Herders nerfed?

PhilHibbs

I think the starting skills for Herder are a bit mean - Scan and Track only +10? Really, those should be the core skills for a herder. Sure, they get 3 skills at +30 which is about average, but Peaceful Cut and Herd are hardly great adventuring skills.

Same for Hunter - Scan +10 seems a bit mean. These two professions should have fantastic perception skills.

Edited by PhilHibbs

56 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

but Peaceful Cut and Herd are hardly great adventuring skills.

Until you try to run the Quickstart adventure without them!  Trying to round up dispersed cattle without the Herd skill is really, really hard.  (And if you want to quest for Bergilmer's cattle, you want someone with really good herding skills.)

Yes, the quickstart adventure is good for Herders but on a more general note, being a Herder can be usefull they have scan, track, animal lore, climb or jump ... plus a cult for which some of these skill are starting skills Ernalda with Plant/animal lore at character creation but you could choose Odayla if you want to be a good tracker. Most importantly in RQG you can be quite good with any skill you want to prioritize. 

Edited by jps

9 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I think the starting skills for Herder are a bit mean - Scan and Track only +10? Really, those should be the core skills for a herder. Sure, they get 3 skills at +30 which is about average, but Peaceful Cut and Herd are hardly great adventuring skills.

Same for Hunter - Scan +10 seems a bit mean. These two professions should have fantastic perception skills.

I don't really want "dual-class Adventurer-Herders."  Scan and Track are 2ndary skills -- you only REALLY need them after you fail your Herd skill-roll. 

I've got to agree that Scan seems pretty central to a Hunter's skillset, however...

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 minutes ago, g33k said:

I don't really want "dual-class Adventurer-Herders."  Scan and Track are 2ndary skills -- you only REALLY need them after you fail your Herd skill-roll. 

I've got to agree that Scan seems pretty central to a Hunter's skillset, however...

Well, they only need it if they fail their track roll.

52 minutes ago, g33k said:

Herders need to keep an eye out for predators and raiders. Track, sure I agree.

13 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Have you ever herded sheep or cattle Phil? 

And if you ever try to raid cattle, you'll want someone with a good Herd more than anything else.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Have you ever herded sheep or cattle Phil? 

And if you ever try to raid cattle, you'll want someone with a good Herd more than anything else.

Actually yes I have herded sheep. But you're right, I wasn't very good at it! Our dog was, she made up for our incompetence.

My main point was that a bit more in the perception category would be nice.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Scan is quite essential for herder, but it may be that herding skill maybe include perceptions done in work. Herder must be aware of behavior of herding animals, surroundings, any sick or wounded animals, so they can take care of. Without scanning herd, they cannot spot any problems animals may have. 

It is not unheard, that somebody have lost cows, horses, sheeps, because those run off. It is not so, that herder uses tracking, but certain knowledge, where to find them. Some run off just over the fence to eat better grass, and others may run off because male smelled good mate. So, they should use more herding skill to find missing animals than tracking.

Hunters, who hunt by ambushing use scan, while trappers not so much.

3 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

Actually yes I have herded sheep. But you're right, I wasn't very good at it! Our dog was, she made up for our incompetence.

My main point was that a bit more in the perception category would be nice.

My father and his brothers herded both cattle and sheep, growing up on a ranch in central Colorado. His grandfather was a cowboy who ended up being one of the founders of the Colorado Cattlemen's Association back in 1867, so they all had a rich family history of herding. Talking to them, Scan as defined in the game is not nearly as important as being able to communicate with and work with the "lead" animal (usually a female, at least with cattle and sheep). A herder is not a military scout!

And if you ever decide to raid someone else's cattle or steal that magical bull - you better hope you have someone with a good Herd skill! We were noticing that just a few weeks ago, while watching a herdsman lead his herd of twelve cattle down the path to another pasture. The herder "spoke" to the lead cow and with surprising speed got all twelve out of one pasture, down the road, and into another pasture. 

• Like 2

I've had some limited experience with cattle.  There's the issue of corralling stragglers, which are generally less likely to be moved off their track.  (Especially with cattle, which I am convinced are the dumbest animals on the face of the earth.  6 am 'cattle calls' where one or more of the walking stomachs had somehow worked its way through barbed wire were a weekly occurrence.)

You can physically move a sheep.  Try it with a cow.

Edited by Yelm's Light

4 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

I've had some limited experience with cattle.  There's the issue of corralling stragglers, which are generally less likely to be moved off their track.  (Especially with cattle, which I am convinced are the dumbest animals on the face of the earth.  6 am 'cattle calls' where one or more of the walking stomachs had somehow worked its way through barbed wire were a weekly occurrence.)

You can physically move a sheep.  Try it with a cow.

Hah - well, my understanding is that sheep are even dumber. At least cows don't gorge on wet grass until they bloat themselves to death. At least that was never a problem for my dad (but boy he has tales of the various horrors associated with sheep, bloat, maggots, and other fun stuff).

Cattle can get bloat, and it will kill them.  Biggest time was when you first turned them out in the spring onto fresh grass after they had been eating hay all winter.  Of course there was always some genius/idiot that got through the fence early which is why not only do I know a lot about treating bloat, but also why I joined the Army at 18.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zozotroll said:

Cattle can get bloat, and it will kill them.  Biggest time was when you first turned them out in the spring onto fresh grass after they had been eating hay all winter.  Of course there was always some genius/idiot that got through the fence early which is why not only do I know a lot about treating bloat, but also why I joined the Army at 18.

You know, that is exactly what my dad did at the same age (admittedly it was 1954). He never had a problem with cow bloat, but sheep bloat was a pain every spring,