RQ 6 and Mythras

Bill the barbarian

Hey guys, I am a proud owner of RQ 6 the leatherbound slip cover and found it a very good rule book and a very interesting take on BRP. I decided I would wait for AiG to be released before playing it and well...

So my question is; how far removed is Mythras 3ed from RQ 6 (it is built on the RQ 6 engine right?)?

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
RQ 6

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Mythras has all references to Glorantha and runes removed , a few typos cleared up and clarifications made plus a rewrite of the Animisim section to make it more understandable. There's also some extra Special Effects but that's about it.

Some folks here have been playing games in Glorantha using Mythras/RQ6 without any issues for several years and will probably chip in with specific advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nigel

Thanx folks for answers and as to the offers on helping with RQ in Glorantaha using the Mytrras rules, I have a feeling that if I am going to use RQ 6 it will be for mythic Europe, I already have three ways to play RQ in Glorantha that all work quite fine. (and 4 ways to play in Glorantha , with the inclusion of Dragon Pass).

Cheers

6 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

mythic Europe

then do note that The Design Mechanism has Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain, and Mythic Constantinople in that space, all covering different time periods of european places (with less of that in Constantinople but still good). Rome covers up to the end of the republic, Britain covers the the 400s, and constantinople around 1400.

3 hours ago, Raleel said:

then do note that The Design Mechanism has Mythic Rome, Mythic Britain, and Mythic Constantinople in that space, all covering different time periods of european places (with less of that in Constantinople but still good). Rome covers up to the end of the republic, Britain covers the the 400s, and constantinople around 1400.

Hmm, so a bit (lot) of hand wavery would be required to use the 3 together?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Hmm, so a bit (lot) of hand wavery would be required to use the 3 together?

1 tiny handwave:  allow time-travel so PC's from the different era's could crossover.

Q.V. the dimension-travelling of Luther Arkwright, another Mythras/RQ6 engined game.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

1 tiny handwave:  allow time-travel so PC's from the different era's could crossover.

I was thinking that might be a solution. From hand wavery to timey whimey to quote the good doctor.

3 minutes ago, g33k said:

Q.V. the dimension-travelling of Luther Arkwright, another Mythras/RQ6 engined game. 

Pray, tell me more good sir.

Just now, Bill the barbarian said:

Pray, tell me more good sir.

TDM licensed "Luther Arkwright," a seminal British graphic novel series.

Lots of alt-science / wierd-science, some steampunk-y and similar retro-future & other sci-fi vibes, psionic/psychic powers, Nazi-punching, tragically flawed heroes, etc.

I think I remember a decent precis of it on Wikipedia, though Google will let you take you a deeper dive; or, of course, track down the original source matter.  If you know of Moorcock's "Jerry Cornelius" character, many find interesting similarities; tho I understand the authors got together and agreed each was deeply into their own works before their first exposure to the other's.

And, of course, look to TDM's own website, which has enough info to at least give some quick flavor...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

Jerry Cornelius" character, many find interesting similarities; tho I understand the authors got together and agreed each was deeply into their own works before their first exposure to the other's.

Jerry Cornelius, time traveler, mod circa 1960's London, Eternal Champion, who lives in a abandoned Nazi Pillbox on the WW II impregnable Atlantic wall. Now I am intrigued.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Jerry Cornelius, time traveler, mod circa 1960's London, Eternal Champion, who lives in a abandoned Nazi Pillbox on the WW II impregnable Atlantic wall. Now I am intrigued.

<cue ringing, heroic tones>

My work here is done!

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Playing the role of raleel while he sleeps is g33k. ;) no need for me to add any more really.

The systems are all compatible, though there are specific tunings for parts (Mythic Britain has a neat little superstition ruleset, Mythic Constantinople has some alterations to sorcery to give it a feel, etc). As with most d100, pretty easy to pick and choose between them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quite the review, I think if I read you right, you are still on the fence but are warming to it...
Only had time for half of it and will read the rest tomorrow.

Cheers

And thanks Pentallion, I think I will put this in line (and get to it soon!)... RQ has all my attention and possibly all my next years allowance right now. Zounds, the GaGoG and GM's book will be coming out soon (ish), if my wallet takes one more hit and rolls one more fumble it won't be pretty... sigh.

Brother can you spare a blog?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Quite the review, I think if I read you right, you are still on the fence but are warming to it...

Cheers

And thanks Pentallion, I think I will put this in line (and get to it soon!)... RQ has all my attention and possibly all my next years allowance right now. Zounds, the GaGoG and GM's book will be coming out soon (ish), if my wallet takes one more hit and rolls one more fumble it won't be pretty... sigh.

Brother can you spare a blog?

Not to mention the Smoking Ruins, which has new scenarios from myself, Greg, Chris Klug, Steve Perrin, and Jason!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Jeff said:

Not to mention the Smoking Ruins, which has new scenarios from myself, Greg, Chris Klug, Steve Perrin, and Jason!

Are you hinting that this one is "really, really close"?   🤫    😉     😁

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 4/1/2019 at 11:30 PM, g33k said:

Luther Arkwright, is it a comic series only? I figure while I wait for my bank account to recover I should head to my (very evconomical) local library and put in some research time.
(come on lucky dice... daddy's Library Use____ 60% needs a crit!). Should I make my roll, and they have a graphic novel or two, any recommendations.

Cheers

45 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Luther Arkwright, is it a comic series only? I figure while I wait for my bank account to recover I should head to my (very evconomical) local library and put in some research time.
(come on lucky dice... daddy's Library Use____ 60% needs a crit!). Should I make my roll, and they have a graphic novel or two, any recommendations.

Cheers

Yes it is. There are two series: 'The Adventures of Luther Arkwright', and 'Heart of Empire', and both are graphic novels. There is a Big Finish audio version of Luther Arkwright, featuring David Tennant as Arkwright himself, and very good it is too.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 3 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:07 PM, Pentallion said:

And if you're intrigued by Luther Arkwright...

And I am.  And with my copy of RQ6 here, how easy of a transition will it be to play Luther Arkwright?  Pretty straight-forward, I imagine, yeah?  No substantive changes to the mechanics to Mythras that aren't covered in the LA book?

!i!

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

37 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

And I am.  And with my copy of RQ6 here, how easy of a transition will it be to play Luther Arkwright?  Pretty straight-forward, I imagine, yeah?  No substantive changes to the mechanics to Mythras that aren't covered in the LA book?

!i!

None whatsoever. Arkwright was written while we still had the RQ license.

• Thanks 1

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

On 4/18/2019 at 7:25 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

Cheers

Well, I have run a 4,5-year-long samurai campaign with these rules, so I warmed to it already some time ago.  ;)

• Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

• 1 month later...

Well, Loz and all, I have to say that the Bundle of Holding was way to tempting. Hmm, seeing as it is all the fault the denizens here, that I decided to part with a few shekels I should ask a few questions about what I bought and make a few initial comments in this Topic right here, eh?

So starting with the bundle... it came with a heck of a lot of pixel dross. What to winnow down...

Any ideas why they would include 4 iterations of the Core book, 5 if you include the imperative (a free quick start. dross?). and 2 iterations of the module, Tomb of the Mad Wizard (one with a few more maps) Is it a sense of completeness and I can safely turf Mythras 1 and 2, and just keep 3 as well as losing the module with fewer maps?

Which Mythras 3 should I keep?  I have one that claims to be interactive and one that does not. No matter how many times I have talked the interactive PDFs they do not talk back. Any idea about what the difference twixt the versions of the PDFs might be?

Any comments on the Classic modules: Terror of Ettinmarsh, These violent Delights, and Tomb of the Mad Wizard.? They look on a quick glance to be an homage to early AD&D.

I assume the three other modules; Madness_and_Other_Colours, Xamoxis_Cleansing and A_Gift_from_Shamash are straight ahead Mythras rules With the last one having a bit of a twist mentioned a little later on).

Any one else find it to be a real pain to download through DrivethruRPG? I have so little luck I just redirect the files to Dropbox and head over there to to dl them.

Anyone else buy the Bundle? I went to check on the original ads to verify what was in the order but could not find it...Those who sprung for the expanded (bonus) bundle does this look correct? Seems like more in the initial ads but, it’s still not bad, I am probably just letting my old habits kick in, telling me to check the receipt vs the inventory.... 

BoH wiz cabinet small .jpg

So my initial take of the bundle beyond the pixel dross; 

Well at quick glance, the gems seem to be the PDF of the core Mythras 3 rules to expand (and update) my RQ 6 book, The historic modules and companions and maps for Britain and Rome, (alas no Constantinople lest one went beyond the Bundle) look to qualify as gems as well So nice to see real spelling again, Sorry, my American friends, but it is called the queen’s english for a reason. The two fantasy rule expansions to the core rules seem a little too d&d for me but I am hoping there will be some gems that I can mine to use in other BRP systems. The scifi module in BRP tules; A_Gift_from_Shamash, well shades of RingWorld/Gamma World/Traveller ... I just might have to try it one day as a one-off just for a twist.

Well, many more questions (who knows maybe a few more observations) for many more days, Thanks in advance to all you grognards just raring to answer said questions 

Cheers