map source

Martin

Yes, I do know. Those are mine. 🙂 

They are based on Jeff's sketch which he posted some time back which was used as the 1618 starting point. 

I'd have thought with the Nochet maps out there, that my map style would be recognized by now! 😉

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I'd have thought with the Nochet maps out there, that my map style would be recognized by now! 😉

FWIW...

The only map style I recognize by name is Wm Church's.

Look on the bright side:  look at all the great Gloranthan map-makers whose obscurity you share!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 5/30/2019 at 9:06 PM, jajagappa said:

Yes, I do know. Those are mine. 🙂 

They are based on Jeff's sketch which he posted some time back which was used as the 1618 starting point. 

What are you using to create maps with?  It reminds me of maps created with Ortelius.

Edited by Septimus Kendaro

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

On 6/2/2019 at 9:51 AM, Septimus Kendaro said:

What are you using to create maps with?  It reminds me of maps created with Ortelius.

They are actually done using Powerpoint.  Yes, Powerpoint!  Probably not what you expected, but I've become reasonably adept at manipulating and modifying the shapes. 🙂

Plus, they convert nicely into pdf or jpg formats as well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

They are actually done using Powerpoint.  Yes, Powerpoint!  Probably not what you expected, but I've become reasonably adept at manipulating and modifying the shapes. 🙂

Plus, they convert nicely into pdf or jpg formats as well.

I'm impressed.  I certainly wouldn't have the patience to to make maps with it.  They look good though, very clean.

• Like 1

--

Doorkeeper to cats.

21 hours ago, Septimus Kendaro said:

I'm impressed.  I certainly wouldn't have the patience to to make maps with it.  They look good though, very clean.

20 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

They look A LOT like the surveyor's maps we used to use in school for orientation practice. Well done

Thanks.

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, pachristian said:

I know I'm late to this party - but what is the separation of the elevation lines? How high above the river are the walls?

This map has been superseded by a newer map in the GMs Pack.

Otherwise, no I don't know what the topo contour line scale is. This map was probably designed with an eye to the Celtic hillfort called Maiden Castle in Dorset, England. Wiki link below.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maiden_Castle%2C_Dorset

4 hours ago, svensson said:

This map has been superseded by a newer map in the GMs Pack.

Otherwise, no I don't know what the topo contour line scale is. This map was probably designed with an eye to the Celtic hillfort called Maiden Castle in Dorset, England. Wiki link below.

The Whitewall map has not yet been published - it is part of the in-queue Heortland and Whitewall material I wrote.

The map was not based on Maiden Castle - I designed from an initial sketch Jeff put together.

5 hours ago, pachristian said:

I know I'm late to this party - but what is the separation of the elevation lines? How high above the river are the walls?

The contour lines are 50m per increment. The north end is 400m above the valley while the south end reaches 500m above the valley.

The walls are up to 10 meters high and 5 meters thick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jajagappa said:

The Whitewall map has not yet been published - it is part of the in-queue Heortland and Whitewall material I wrote.

The map was not based on Maiden Castle - I designed from an initial sketch Jeff put together.

The contour lines are 50m per increment. The north end is 400m above the valley while the south end reaches 500m above the valley.

That's alright. For some ungodly reason my brain said 'Boldhome' instead of Whitewall.... DOH!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know. Interesting question about Maiden Castle. I assumed it was inspired by Bronze Age Jerusalem:

Bronze Age Jerusalem.jpg

1 minute ago, pachristian said:

That's exactly what I needed to know. Interesting question about Maiden Castle. I assumed it was inspired by Bronze Age Jerusalem

Certainly similar form! (But in actuality, I didn't make use of any existing cities during design.)

Hence "inspired by" not "based on". 

However you slice it, your design for Whitewall is setting appropriate, and technology appropriate, and looks really cool! 

Our party defeated a strong band of lunar soldiers on our way into the city, and got permission from King Broyon to hang our party's banner from the walls while we were inside. (Game is set in early 1618 - we headed out of the city on our next mission as Lunar forces approached to lay siege to the place). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pachristian said:

(Game is set in early 1618 - we headed out of the city on our next mission as Lunar forces approached to lay siege to the place). 

Hopefully you won't be there when the Bat arrives! 

49 minutes ago, pachristian said:

Hence "inspired by" not "based on". 

It seems very possible that -- way back when, at a point now lost to memory or documentation -- somebody (Greg, and/or an early mapmaker) did in fact take some degree of inspo from Maiden Castle -- or Jerusalem! -- which was then informative of Jeff's stuff that in turn informed Jaja's.

Or, y'know, could just be "convergent evolution:"  most any hillfort built on a long ridge (rather than a round-ish hill) is liable to be relatively-similar, such as (to pick a random example) Jerusalem & Dorset's Maiden Castle...

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig