites, Hendreiki, or Pavisites. Maybe they are from further north and closer to Valind's Glacier, somewhere like Aggar perhaps? Anyway it's a work in progress, so it'll be interesting to see the finished product.  Not enough boob plate LOL

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I agree that referencing the original character from the old RQ covers is a great idea

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I hope we see some tattoos, like Orlanth's, added in the final version. They seem notable by their absence at the moment (yes, I know they could be under their armour, but they're not *all* going to be under their armour).

Edit - excellent idea for the booklet though, I can't wait to see it.

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3

Yes having a separate booklet for setting introduction is a good idea

I also think both booklets may be excellent to include with a nice GM screen down the track, as a 'starter bundle' perhaps.

Edited by Mankcam

On 6/7/2017 at 2:37 PM, Mankcam said:

This artwork above is good, but it reminds me of a MMO game or animation series. 

Well if you want to appeal to a new generation of gamers you need to use the visual language they are familiar with. :-)

• Like 3

Well if it gets newbies away from consoles and sitting at the gaming table then I'm can't argue with that :)

• Like 3