Devotee Plot Obstacles

Bohemond

My Ernaldan PC decided last night that she wanted to become a devotee of Orane. It was a bit spur of the moment, so I hadn't prepared anything. The rules say that the PC has to overcome a Plot Obstacle. So I ruled that she had to decorate herself as Orane and then go out and gather the components of her Necklace of Enlivenment from members of the community. If I'd have had a bit more lead-in I could have developed it into a more elaborate scene, but it worked well enough. 

I'm wondering what sort of Plot Obstacles people have come up with for devotees of various cults? Just curiosity, mostly, but also looking for ideas for when other PCs devote to gods. 

Edited by Bohemond
  • Like 1

Convincing the High Priest/Examiner that they're worthy of the office is the 'classic' one. In many Cults there may be Politics involved; if it's a spur-of-the-moment thing the Cult they're progressing in might be suspicious of motives.

Convincing the God they're worthy: weeny 'dream-Heroquest', or this-world HQ, maybe?

On 12/6/2018 at 12:37 AM, Bohemond said:

The rules say that the PC has to overcome a Plot Obstacle.

My advice about anything regarding HeroQuest - Ignore what the rules say.

Seriously, for me, the strength of HeroQuest is the really simple and elegant rules system, which can be put on pone page of A4. Anything else is surplus.

However, in this case, it makes sense to overcome something to become a Devotee. I wouldn't do it as a Plot Obstacle myself, but would have it a something that naturally comes out in a scenario, as a reward from a HeroQuest or as the result of a challenge that you have to overcome to become a Devotee.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, Bohemond said:

My Ernaldan PC decided last night that she wanted to become a devotee of Orane. It was a bit spur of the moment, so I hadn't prepared anything. The rules say that the PC has to overcome a Plot Obstacle. So I ruled that she had to decorate herself as Orane and then go out and gather the components of her Necklace of Enlivenment from members of the community.

Has she had a child yet?  If not, that's the obvious plot obstacle.  She must charm and seduce a man (perhaps having to take on the appearance of a hag to do so), then gather the components of the Necklace of Enlivenment (shedding the disguise of the hag in the process), and beget a child.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:37 AM, Bohemond said:

My Ernaldan PC decided last night that she wanted to become a devotee of Orane. It was a bit spur of the moment, so I hadn't prepared anything. The rules say that the PC has to overcome a Plot Obstacle. So I ruled that she had to decorate herself as Orane and then go out and gather the components of her Necklace of Enlivenment from members of the community. If I'd have had a bit more lead-in I could have developed it into a more elaborate scene, but it worked well enough. I'm wondering what sort of Plot Obstacles people have come up with for devotees of various cults? Just curiosity, mostly, but also looking for ideas for when other PCs devote to gods. 

Given that Orane had to trade her clothes for the necklace, and the necklace simply made her ultra-sexy and she was already naked, things started to get uncomfortable for her as she walked home.  Walking home naked with a huge appearance boost in the middle of Beast Valley with all those centaurs, satyrs and minotaurs, then having to wander through Yemalio  Sun Valley territory sounds like a dreadful ordeal.  I wouldn't wish it on a duck trickster.

1 hour ago, Darius West said:

Given that Orane had to trade her clothes for the necklace, and the necklace simply made her ultra-sexy and she was already naked, things started to get uncomfortable for her as she walked home.  Walking home naked with a huge appearance boost in the middle of Beast Valley with all those centaurs, satyrs and minotaurs, then having to wander through Yemalio  Sun Valley territory sounds like a dreadful ordeal.  I wouldn't wish it on a duck trickster.

To a trickster, that (and the unsolicited attention) wouldn't be much of an ordeal and a lot of an orgy.

• Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 minutes ago, Darius West said:

I suppose there's more than one way to hollow out a duck.

You mean to stuff it? Apart from apples or minced meat and herbs, or de-boned chicken?

Edited by Joerg
  • Haha 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

21 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

"Get regurgitated" or "Survive Digestive Tract" seems like a spell Eurmal would provide.

When the PC's in my HQG game got swallowed by a Trickster to escape the stockade in the midst of the Lunar army camp, I was expecting them to await to be regurgitated.  Instead they took the side door from above the Trickster's stomach into the Other Side. 😲  You have to be careful when dealing with Tricksters.