PLUNDER competition!

Jeff

Pol Joni Cloak of the Brave or Pol Joni Cloak

Description

A brown cloak made from the hindquarters of a horse. The horse’s tail is still attached and when worn, the tail hangs behind the wearer’s neck. Praxians refer to these derogatively as ‘horse-butt cloaks’.

Cults

Associated: Pol Joni tribe

Friendly: Grazelanders

Hostile: Waha, Praxian beast riders

Knowledge

Automatic, Cult Secret, Few

History

In 1489 at the Battle of Denzis Water against the Praxians, a Pol Joni warrior, single handedly rode out in front displaying horsemanship and bravery, and broke up an ambush of charging Rhino Riders. The only remains were the hindquarters of his valiant steed. To honor him, the tribe took the remains and made a cloak. In a ceremony to honor the fallen, the brave were recognized and the cloak revered. Derek Pol Joni leading the rituals, imbued the cloak with the below powers, to recognize the bravery of the fallen Pol Joni warrior. These cloaks are given to warriors of the Pol Joni clan or allies who have distinguished themselves. Several more cloaks of the brave were made in this manner. All Pol Joni know of these cloaks as well as most Praxian beast riders.

Powers

The cloak has the below powers where are bestowed on the wearer as long as he wears the cloak.

1.       +50% to Ride skill.

2.       Continual Mobility on any horse the wearer mounts as long as the wearer is mounted.

3.       Can hold a bound or allied spirit.

4.       Immune to the spirit magic spells Demoralize and Befuddle.

Value

It’s unknown what the value is as most are thought to be with Pol Joni warriors who wouldn’t sell it and none have been known to be bought or sold. But it’s rumored a Marcher Baron has offered 6,000 silver in land for one.

(Note, i saw on the RQ facebook page someone post about a real horse butt cloak on ebay. I thought it would be cool to make this an item. Then i saw this contest and voila.)

• Like 1

Fish Road Gravel

Description

A small flat piece of an unknown material that looks like a piece of white shale or flattened pearl or ivory. It’s iridescent like the inside of an abalone shell with the size and thickness of a clack, it varies but they’re small.

Cults

Associated: Water cults

Knowledge

Automatic, Cult Secret. Those in the Holy Country recognize and know how to use these. But only the initiate level and higher of Water cults and Lurdoch associated with the Mirrorsea Bay know how to find them and they keep it a secret.

History

In 1616 when the God-king Belintar disappeared at the Masters of Luck and Death tournament, part of the Holy Country’s magical infrastructure suffered. The Fish Roads were damaged and part of the magical damage manifested as pieces of Fish Road gravel… broken white chips of shale looking material that fell to the sea floor from the Fish Roads in the Mirrorsea Bay (they are not found in the Syphon River).

Procedure

Only the Lurdoch and Water cults in and around the Mirrorsea Bay know how to find these…  first, it seems there must be a water affinity. The first pieces of Fish Road Gravel were found by accident.

To find them, one must merely look for them. However, it takes luck and knowledge. One must be lucky to be searching in an area where a Fish Road was damaged, then also possess the knowledge of the general area to look and know what they’re looking for. For every 8 hours spent searching and sifting the Mirrorsea Bay floor, several rolls need to be successfully made.

*First, must be at 60% or greater in the Water rune.

*Make a Special success on a Search roll.

*Roll POW as a percentage.

Success results in a piece of Fish Road Gravel found for that 8 hour period or searching.

Powers

1.       Land dwellers can breathe underwater as long as the gravel is in the user’s mouth.

2.       Water dwellers can breathe out of water as long as the gravel is in the user’s mouth.

Value

300 Guilders in areas where large bodies of water are present (prized by fisherman as it can at least triple their annual income).The value is much less in desert areas.

Edited by 10baseT
  • Like 1

The Bull's Nose (aka, The Bull Knows)

Description:

There are two types - the personal and the community. The personal is usually a pendant of a bull's head worn around the neck, although can be done in other ways as commissioned. The Community version is usually similar to warding sticks/poles with bull's heads atop, looking out.

Cults

Associated: Stormbull

Enemy: All Chaos cults, but in particular Cacodemon, as it frustrates their attempts to infiltrate local communities.

Friendly: All Lightbringer and Praxian cults. Also popular with other Chaos-hating cults (eg, Uz).

Hostile: Lunars

Knowledge

Automatic; Famous (?maybe only Common.. depends where you live!)

HIstory

Sadricka the Wise was a Lhankor Mhy God-Talker in Sartar, who had a brother, Embullio (the not so wise), who was a Khan of Stormbull. Sadricka, loving the peace and quiet of study and reading, was constantly annoyed his brother's near-endless rants against impending Chaos and Embullio flying off on tantrums at the merest hint of something that could be considered Chaotic...or when farmers and herders ran into the house crying about the latest illness or woe caused by some Chaos thing... and usually wasn't! Too many times, Sadricka had to go with his brother to discover the real reason for something happening that wasn't really Chaotic. So, he convinced his brother to come up with a sure-fire way to help others around the stead to detect the forcers of Chaos without him personally being there. So, he helped him devise these Bull's Nose pendants, and later, the warding posts.

Procedure

Both require a Storm Khan with Sense Chaos at mastery level. A simple pendant needs to be made out of a Rune Metal (yeah, virtually anything!), and a Divine Intervention is cast, asking the Bull to bless the pendant, costing just 1 POW. The warding posts are similar, but also require sufficient Rune Points for the equivalent sized Warding, and a ritual must be done on the site where they will be planted.

Power

Acts as a permanent Detect Chaos spell - detects Chaos automatically  at a range up to 50m. For the Warding Posts, they activate when something Chaotic crosses the boundary. The pendant starts to radiate a feeling of sickness in the wearer, while the warding posts do the same for the legal owner of the land the posts are planted in (or the tenant, if the owner so wishes) - no matter how far away the owner is. The owner knows  exactly which property has the Chaos on it if they have more than one. The owner (and tenant, if required) must be present during the setup ritual.

Some have suggested that they also have the power to keep Stormbull cultists away, but some contradict this, as Stormbull Priests don't always trust those wily Chaotic beasts, and hence check up on their wards regularly. It's certainly had the power to stop farmers complaining ... as often. (Turns out, Sadricka wasn't as wise as he hoped.... :( )

Value

These are not-surprisingly cheap, as Stormbull takes a very active stance against Chaos, so make these readily available. Most go for about 50L. However, Thanes, chieftans and bar owners would be willing to pay more just to keep the Stormbullies out of their bar/steads.

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 2

Sian’s Quill

A small paperknife/stylus, made from iron in the shape of a Durulz tail feather. It acts as a matrix for Bladesharp 6. It is not intended for use as a weapon in its own right, but if used as such, is clumsy in the hand, used at half the skill of a dagger.

Cults

Associated: Humakt, Lhankor Mhy.

Hostile: Storm Bull cultists in the region of Jonstown.

Knowledge

This type of object is common, this specific form is not.

History

Made specifically for Sian “Quillsharp”, then a junior scribe at the Jonstown Library. There was an incident involving a very young duckling and a group of drunk Storm Bull cultists who we hope had the excuse of a fumbled Sense Chaos. The duckling tried to take refuge in the Library, and Sian, on door duty at the time, defended duckling and temple with nothing more than outrage, melodramatic acting, and what she claimed was an enchanted Quill of Power. (Don’t ask about her Truth Rune.) The duckling turned out to be the niece of the High Sword of the Humakt Temple at Duck Point, who was suitably grateful for the rescue, and made the Quill as a reward for Sian, saying that if she was going to claim that the pen was mightier than the sword, she had better have the means of making this True.

Procedure

A little bit of iron crafting, and the ability to make a Bladesharp 6 matrix

Powers

Bladesharp 6 matrix, useable by Sian and by anyone she gives permission to – others have not yet been tested.

Value

Not for sale. If it was on the open market, the value would normally be standard for a matrix of this type. In the Jonstown or Duck Point areas, value would be heavily influenced by the potential purchaser’s knowledge of, and feelings about, the item’s history.

Notes:

Yes, this is my first ever post on this arrgh-it's-controlled-by-the-authorities forum. So I haven't a clue how it works, yet.

Yes, that really is the self-insertion character I used to write as in the 1990s, now generated in RQG

Yes, I did find that rather nice iron feather in a craft shop, and buy it for this purpose. Mine doesn't have the matrix, though (yet).

Yes, my GM does have a thing about ducks.

iron quill.jpg

• Like 2

Harrek's Silky-Lacey Underwear

(an extension from the Lie spell thread...)

There are a number of these matching sets of fashionable (and incredibly comfortable) combinations of silk and lace knickers and negligee in existence, all owned by Harrek (and, partly, Gunda). They come in different colours and designs, but the same size - Harrek's. (Gunda has her own sets, of course!)

Cults

N/A

Knowledge

Secret - only Harrek and Gunda know of these (oh, and now Argrath - see below).  Gunda has, of course, sworn an oath to keep the secret. The Wolf Pirates on Harrek's personal ship suspect (know), but the "They're all Gunda's girly things" in reference to the clothes line hasn't convinced most of them, given the size difference between the two of them... and Harrek's mood swings on washing day.

If someone were to find out about this secret, and Harrek found out about that - you'd be dead! (part of the reason for all the travels and raids along the coasts...).

History

Gunda and Harrek found a deep kinship in their love of designing - and wearing - women's undergarments. It's what's kept them so close together all these years. It's t he other reason the Wolf Pirates have raided up and down the coasts - to look for better quality fabrics and materials, as well as designs (that's why they hang around the Land of 10,000 Goddesses the most!) Over the years, Harrek and Gunda have tried on different styles, and even designed a few of their own. Harrek has now found a combination he likes best (but still tries a couple of new ones now and then...).

Procedure

Ask Harrek... if you dare!

Powers

Unknown. Harrek has never actually been out and about without his silk and lace undergarments, and so no-one truly knows if his formidible powers come from within, or from the garments themselves... The White Bear isn't about to tell anyone.

These garments have, though, unwittingly become the inspiration for the SMU - Sartar Magical Union.

One day, Gunda couldn't keep it a secret any longer (hence her nickname!), and told Argrath... just as Harrek walked in.

Harrek: What did I just hear you two talking about?

Argrath and Gunda (together): No, no... nothing. Nothing at all...

H: I thought I heard something about..... silk???

A:No, no....
G: Nope, nothing like that...
A&G (together):
A: Shamans....
G: Sorcery...

A: yeah... shamans... and and and sorcerers... together..... yah, shamans and sorcerers together.... working together....

H: didn't you say "different laces"?

A: Whaaaa??? Noooo.... that was, ah... Races! Yeah, Races... damn my pronunciation... that trip to Kralorela must have washed off on me.... ha ha...

(H: thinking to himself - "Odd, I thought the L/R shift only happened on middle and final positions, not initial...)

A: so, yeah... ah, races... you know, trolls, elves, baboons, etc etc...

H: And this "putting them on together is a great magical union"? I heard you Gunda!

G: Yes! Absolutely.. ummm..... they work... ummm... welll.... together...... Argrath?

A: Yes, a Great.. ummm Magical Union... of, ummm... trolls, and baboons, and everyone...with different magics... yes.... shamans.. and sorcerers...  coming together....

H: Hmmm... Jar-eel would like the look of that, I suppose!

A & G: <Cough> yes, yes... the *magical* union... yes. She would!

H: So, when are you going to do it?

A: WHaaaaa...???? Oh, ummmm... soon, real soon.....
(thinks to himself: Oh crap... now I'm going to have to make this happen, or I'll never hear the end of it!)

G: <phew>....

Not the brightest is old Harrek.

Value

To Harrek, and arm and a leg (literally... yours, of course, not his. If he's in a good mood, he'll even give you the chance to select which side - he's fair like that!)

• Haha 4

On 7/24/2019 at 12:34 AM, Jane said:

Sian’s Quill

A small paperknife/stylus, made from iron in the shape of a Durulz tail feather. It acts as a matrix for Bladesharp 6. It is not intended for use as a weapon in its own right, but if used as such, is clumsy in the hand, used at half the skill of a dagger.

Cults

Associated: Humakt, Lhankor Mhy.

Hostile: Storm Bull cultists in the region of Jonstown.

Knowledge

This type of object is common, this specific form is not.

History

Made specifically for Sian “Quillsharp”, then a junior scribe at the Jonstown Library. There was an incident involving a very young duckling and a group of drunk Storm Bull cultists who we hope had the excuse of a fumbled Sense Chaos. The duckling tried to take refuge in the Library, and Sian, on door duty at the time, defended duckling and temple with nothing more than outrage, melodramatic acting, and what she claimed was an enchanted Quill of Power. (Don’t ask about her Truth Rune.) The duckling turned out to be the niece of the High Sword of the Humakt Temple at Duck Point, who was suitably grateful for the rescue, and made the Quill as a reward for Sian, saying that if she was going to claim that the pen was mightier than the sword, she had better have the means of making this True.

Procedure

A little bit of iron crafting, and the ability to make a Bladesharp 6 matrix

Powers

Bladesharp 6 matrix, useable by Sian and by anyone she gives permission to – others have not yet been tested.

Value

Not for sale. If it was on the open market, the value would normally be standard for a matrix of this type. In the Jonstown or Duck Point areas, value would be heavily influenced by the potential purchaser’s knowledge of, and feelings about, the item’s history.

Notes:

Yes, this is my first ever post on this arrgh-it's-controlled-by-the-authorities forum. So I haven't a clue how it works, yet.

Yes, that really is the self-insertion character I used to write as in the 1990s, now generated in RQG

Yes, I did find that rather nice iron feather in a craft shop, and buy it for this purpose. Mine doesn't have the matrix, though (yet).

iron quill.jpg

Hey, welcome!

What an amazing 1st post.  Very nice indeed!

But don't worry about our arrgh- they're-Lunar overlords, mostly they just let us be.

Edited by g33k
Typo
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

10 hours ago, Jane said:

authority bad, but BRP Central less bad. So, welcome aboard! Nice post!

20 minutes ago, g33k said:

Yer playing with Quackatoa?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
So, welcome aboard!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 minutes ago, g33k said:

<blinks>   You seem to have mis-quoted there, Mr. Barbarian...  😏

Gak! I must be asleep yet, (busy week). Not sure I an catching your drift. Which mis-quiote would I be guilty of...

Ah, I see, I was quoting you, quoting Jane. Well, the point still stands quasi-misquote and all! Back to bed now for a few more zzzs.

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

And here's the next one - well, two. Never tried in play. I'm working on the assumption that RQG is a lot like RQ2 or 3, being much more a HQ person myself.

Chorus Drone

A small trumpet-like instrument, curled into the shape of an Air rune, and with three strings over the wide end (looking like a Harmony rune). It is playable as a mundane musical instrument, though not a particularly useful one.

Cults

Associated: Donandar 

(However, some cultists regard the use of a Drone as “cheating”, and will show a distinct lack of respect to anyone using one.)

Knowledge

Most people who are entertainers, or who work with them, know of the Chorus Drone: singers are the most likely. It can be used by anyone who can supply it with magic points.

Procedure

Physically making the item requires a skilled instrument maker, used to working with both brass and strings. Enchanting it needs a good singer, who knows the Harmonise spell, and a successful Ritual. This will usually be a Donandar initiate or priest.

Powers

If the user sings a short phrase into the Drone while also putting a magic point into it, it will repeat the phrase, but in multiple voices (the pitch of those available depends on the strings used). The number of repeats can be increased by using more magic points. The sound will be “released” upon command by the person who supplied the MP, so can be set up by a soloist before a performance begins.

An alternative use is to record a spoken message, so as to minimise the risk of the herald in question forgetting a critical part, or when the language of the message is not spoken by the message-bearer.

Value

Varies depending on the perceived or reputed quality of the voices – starts at 50L and goes up. Those used as message-carriers require clarity rather than a beautiful singing voice – normally sold to Issaries Heralds.

The Squeaker

Looks like a Chorus Drone, but somehow distorted. The strings, rather than being obvious wire or gut, are so thin and fine that it’s easy to cut your fingers on them.

Cults

Associated: Asrelia

Enemy: Donandar, Yinkin

Knowledge

One of a Kind. And those who know of it hope it stays that way.

Procedure

Attempt to make a Chorus Drone. Fumble the ritual. Look around for Tricksters in a suspicious manner.

Powers

Similar to those of the Chorus Drone, but

·         The repetition is four octaves sharp - inaudible to the human ear, but painful to animals such as alynxes.

·         The sound starts immediately, and requires a direct command to stop rather than to start.

Value

Varies enormously depending on whether the potential purchaser thinks they have a cunning way of using it.

History

The identity of the person who accidentally made this is a cult secret, due to acute embarrassment. It seems to have been in the early 1600s, since reports of it exist from about 1605 until late 1619.

At first it was simply known as a nuisance, to be disposed of, preferably to a customer you were never going to see again. Then it was realised that the property of scaring animals could be useful, provided that you had none of your own to be affected by it, and after a few experiments with defending travellers from wild animals (it tended to anger them rather than scare them, unless they were too small to be a problem in any case), it was given to the Asrelia cult to help keep mice out of granaries.

It ended up in the besieged city of Whitewall, and this is where it had what might have been its moment of glory. Someone, we don’t know who, came up with the brilliant or desperate idea of feeding the Bat’s Scream into it, and then playing it back, on the assumption that humans would not hear the result, but the Bat would. This might well have been true. It’s entirely possible that the Bat’s reaction was due to fear, fury, or possibly hearing what it thought were the cries of either young Bats in distress, or perhaps a mate, but nobody managed a successful Insight (Crimson Bat) roll. All we know is that the bodies of those making the attempt were never found, nor was the Squeaker, and nor were the walls in the immediate vicinity. A very truncated Library record is all that is left to us.

• Like 1

IMMANENT SWORD

A sword, usually bronze, crafted in the Fronelan style that seems more real.  

Cults:

Associated: Hrestoli

Knowledge: Few, Automatic

History:

The prove the superiority of their philosophy in a disputation with the God Learners, the Lords of Loskalm ordered that these swords be made.  Supposedly they are not made from wordly metals but summoned into existence from the Pure Forms that exist in the Mind of the Hidden Mover.  The God Learners simply pointed out that the blades were all different, raising disturbing questions about the nature of the Hidden Mover.  In the resulting battle, the God Learners captured many, divined the secrets of their making and made a few more items of a similar kind to spite the original makers.  The swords have since become s status weapon in Fronela and Carmania from whence some have appeared in Dragon Pass.  One was reportedly seen in the hands of a Sword Broo in Dorastor.

Procedure:

These blades can be summoned into being while the caste is in mental unity with the Invisible God.  Reportedly the spell is Summon Bronze although that may be a malicious legend invented by the God Learners and kept alive by people who know the secret of its making.

Powers:

The sword exists in a state of timelessness which extends to any magic cast upon it.  Up to ten points (per ENC of object) of any sorcery spell can be maintained indefinitely.  The sword resists the grossness of rune and spirit magics and will not maintain those.  The sword confers no protection to any spells it maintains so they can be dismissed normally.  

Value:  

The sword is worth 1500 L to anyone who knows its powers and make use of them.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, metcalph said:

IMMANENT SWORD

A sword, usually bronze, crafted in the Fronelan style that seems more real.  

Cults:

Associated: Hrestoli

Knowledge: Few, Automatic

History:

The prove the superiority of their philosophy in a disputation with the God Learners, the Lords of Loskalm ordered that these swords be made.  Supposedly they are not made from wordly metals but summoned into existence from the Pure Forms that exist in the Mind of the Hidden Mover.  The God Learners simply pointed out that the blades were all different, raising disturbing questions about the nature of the Hidden Mover.  In the resulting battle, the God Learners captured many, divined the secrets of their making and made a few more items of a similar kind to spite the original makers.  The swords have since become s status weapon in Fronela and Carmania from whence some have appeared in Dragon Pass.  One was reportedly seen in the hands of a Sword Broo in Dorastor.

Procedure:

These blades can be summoned into being while the caste is in mental unity with the Invisible God.  Reportedly the spell is Summon Bronze although that may be a malicious legend invented by the God Learners and kept alive by people who know the secret of its making.

Powers:

The sword exists in a state of timelessness which extends to any magic cast upon it.  Up to ten points (per ENC of object) of any sorcery spell can be maintained indefinitely.  The sword resists the grossness of rune and spirit magics and will not maintain those.  The sword confers no protection to any spells it maintains so they can be dismissed normally.  

Value:  

The sword is worth 1500 L to anyone who knows its powers and make use of them.

Nice.

But I just thought I'd point out that your arbitrary "10 points of sorcery per Enc" means that the most likely spell to.be cast on it is stuck in a limbo... Boon of Kargan Tor gets damage increases at 1, 4, 8, and 12...  10 wastes 2 points.

Just an observation!!

Edited by Shiningbrow
("BooM of KT"??? WTF??)

1 hour ago, Shiningbrow said:

Nice.

But I just thought I'd point out that your arbitrary "10 points of sorcery per Enc" means that the most likely spell to.be cast on it is stuck in a limbo... Boom of Kargan Tor gets damage increases at 1, 4, 8, and 12...  10 wastes 2 points.

Just an observation!!

I think the God Learners complained bitterly about the same thing.  For a greatsword (2 ENC) however, the spell limit is 20 points which has zero waste.

• Haha 1

Eurmal’s Golden Mead

A small amphora with a wax seal, with a horn cup tied to it with a piece of rope. 

Cults

This section lists the relation of the item (and its possessor) with various cults. 

·       Associated: Eurmal. 

·       Friendly: Chalana Arroy, Issaries, Lhankhor Mhy, Orlanth. 

Knowledge

Automatic, Few.

History

Eurmal has never been one to refuse a drink and he also appreciates a good story.  He also loves the idea of tricking his worshippers into focusing their attention on something for an entire month.

Procedure

The secret of making this mead is limited to High Priests of Eurmal that also know the Glamour spell.  The priest must establish a beehive and raise the bees to be a productive colony. They must personally gather the honey, then ferment it for a month, whilst casting Glamour on the fermenting brew every day.  Needless to say, most High Priests of Eurmal can’t be bothered so although not particularly difficult to create, it is relatively rare.

Powers

This mead is normally found in an amphora with an attached cup.  Each cup full is one dose and the amphora contains 1D4 doses.  Drinking anything less than an entire dose has no effect, other than tasting pleasant.  Anyone that drinks an entire dose of the mead must make a CONx5% check.  If the check is successful, they gain the following benefits for 20 minutes: +25% to all Knowledge skill checks and +50% to all Communication skill checks.  Every 20 minutes thereafter for the next hour, they must make another CON check, but reducing the multiple by 1% each time (CONx4% after the first 20 minutes, CONx3% after 40 minutes etc.).  After an hour, their system has managed to tolerate that particular dose of the mead.  If they fail the CON check, they lose the benefits and are then very inebriated for 15 - 1/2 CON hours (-50% to all Communication, Knowledge skills, Manipulation and Weapon skills).  The benefits do not stack if more than one dose is drunk but the skill penalties and duration of those penalties do.

Value

1,000L.

• Like 1

Hell Boots

A pair of roughly stitched but robust thick black leather boots.    

Cults

This section lists the relation of the item (and its possessor) with various cults. 

·       Associated: Lhankhor Mhy, Orlanth. 

·       Friendly: Chalana Arroy, Issaries. 

·       Enemy: Any Troll cult. 

·       Hostile:  Any other Darkness related cult, Daka Fal (who doesn't like that they interfere with spirits). 

Knowledge

Automatic, One of a Kind.

History

Lhankhor Mhy originally made these boots for Orlanth to help him when he returned to Hell to retrieve the Sun.  They were badly damaged during the trip and were thrown away on his return.  Orlanthi cultists recovered the boots and were able to restore a limited part of their magic.

Procedure

Powers

The wearer of this knee-high pair of boots made from Mistress Race Troll skin gains some protection from creatures of shadow and the spirit world. 

Darkness Elementals (Shades) will not attack the wearer, even if Commanded to, nor will Shadows. 

The wearer has a +60% bonus to their Intimidate skill against all Uz, other than members of the Mistress Race.

The wearer is Invisible to the Darksense of all non Mistress Race Trolls.  Note that this is not an illusion effect, it is the removal of knowledge of the wearer's presence from the Troll's senses.

The wearer can see in total Darkness as if it were normal daylight.

The boots act as a Spirit Screen (4 pts.) matrix.

The boots alter size to fit the wear comfortably but cannot be worn under or over any other clothing. 

They provide 4 points of armor to the legs of the wearer. 

The boots are VERY obvious to the Darksense of any Mistress Race Troll and they will go to extreme lengths in an attempt to recover and destroy the boots.

The boots can only be damaged or destroyed in Hell.  In Hell, they have 20 HP each.

Value

As artifacts of two gods, probably priceless.

41 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Eurmal’s Golden Mead

A small amphora with a wax seal, with a horn cup tied to it with a piece of rope. 

Cults

·       Associated: Eurmal. 

·       Friendly: Chalana Arroy, Issaries, Lhankhor Mhy, Orlanth. 

Knowledge

Automatic, Few.

History

Eurmal has never been one to refuse a drink and he also appreciates a good story.  He also loves the idea of tricking his worshippers into focusing their attention on something for an entire month.

Procedure

The secret of making this mead is limited to High Priests of Eurmal that also know the Glamour spell.  The priest must establish a beehive and raise the bees to be a productive colony. They must personally gather the honey, then ferment it for a month, whilst casting Glamour on the fermenting brew every day.  Needless to say, most High Priests of Eurmal can’t be bothered so although not particularly difficult to create, it is relatively rare.

Powers

This mead is normally found in an amphora with an attached cup.  Each cup full is one dose and the amphora contains 1D4 doses.  Drinking anything less than an entire dose has no effect, other than tasting pleasant.  Anyone that drinks an entire dose of the mead must make a CONx5% check.  If the check is successful, they gain the following benefits for 20 minutes: +25% to all Knowledge skill checks and +50% to all Communication skill checks.  Every 20 minutes thereafter for the next hour, they must make another CON check, but reducing the multiple by 1% each time (CONx4% after the first 20 minutes, CONx3% after 40 minutes etc.).  After an hour, their system has managed to tolerate that particular dose of the mead.  If they fail the CON check, they lose the benefits and are then very inebriated for 15 - 1/2 CON hours (-50% to all Communication, Knowledge skills, Manipulation and Weapon skills).  The benefits do not stack if more than one dose is drunk but the skill penalties and duration of those penalties do.

Value

1,000L.

What if you special or crit the rolls?

Norinevra‘s heirlooms

This is a list of artifacts that had been brought back from Pavis by a former swordmaster of Dorasar (and before him Sarotar) and his wife (an exiled member of house Norinel of Nochet), which become eligible as grave goods for the wife after her death at 90+ years having served as the local Asrelia priestess for decades.

All of this is plunder from the Big Rubble when the ruins were fresh compared to the situation under Lunar occupation, now serving as clan treasures and regarded as regalia handled by the clan priestess rather than her personal contributions.

Several of these artifacts were found together and have additional functions when employed as an ensemble.

Kimantoring lead mask

This was part of the armor/uniform of an unnamed Kimantoring from Nochet which ended up as a piece of plunder under unknown circumstances.

Kimantorings are a military unit of defenders of Nochet established by Kimantor – either the Only Old One himself or his only son who came to Nochet as the husband-protector of the queen against the demons threatening that city in the Greater Darkness. Their military apparel is roughly the same as that of the Kitori, the originally mostly human Shadpwlords who collected and redistributed the Shadow Tribute that upheld the Kingdom of Night.

The mask has an officer’s insignia (though you need rather high knowledge in Esrolian or Nochet history or culture to recognize that). It was found in a collapsed house outside of the Real City in the Big Rubble, together with a copper axe and lead slingshots, after purging a servant of Nontraya.

The mask gives the bearer the ability to communicate with shadows and even to give them military orders, provided he manages to establish his authority.

The clan used the mask for ritual representation of friendly or neutral darkness entities, and presented it as part of the regalia in negotiations with Darkness cultists. The clansfolk generally assumes that the mask also protects from shadows.

A copper battle axe

The blade of the axe is engraved with the runes of Darkness and Death. The shaft is polished bone engraved with the sigil of Nochet.

The weapon emanates darkness when undead approach. The shaded area can expand to a man’s height if the undead are within 20 steps from the wielder.

If the person wielding the axe also wears the lead mask, he or she can affix the shaded area in a fixed place in up to 20 steps from the blade of the axe. If the axe moves out of that range, the shaded area follows the blade with a movement rate of 4.

The interaction between axe and mask is unknown to the clan, but the children and grandchildren of Norinevra know the story how axe, mask and lead slingshots were found together after a vampire was slain by her husband’s party.

Other than this detection magic, the weapon has game values identical to a standard bronze axe. Should the bone shaft be removed from the axe or the city sigil be defaced, the magic will cease to work.

In the clan rites, this axe would be wielded by an earth defender.

The lead slingshot also found with axe and mask were distributed as kinship tokens to the female offspring of Norinevra. They bear partial imprints of the sigil of Nochet, being too small for the whole die.

A terracotta vase with scenes from Genert’s Palace

The vase has figures in green glazing on red clay and is shaped so that its silhouette resembles the fertility rune, although with a fairly wide girth. The figures show Genert surrounded by his comrades as archaic style outlines. The silhouettes include Eiritha, Tada, Storm Bull, Yamsur, Seolinthur and also deities and magical beasts whose names have been forgotten.

Seeds stored in this vase for at least a season will sprout early and bear rich fruit. The vase has a volume of 24 liters. (The blessing will be active even if the batch is removed after a season and apply to further batches of seeds as well, but the owners never put this to a test, although it has been used for winter seed from the early harvest and summer seed from the late harvest.) To protect it from breaking, a sturdy basket was woven around it.

This vase may have come from the Paps or some Desert Tracker expedition into the Wastes and dates back at least into the earliest Storm Age. On the other hand, the presence of the Storm Bull makes a Green Age origin highly unlikely, unless his silhouette was a later addition. A similar case can be made for the lion skin indicated for Tada – it looks like the figure was originally nude and quite phallic.

The imagery contains hints on Genert’s Palace and its denizens which may be of sufficient interest to some Lhankor Mhy scholars in Nochet to earn their support or introduction for the opportunity to study and analyze the deities depicted on the vase. (This will require the removal of the protective basket. Removing the basket won’t hamper the fertility effect.)

The vase can be quite a treasure, especially for perennial plants like vines or fruit-bearing trees.

A wooden rattle one meter in diameter.

This is a simple toy from one of the giant cradles. Shaking the rattle hard enough to make the four head-sized pearls collide will lighten the mood of everyone within listening distance and dampen negative passions. Despite its age of several centuries, the wood isn’t the least bit weakened.

The giant rattle is fairly unique and has some practical use in politics, especially for peace-making. It halves the bonus for augments from negative passions (hate, fear) and raises those of positive passions (love, loyalty) to half again the value while rattled. This affects augments already in place as well as augments rolled under the effect. If rolling for a passion while the rattle is played the penalty or bonus is 20%.

A character with STR 18 or more can opereate the rattle for up to his CON melee rounds if succeeding in a STRx5 roll, for each point of strength less than eighteen the duration is halved (¼ CON for STR 16, 1/8 CON melee rounds for STR 15, 1 melee round for STR 14) and the STR roll multiplier is reduced by 2.

A gami (or sword-breaker) made of dragonbone

This is a dragonewt weapon designed to disarm opponents. Dragonbone weapons and armor used to be common in the EWF, but after the assassination of the EWF leaders in 1042 and the dragonkill 78 years later, almost all of these items were collected by the dragonewts of the Pass region.

The clan kept this item as a token to gain good will or even a favor of the enigmatic dragonewts.

The gami is valuable just for the material value. It is desgined for right-handed use.

These items have been in use as or stored with the clan regalia for more than fifty years, under the aegis of Norinevra who served as a chief earth priestess for the clan most of her life.

None of the items has undergone a full analysis. The mask and the copper axe have no house association but would be highly regarded as heirlooms by all major or minor houses in Nochet, as well as the Kimantoring regiments, even without revealing their magical properties.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Coiled Serpent

A medallion, eight inches in diameter, in the form of a spiral coiled serpent.  It's made of gold inlaid with other metals and gems.  When no one is looking, it shifts and twists, revealing its various beautiful sides and angles so you never get tired of looking at it.  It can also coil itself around the owner's wrist, to be worn as a bracelet.

Cults

Associated: Asrelia.  Friendly: Ernalda, Orlanth.  

Knowledge

It may be that there is only one.  Besides the owner and her family, only a few people have ever seen it.  One of these people claims to have seen a similar medallion in Nochet, but in the form of a centipede coiled up.

History

Many generations back, perhaps in the second age, it was a gift from a priestess of Asrelia to suffering Orlanthi in Dragon Pass.  In each generation, the spirit of the medallion chooses a female descendant of the original owner to be the new owner.  The current owner farms in Colymar lands.  Her husband was killed fighting against Lunar soldiers.

Procedure

This Asrelia cult spirit requires the right shape, dimensions and high quality craftsmanship in its binding.

Powers

Besides being a beautiful, daily inspiration, the medallion is a great tool against thieves, greedy taxmen and oppressive nobles.  When taken away from its owner, the serpent waits for the right moment, unwinds and slithers back to its owner, opening doors and unlocking virtually anything in its path with its tongue at the cost of a magic point per lock or door.

The spirit bound in the serpent has 20 POW and 16 CHA and knows dispel magic 6, glamour, glue 2, disrupt and befuddle.  Skills such as move quietly and sleight are at 100%.  It can bite, delivering a poison that paralyzes for about a day.  It maintains mindlink with its owner from up to a mile away.

As the serpent slithers back home, it doesn't lock up behind itself!  When it's been stolen in the past and is on its way home, the medallion owner has informed local adventurers that the treasury is unlocked and unguarded, ready to be raided.  Maybe other stolen items can be found and reclaimed?  

Value

Roughly 1000 lunars, unless the buyer somehow knows what it is (then, 'no thanks')

Edited by Queegueg
  • Like 1

The Swords campaign, being the tale of a group of Humakti mercenaries, contains quite a lot of magical swords. Have a couple of them, converted from HW to HQ to RQG (and special thanks to Diana Probst for help with Numbers, and being nit-pickingly specific where HQ prefers flexibility)

The Water Sword

Appearance varies, but in general, a finely made sword forged out of pure lo-metal (quicksilver, or aluminium). In the hands of someone with a strong Water link, it can change its form, moving to the liquid form of lo-metal as it does so, and has, for instance, appeared as a trident.

Cults

Associated: Humakt, any water cult, especially those associated with rivers.

Enemy: Dragons. Daga.

Knowledge

This is a one of a kind item, probably usable by anyone. It is not (yet) well known.

History

Given to Hereward’s Legion (a Humakti mercenary band) by a river god, to aid them in rescuing his niece, who was then persuaded to provide water to the Horn Gate oasis.

Powers

Apart from being incredibly light in the hand, and the shape-changing, this sword gives a bonus to killing dragons. It has been used once for this purpose, and a single blow to the eye dispatched the dragon.

Numbers:

Quadruple damage to dragons. Not dragonnewts. Not people with “dragon” in their names. Dragons. Dream dragons, or true dragons. This can be combined with other enchantments the wielder may wish to cast upon the sword.

A successful roll on the wielder’s Water rune, plus a magic point, will allow it to change form.

Very light weight, so has half the ENC and half the strength requirement of whatever is normal for the form it is currently in.

Value

Not for sale. Probable price if you steal it – being hunted down and killed by a hundred or so very competent and very annoyed Humakti, plus the enmity of most rivers in Prax. It might however be given away to a suitably honourable ally who had a need to kill a dragon.

Barzaad’s Tooth

“It didn't look like a magical sword. It was short, dark and plain. It was a working sword. It had no runes on it. No mystic gleam twinkled on its edge. It was old - not in the sense of "antique", or "full of legendary promise", just well-used. You could believe it was a sword that had been used so much it had ceased to be anything other than a quintessential sword; a long piece of metal with very sharp edges.”

Cults

Associated: Humakt, Jaldon, Waha

Enemy: Mostali, Pavis, Flintnail, and now certain Lunar regiments. (The current owner has sworn an oath never to use it to harm Mostali or New Pavis).

Knowledge

Probably one of a kind. Certain powers appear to only be usable by the rightful owner (as determined by the sword).

History

Found in a heap of discarded equipment in the Rubble in 1621. It communicated its name to its new owner, but no more. Investigation at the Library revealed this:

“Barzaad was one of the nomads who tried to attack the city in its hey-day, when Flintnail was the main power here. He was in competition with Jaldon "Toothmaker", and claimed that his "tooth" was better than that of his rival for getting through the walls. While it was certainly effective, he died during one of his many attacks. Various people claim to have used his "tooth" over the years - some of them may even have been right. He's said to have followed "Iron Man", a spirit who seems to be vaguely similar to your Humakt.”

Powers

In the hands of the rightful owner, cuts through stone as if it were butter – and also Mostali, and to some extent any warriors whose magic or wyter is linked to Stone. (Tested on the Marble Phalanx, who did not enjoy the experience.) It does an automatic critical (after any armour not made of stone is taken into account), doing full damage no matter what the damage type would normally do.

In any other hands, does not cut anything: reacts to all substances as a normal sword would react to stone.

Of the other two powers, only the names are known to the current owner: “Devour Wall” and “Gleaming Whiteness”.

Known only to the GM:

“Devour Wall” enables it to absorb any wall, of any non-magical material, at a rate of one ENC per minute.

“Gleaming Whiteness” is essentially a very specialised Glamour spell. It causes one object, normally the caster’s own teeth, but sometimes the sword itself, to display the aforenamed property. Can be applied to inanimate objects as well as people, making them look more impressive and enhancing any “display” properties they may have. MP cost as for Glamour. 

Limitation: not known to the current owner, this is not a simple inanimate object. It used to be the wyter of Barzaad’s heroband, and will only accept as an owner someone who in its opinion is friendly to Praxians. Use the rules on Wyters in the core rulebook, and rate this as per the Wyter for a shrine or large family.

Value

Not for sale. If it were on the open market, price would vary enormously depending on how much was known about it, and how the buyer and seller felt about its history and powers.

• Like 1

Branch That Whispers or Whispering Branch

Description

This is an Aldryami war bow. It looks like a living tree branch and is similar to an Elf bow, but larger and somewhat sentient with its forest.

Cults: Associated: Aldrya

Knowledge: Cult Secret

History

In the Second Age, the Aldryami had a hard time defending their forest against tougher invaders like large Uz in lead plate or iron clad Mostali. The Council of Elders decided better defensive measures were needed.  The Gardner then cultivated and grew these new bows from seed around their sacred grove.

Procedure

Upon planting in Sea Season, Fertility Week, Water Day, the seedling bow is blessed by the Great Tree. Then blessed again upon harvest one year later on the same day, Sea Season, Fertility Week, Water Day. As a new bow is harvested, a new seedling is planted. Throughout the seedling’s growth cycle, it is cared for by the Gardner. Every Aldrya holy day, a magic point is sacrificed to each seedling. There are only a few growing at a time and these appear as small trees in the ground. Upon harvest, a Whispering Branch is born.

For those Marching Aldryami units on patrol, hunting intruders or general defense, there is typically at least one Aldryami in the war band armed with this bow. Sniping is the typical tactic. These bows are communal to the defense of the forest and would never be taken out. They are passed to the next war band going out on patrol or kept with a war band for the season it’s on patrol or defensive duties.

Powers

The bow is in tune with its forest and has elf sense. It aids the Aldryami user by assisting in the draw and aiming.

*Damage 2d6+2, HP 9, ENC 2, range 120, Rate S/MR

*Stores 2d6+2 Magic Points that are refilled by the forest at the normal recovery rate.

*Adds +20% to hit, the forest tends to know then move out of the way of arrows fired by these bows.

*Adds +20% to Elf Sense.

*Range is not halved in the forest.

Value

These are not sold. If somehow taken out of its forest, it will just become a branch within a week.

Edited by 10baseT
  • Like 2