If not Stormbringer, what then?

Jakob

This may be a wee bit self-promotional, but I think The Wheel of Time would work well for BRP.  There is plenty of world background to draw on, and the magic system is structured enough to work well in an RPG.

EDIT: I say self-promotional because I'm working on a WoT BRP ruleset myself.  There's a thread here.

Edited by Daniel Stevenson
Clarifying a statement.

Three Musketeers? ( I just want to open up the Public Domain stuff outside the Victorian Era-although I would add Jules Verne into the Victorian mix.)

For a licensed setting Castle Frankenstein  has been licensed out before and would adapt fairly well to RQ mechanics. Although  I think BRP/RQ3/CoC is better for this sort of thing that RQ2/RQG.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

So once a year and on the occasional evening during the year I run a SF track at JordanCon here in the ATL.  Obviously it was born from people who are fans of The Wheel of Time. Of what little I know, getting the license would be complex and layered. Chaosium might have the gravitas to pull it off though.

I also have a ton of SF settings that I think would work, but one of them - an homage to Smith's Lensmen (sort of) I am working on myself with Runed Worlds, and the rest I would wait anyway to see what Chris Spivey has up his sleeves. Pretty excited to see what he will do with that.

I know Brandon Sanderson is a gamer and so one of his properties might be a good choice.

But if I were going to suggest something that had a similar feel to Moorcock's work, well at least a similar bleakness, would be Black Company. 

Some of Mercedes Lackey's stuff would work too.

And Gormenghast. I know BBC did a series or such. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/

Ken Hite's 'The Day After Ragnarock' setting would be done quite well with BRP, rather than Savage Worlds or Fate or whatever it was put into.

I also wish we had seen a new version of Sarah Newton's ' Chronicles of Future Earth' for BRP. This had huge potential.

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, Sean_RDP said:

So once a year and on the occasional evening during the year I run a SF track at JordanCon here in the ATL.  Obviously it was born from people who are fans of The Wheel of Time. Of what little I know, getting the license would be complex and layered. Chaosium might have the gravitas to pull it off though.

Oh yeah.  The WoT license is a mess.  I read something about it when I learned about the upcoming TV show.

2 hours ago, Sean_RDP said:

I also have a ton of SF settings that I think would work, but one of them - an homage to Smith's Lensmen (sort of) I am working on myself with Runed Worlds, and the rest I would wait anyway to see what Chris Spivey has up his sleeves. Pretty excited to see what he will do with that.

That's what I forgot—Lensman!  That is a setting I would like to see.  I started reading it, but never actually finished—I couldn't find a copy of one of the books.  Funny thing is that I actually discovered Lensman from a GURPS 3e supplement I found at my local game store.  I was curious, Googled it, and read a few of the books, but my players weren't interested.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jakob said:

Also, with a setting like Middle-Earth or the Star Trek Universe, players often come with quite clear expectations, which might not be met by the actual campaign ... 

I heartily agree with this.  Also, I'd like to point out that although tweaking an established engine works for most things, building a system from the ground up, or at least choosing one carefully, is a great help in conveying the "feel" of a work, especially for well-known worlds that players will come into with strong expectations.  The One Ring RPG is a great example of this.

• Like 1

Actually Chaosium already have a Fantasy Earth game out there in the form of Mythic Iceland. Further games in that vein could work, although The Design Mechanism has land-grabbed Mythic Britain and Mythic Rome.

I say use the RuneQuest name and logo. It’s as BRP as anything mechanically and has made a massive splash in the market. Ride the wave. 

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

2 hours ago, Mankcam said:

I also wish we had seen a new version of Sarah Newton's ' Chronicles of Future Earth' for BRP. This had huge potential.

Me too. I think there's actually still a chance of that. The Mythras CoFE is off the table (which, on the other hand, is a pity ...), and Sarah Newton seems very involved with Chaosium right now.

27 minutes ago, simonh said:

Actually Chaosium already have a Fantasy Earth game out there in the form of Mythic Iceland. Further games in that vein could work, although The Design Mechanism has land-grabbed Mythic Britain and Mythic Rome.

That doesn't prevent Chasoium from doing their own Britain or Rome supplements. Or even making a deal with the guys at DM to do RQ versions (unlikely, but possible). Heck, with all these D100 mostly compatible games out there, I'd love to see the companies get together and do cross-system supplements like in the old Thieves World days. It would probably be fairly easy to do a book compatible with  BRP/Mythas/OpenQuest/Revolution/etc.  At least easy mechanically. It might even help the companies involved too. OGL did wonders for WotC and D20. Not that I expect that to happen. 

27 minutes ago, simonh said:

I say use the RuneQuest name and logo. It’s as BRP as anything mechanically and has made a massive splash in the market. Ride the wave. 

But then we'd have to adapt the setting to RQ, which, currently, is heavily integrated with Glorantha. We might not want Rune Magic, Spirit Magic, Rune Lords, etc. in a setting. Historically, that's been the approach that Chaosium did when adapting stuff to RQ.

BRP, however is generic and would be easier to customize the rules to fit a setting or genre. Now, once Fantasy Earth comes out and we see what its' like (i.e do we get RQ style cult writeups for Norse, Greco-Roman, Egyptian, or even Christian religions ala RQ2/RQ3, or something different)

13 minutes ago, Atgxtg said:

But then we'd have to adapt the setting to RQ, which, currently, is heavily integrated with Glorantha. We might not want Rune Magic, Spirit Magic, Rune Lords, etc. in a setting. Historically, that's been the approach that Chaosium did when adapting stuff to RQ.

BRP, however is generic and would be easier to customize the rules to fit a setting or genre. Now, once Fantasy Earth comes out and we see what its' like (i.e do we get RQ style cult writeups for Norse, Greco-Roman, Egyptian, or even Christian religions ala RQ2/RQ3, or something different)

IIRC Jeff has said that for Runequest: Fantasy Earth and Runequest: Mythic Iceland that they will be using the RQ:G rules MINUS Glorantha-specific material (e.g. runes and magic). As this is essentially just BRP, I assume the Runequest brand is just so that it will be more recognizable to larger audiences.

1 hour ago, Daniel Stevenson said:

The One Ring RPG is a great example of this.

It's a really great RPG, and it actually has a lot in common with RQG - regional focus, how it stresses the importance of community, seasonal play ... I'm pretty sure that the chaosium team took some inspiration from Francesco Nepitello's The One Ring when designing RGQ.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Jakob said:

It's a really great RPG, and it actually has a lot in common with RQG - regional focus, how it stresses the importance of community, seasonal play ... I'm pretty sure that the chaosium team took some inspiration from Francesco Nepitello's The One Ring when designing RGQ.

Perhaps it was somewhat influential, but much of the "new" RQ rules (Passions, Runes, seasonal play) are adapted from Pendragon, which is, after all, Greg's game.  I wouldn't be surprised if Francesco Nepitello got some of his ideas from Pendragon, though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Daniel Stevenson said:

Perhaps it was somewhat influential, but much of the "new" RQ rules (Passions, Runes, seasonal play) are adapted from Pendragon, which is, after all, Greg's game.  I wouldn't be surprised if Francesco Nepitello got some of his ideas from Pendragon, though.

I think he actually made that explicit - "The Darkening of Mirkwood", the big generational TOR campaign, has been inspired by the Great Pendragon Campaign. And there's also some quote from Francesco Nepitello about RQG out there, where he praises it along the lines of "taking RPGs to a new level."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jakob said:

I think he actually made that explicit - "The Darkening of Mirkwood", the big generational TOR campaign, has been inspired by the Great Pendragon Campaign. And there's also some quote from Francesco Nepitello about RQG out there, where he praises it along the lines of "taking RPGs to a new level."

I guess he knows a good game when he sees it!

1 minute ago, Jakob said:

Yeah, I think he did. TOR also has a mechanic for having a heir and passing things on to a new character, much like

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

IIRC Jeff has said that for Runequest: Fantasy Earth and Runequest: Mythic Iceland that they will be using the RQ:G rules MINUS Glorantha-specific material (e.g. runes and magic).

Good. So they won't do like the did in the past and we won't get RQ Viking, Land of the Ninja style cult writeup. 

1 hour ago, Richard S. said:

As this is essentially just BRP, I assume the Runequest brand is just so that it will be more recognizable to larger audiences.

There is stuff like Strike Ranks/DEX Ranks, ripostes, Hit Point formulas and such from the  various iterations of the system. I suspect some settings would work better with some of the alternate game mechanics.  

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

Good. So they won't do like the did in the past and we won't get RQ Viking, Land of the Ninja style cult writeup.

I think there's a lot of flexibility around that. It will be up to the authors, so a cult type framework might work in some cases such as ancient Egypt maybe, but not others. The full palette will be available to whoever develops the line.

1 hour ago, Atgxtg said:

There is stuff like Strike Ranks/DEX Ranks, ripostes, Hit Point formulas and such from the  various iterations of the system. I suspect some settings would work better with some of the alternate game mechanics.  

Jeff discussed this a bit at Eternal Con, it looks like again it will be up to whoever the author(s) are. I think it would be good if the 'Fantasy Earth' games as a group had a common set of core game mechanics, but it's still open what form that will take.

I prefer a DEX rank system for initiative per Elric, but even if they go with Strike Ranks it's no big deal for me. I used the Elric core mechanics, mated with the RQ3 magic system very successfully for over a decade and can easily do the same with RQG.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

11 minutes ago, simonh said:

Jeff discussed this a bit at Eternal Con, it looks like again it will be up to whoever the author(s) are. I think it would be good if the 'Fantasy Earth' games as a group had a common set of core game mechanics, but it's still open what form that will take.

I suppose this is one of Jason's taks as line manager: keeping things consistent, while allowing them to vary enough to adapt to different settings.

3 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

That doesn't prevent Chasoium from doing their own Britain or Rome supplements. Or even making a deal with the guys at DM to do RQ versions (unlikely, but possible). Heck, with all these D100 mostly compatible games out there, I'd love to see the companies get together and do cross-system supplements like in the old Thieves World days. It would probably be fairly easy to do a book compatible with  BRP/Mythas/OpenQuest/Revolution/etc.  At least easy mechanically. It might even help the companies involved too. OGL did wonders for WotC and D20. Not that I expect that to happen. 

Honestly, it would be a waste of space.  The systems are 80%-90% compatible with one another, reprinting a statblock to change one tenth of it is not what I would call "an efficient usage of the dead bodies of oxygen-producing organisms". Any semi-experienced GM can convert between d100 systems on the fly.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:26 AM, Mankcam said:

I agree that Bas-Lag could be a great setting for BRP 

Bas-Lag was originally picked-up by Adamant Entertainment, and they were considering BRP as the core system. They never developed the property though, and I believe China Mieville is pursuing discussions with another company.

• Like 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

48 minutes ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

Bas-Lag was originally picked-up by Adamant Entertainment, and they were considering BRP as the core system. They never developed the property though, and I believe China Mieville is pursuing discussions with another company.

Would certainly be nice if something came of it! I had heard about the Adamant Entertainment license before, but it really seems like a company that doesn't do anything at all ... and actually, it looks like their website is down at the moment.

Skarka, the owner of Adamant, had a serious health problem some years ago - one that can easily kill you. I had it 40 years ago, and my father last year (he did not survive), and believe me, it compromises your health. Before this episode, Adamant was an extremely active company, and Skarka was the coordinator of the CB7 partnership program when it included literally dozens of partners.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

Honestly, it would be a waste of space.  The systems are 80%-90% compatible with one another, reprinting a statblock to change one tenth of it is not what I would call "an efficient usage of the dead bodies of oxygen-producing organisms". Any semi-experienced GM can convert between d100 systems on the fly.

You wouldn't have to reprint statblock, just expand them a little. Add in SR or Combat Actions, put in RQG and BRP Hit Point values, alternate damage bonuses for games that use a different db progression-just add in the handful of things that are missing. I think it would make things easier for all those semi-experienced GMs. 

5 hours ago, simonh said:

Great. That will make it much easier to adapt the rules to specific settings as opposed to shoehorning the setting to fit  the rules (think AD&D)

5 hours ago, simonh said:

I prefer a DEX rank system for initiative per Elric, but even if they go with Strike Ranks it's no big deal for me. I used the Elric core mechanics, mated with the RQ3 magic system very successfully for over a decade and can easily do the same with RQG.

I prefer SR since it is one of the few methods where someone with a loaded and ready gun or crossbow will get a shot off before an opponent can cross the room and attack in melee, but with me it depends on the setting and style of the game.

1 minute ago, Atgxtg said:

You wouldn't have to reprint statblock, just expand them a little. Add in SR or Combat Actions, put in RQG and BRP Hit Point values, alternate damage bonuses for games that use a different db progression-just add in the handful of things that are missing. I think it would make things easier for all those semi-experienced GMs. 

Do you think so? My idea is that anyone who could not do the conversion on his own would be extremely confused by such a "multiversal" statblock. Just think of the different names of skills in the different systems. We could open another thread and try making such a statblock example, just as an experiment.