NPC / Enemy sheet?

JohannesH

Has anyone made a simple excel sheet or similar for less important NPC's or enemies for RQG he / she would like to share? Those in the guide book & bestiary are too detailed for single-use cannon fodder. My excel skill is 05%...

There are a couple nice generators online, but those are for Mytthras or RQ3 (the latter is more easy to convert to RQG, but with very limited types of enemies). What I like in generators is the possibility to get some random spells to throw at the PC's.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohannesH said:

There are a couple nice generators online, but those are for Mytthras or RQ3 (the latter is more easy to convert to RQG, but with very limited types of enemies). What I like in generators is the possibility to get some random spells to throw at the PC's. 

I'm working on one right now but it will be a few more weeks (at least, depending on family and work) before it's in a state that is usable by anyone but me.  Initially it will have the ability to generate generic enemies and opponents based on the creatures in bestiary.  It will include variant selections for spells, weapons, and other items to give some uniqueness to encounters.

Follow up features will include the creation of more specific human, aldramyi, mostali, uz, etc. groups of NPC opponents and the ability to scale creatures abilities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2019 at 6:46 PM, Septimus Kendaro said:

I'm working on one right now but it will be a few more weeks (at least, depending on family and work) before it's in a state that is usable by anyone but me.  Initially it will have the ability to generate generic enemies and opponents based on the creatures in bestiary.  It will include variant selections for spells, weapons, and other items to give some uniqueness to encounters.

Follow up features will include the creation of more specific human, aldramyi, mostali, uz, etc. groups of NPC opponents and the ability to scale creatures abilities.

How's this going?

2 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Funny you should ask.  It’s still pretty rough and there will be bugs but it’s coming along.

Check it out here:

https://basicroleplaying.net/adversaries/

Once I get it a bit further along I’ll make a more general announcement.

Oh, wow... that's not at all what I was thinking. That's so much cooler! 

I created some Tusk Raiders. I noticed that they all worshipped Mostal and even when I selected Old school or Classics they didn't have Defense. I don't know if that's just for selecting print out format?

30 minutes ago, Tywyll said:

Oh, wow... that's not at all what I was thinking. That's so much cooler! 

I created some Tusk Raiders. I noticed that they all worshipped Mostal and even when I selected Old school or Classics they didn't have Defense. I don't know if that's just for selecting print out format?

Thanks.  Sorry it wasn’t what you were looking for though.  Tusk Riders are fixed.  Must have copied the Mostali dataset as a template and missed the cult section.  Probably a lot of other bugs still too though not too bad for a few weeks of intermittent work.

Edited by Septimus Kendaro
Edit: and posting from my phone still sucks. :-)

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

1 minute ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

Thanks.  Sorry it wasn’t what you were looking for though.  Tusk Riders are fixed.  Most have copied the Mostali dataset as a template and missed the cult section.  Probably a lot of other bugs still too though not too bad for a few weeks of intermittent work.

Oh, no please, what you've done is AWESOME! I was just looking for something easy to jot down stuff, especially from modules or what not.

Believe me, I'll be using your generator to fill a lot of NPC sheets with stat... ;D

• 9 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 4:48 PM, JohannesH said:

Has anyone made a simple excel sheet or similar for less important NPC's or enemies for RQG he / she would like to share? Those in the guide book & bestiary are too detailed for single-use cannon fodder.

This made me think about the minimum statline for throw-away enemies you could get away with. You need some weapons (with SR and damage bonus) and maybe a few skills. You need HP and "base" Hit Location HP (which you then modify up or down by a point depending on hit location). You need POW (because of how the PC will be throwing spells on them, for POW gain if nothing else), and usually some spells and MP. You can probably get away with rolling up or improvising some stats if they become suddenly relevant (like Strength if a PC decides to Knockback).

This seems like it would be enough in most simple combat situations. A skeleton or wolf is unlikely to require anything more.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, heldrungen said:

Hi, is this great work still in progress? Would be very helpful. TYVM

Yes, it's still being worked on but it's already usable!

https://basicroleplaying.net/adversaries/

All creatures from the Bestiary have been added except for unique monsters and spirits which I'm still thinking about how to handle.  And NPCs which require a bit more depth.  I'm currently working on both of NPCs and Spirits.  I've created a couple of more output formats which should be out in the next release.  I'm also adding a feature to allow you to save the existing data and re-apply it with a different format as well as download a plain text version.  Currently you can use print and Save as PDF to export.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

2 hours ago, tnli said:

Dan Z, I seem to have problem with choosing most NPC's? Is it because only a human farmer, a duck toughie and few others have been implemented so far? If that is the case, might I suggest that you only have the implemented ones on the list? 

Yes, this is also my question. Glad to hear, that you are still working on the project.

On 3/9/2019 at 3:48 PM, JohannesH said:

Has anyone made a simple excel sheet or similar for less important NPC's or enemies for RQG he / she would like to share? Those in the guide book & bestiary are too detailed for single-use cannon fodder.

I use the NPC and Squad sheets in the GM Screen Pack, they are pretty straightforward.

1607858986_Screenshot2020-02-26at15_30_53.png.567d126750355223aaffd26881fe4239.png

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 4 months later...
On 4/27/2019 at 5:30 PM, Dan Z said:

Check it out here:

I’ve a (possibly similar) program that generates NPCs.  It’s all data driven, so I think it can handle most in the Bestiary (I’ve only done humans, baboons, horses, and gargoyles) 

I’ve dropped outputs in the downloads section, so you see what it generates:

https://basicroleplaying.org/files/file/833-npc-squads-txtzip-npc-squads-pdfzip/

It uses a data file to drives it all.  Mostly lists of weighted probabilities for stuff.  It weights cults/weapons etc. to the NPC’s runes, and it tries to be intelligent with the probabilities for weapons and armour, so the equipment doesn’t look completely random (whilst matching STR DEX and Enc limits).

Anyway, what you see in the down loads are all computer generated, without moderation (or deletion/selection), and the first run sets.

If anyone is interested, I’m happy to share the code, or design ideas, or collaborate. It’s windows .Net, C#, and driven by XML data files.  However, it’s designed for my own use (written, in haste, precisely because I have very little spare-time to generate NPCs), I’ve made no attempt for it to be user friendly, and input is solely by editing a XML data file, fine for those who’re happy with XML and have a decent editor!

Stephen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Stephen L said:

I’ve a (possibly similar) program that generates NPCs.  It’s all data driven, so I think it can handle most in the Bestiary (I’ve only done humans, baboons, horses, and gargoyles) 

I’ve dropped outputs in the downloads section, so you see what it generates:

https://basicroleplaying.org/files/file/833-npc-squads-txtzip-npc-squads-pdfzip/

It uses a data file to drives it all.  Mostly lists of weighted probabilities for stuff.  It weights cults/weapons etc. to the NPC’s runes, and it tries to be intelligent with the probabilities for weapons and armour, so the equipment doesn’t look completely random (whilst matching STR DEX and Enc limits).

Anyway, what you see in the down loads are all computer generated, without moderation (or deletion/selection), and the first run sets.

If anyone is interested, I’m happy to share the code, or design ideas, or collaborate. It’s windows .Net, C#, and driven by XML data files.  However, it’s designed for my own use (written, in haste, precisely because I have very little spare-time to generate NPCs), I’ve made no attempt for it to be user friendly, and input is solely by editing a XML data file, fine for those who’re happy with XML and have a decent editor!

Stephen.

That's fantastic.  I'd love to take a look at it. You're welcome to look at my code as well though I'll be honest it's a bit of a mess right now since it's been a lot of intermittent work over far too long of a time.  I wrote it in PHP because that's what my server supports, and the Chaosium fan license prevents the distribution of standalone applications, but I think it works similarly. It's all data-driven (with some code to handle the odd exceptions for creatures, such as giants whose stats are based on size). I'm using JSON instead of XML but does the same sort of thing with weighting. It sounds like yours is further along code-wise. I probably spent way too much time doing data entry for the bestiary instead of coding. There are many exceptions to how things work with creatures, and I was trying to identify most of them before coding.

• Thanks 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

I've send through the code, if I've succeeded with the BRP messaging system.  Hope it's of use.

I see you're a door keeper to cats.  Ours is cute, fluffy and cuddly.  Who'd have thought he could be such a mass murderer?  I'm continually surprised how there can be any wildlife left near us...

Stephen.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:19 PM, Stephen L said:

I've send through the code, if I've succeeded with the BRP messaging system.  Hope it's of use.

I see you're a door keeper to cats.  Ours is cute, fluffy and cuddly.  Who'd have thought he could be such a mass murderer?  I'm continually surprised how there can be any wildlife left near us...

Stephen.

Oh, yes, we have four and they love us but the birds, squirrels, and other assorted creatures their size and smaller are sure to think they are a bunch of psycho-killers.  They're probably treat us the same is we weren't so much larger than they are.  They're certainly good at getting me to stop what I'm doing and open the door to let them out.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

• 2 months later...

If anyone finds them useful, I've updated the downloads with some squads of NPCs I’ve generated. It is now version 1.3 to add loads of baddies.  In addition to the Orlanth and Lunar fold, there are now Uz, Chaos monsters, Beast men, Dinosaurs of all types and… Ducks.  

Be warned, now the program can do Chaos features.

a link for those interested:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1