Chaosium BRP Monographs or something like that

Al.

I humbly suggest a new thread called Chaosium Monographs or something like that.

In fact I've started it and am relying on the mods to work their pixie magic and transfer the (ir)relevant posts across

Al

The mod is lazy. Also, he got complains when he in the beginning moved around post to the most appropriate forums, as people didn't understand where their posts went. ;)

Anyhow, a POD distributor for Chaosium monographs in Europe would have been most welcome. Currently, I only buy printed stuff from Chaosium whenever I get enough to go over the free shipping limit. I do appreciate the new PDF option though, as I can print the pdf at home, put the sheets in protective sheet covers and collect it all in a binder. :)

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Anyhow, a POD distributor for Chaosium monographs in Europe would have been most welcome. Currently, I only buy printed stuff from Chaosium whenever I get enough to go over the free shipping limit.

The Chaos Society could be a solution. They usually keep a stock of a lot of products, why not BRP monographs in print?

Andre, if you are reading this, please honk.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

The mod is lazy. Also, he got complains when he in the beginning moved around post to the most appropriate forums, as people didn't understand where their posts went. ;)

Don't give me excuses give me pixie magic! Honestly its as if you are doing this all for free as a favour to the rest of us.

Good call on European PoD though

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

Bad Jason, no biscuit! :P

I like the monographs, and I think they fill a much needed role in providing Chaosium a way of providing low volume cost effective support for CoC and BRP - which I'm afraid makes them problematic to get in print outside the US, unless one can manage to club together with friends and put in an order that qualified for free shipping...

I'm glad we've left the b&w tape bound card cover era behind, and I'd be happier if Chaosium made more of a distinction between monographs like BRP Adventures, where they did the editing etc, and ones where the editorial and layout is entirely down to the author ("Faculty papers" and "Student papers" perhaps?) but given the current physical format and there availability in PDF as well I really can't complain about the monographs!

Just need more normal distribution books... :D

Nick

Edited by NickMiddleton
typos galore!

A stop eejits cluttering up other threads with their ramblings

Al

Guilty as charged there:o. I really should learn the difference between a monograph and a proper Chaosium publication. Not that it makes that much difference when you're reading or running them.

I hope these are monographs:

The Green ( I could do with some wood and blood in my games):)

The Merchant's Scale ( Intrigue and dark forces! Count me in!)>:->

Sword & Spell ( Who can resist a dangerous dungeon?):D

The Covenant of Justice ( Some time in the future I'd like to run a superheroes game, and this might fit the bill);)

Good luck to each of the authors in getting them published ( in whatever form).:thumb:

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Love the title!

So, in the spirit of internet threads... any questions about Interplanetary?

Just kidding!

The difference between a proper Chaosium publication and a monograph is?

Monographs get to see the light of day within a year of their announcement.:lol:>:->

Edited by Conrad
http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

Monographs get to see the light of day within a year of their announcement.:lol:>:->

Harsh - but fair! :lol:

I'm not sure even Chaosium know the difference. Is BRP Adventures really a monograph? It's by multiple authors (so not 'mono'), Chaosium arranged the layout (I assume) and Chaosium commissioned it in the first place. I reckon they've just got into the habit of calling everything they actually publish "a monograph"...

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Oh, great. Now I have to hurry. :eek:

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Harsh - but fair! :lol:

I'm not sure even Chaosium know the difference. Is BRP Adventures really a monograph? It's by multiple authors (so not 'mono'), Chaosium arranged the layout (I assume) and Chaosium commissioned it in the first place. I reckon they've just got into the habit of calling everything they actually publish "a monograph"...

The big difference between a monograph and a full distribution book is that a monograph doesn't enter the full distribution chain. Monographs are only available from Chaosium's webiste, and even though Chaosium may grab stock art (art that they have on hand, not necessarily clip art) and do a small amount of layout, it usually doesn't get original art or a thorough proof reading and trip through the content editing cycle.

:D

Is BRP Adventures really a monograph? It's by multiple authors (so not 'mono'), Chaosium arranged the layout (I assume) and Chaosium commissioned it in the first place.

It's obviously a polygraph!

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

The big difference between a monograph and a full distribution book is that a monograph doesn't enter the full distribution chain. Monographs are only available from Chaosium's webiste, and even though Chaosium may grab stock art (art that they have on hand, not necessarily clip art) and do a small amount of layout, it usually doesn't get original art or a thorough proof reading and trip through the content editing cycle.

Some proof reading would be nice, BRP adventures is particularly bad.

Hmmm my Orangutang friend do you mean

the volume 'BRP Adventures' is particularly bad

or

BRP Adventures are particularly bad

?

Al the proofreader (well supercilious, picky bastard anyway)

Hmmm my Orangutang friend do you mean

the volume 'BRP Adventures' is particularly bad

or

BRP Adventures are particularly bad

?

Al the proofreader (well supercilious, picky bastard anyway)

I am not asking anybody to pay to read what I post here so who gives a flying **** which it is. But since you have established your credentials maybe you could offer your services to Chaosium.

Edited by sumtara

While I'm not going to dispute that better proof reading would be nice, monographs are definitely a case of buyer beware:

MONOGRAPHS ARE LONGER WORKS by one or more authors on a subject of import to Chaosium roleplayers. On these products the author has also fulfilled the functions of editor and layout artist; we at Chaosium have done little in the way of editorial. We found these works compelling and thought that you would enjoy them. Through the publication of monographs we can offer our most loyal fans more information, and evaluate the potential of these works for eventual release to the wholesale market. More importantly, they’re a lot of fun.

That above quote is as equally important to someone submitting a monograph as someone preparing to buy it. One of the key things a monograph author, or really any author, can do is give the work to somebody else to proofread before submitting it. You can't even count on a professional editor to catch all the errors, so the more eyes you have looking at the text, the better off you'll be.

Edited by cjbowser

...the more eyes you have looking at the text, the better off you'll be.

Couldn't agree more.

I had a good friend reading and re-reading everything I did. He offered suggestions, options and criticisms, some of them quite difficult for me to swallow. He's a picky bastard too and I didn't take all of his suggestions without consideration. But I knew if he thought something was strange or wrong it probably warranted another look. That and the play testers all got a look at the book before it got a seal of approval. All in I would say 6 people looked at it in depth and I think it helped hugely.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

Harsh - but fair! :lol:"...

Considering the amount of time Chaosium takes to publish announced projects maybe their "all rumours are true" motto should be "slow but sure".

Which translates into latin, by way of an online translator, to "tardus tamen certus".

I think Al was just appreciating the irony of your comment about proofreading.

I was indeed. I had hoped that insulting myself in my signature would have been clue enough. Obviously not. Sorry about that. :o

Offering my services as proof reader? QUite apart from time issues you clearly haven't read enough of MY posts to see just how comic such a suggestion would be :eek:

Al the chastened