Imagining Glorantha

Austin

5 hours ago, Crel said:

There's lots of mention of wattle-and-daub or jacal work, but what I was really curious about was stuff like Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon.

cliffhouse1.jpg

cliffhouse2.jpeg

cliffhouse3.jpg

Well Mesa Verde (one of my favourite places on earth) is pretty unique - you need a farming people who take shelter in cliff dwellings. One might consider the closest thing to Mesa Verde to be some of the human-constructed Pockets in Boldhome, like Geo's Pocket.

If I recall there are a few cliff dwellings in the Guide though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Jeff said:

Please return to the topic of the thread or I will lock it down.

As per Jeff’s and my request I have posted a reply to this controversy in the thread Spoilers Ahead which can easily be found by clicking on the following. Please do not reply to this post but go there if you wish to add anything or rebut.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Jeff said:

Several candidates in Fronela, which is an eye opener. For Anasazi proper I like the notion that this was the style of the archaic "Wind Children," in which case we might find sprawling but low density complexes surviving across the Shan Shan as well as ruins closer to home.  

• Like 3

singer sing me a given

2 hours ago, scott-martin said:

For Anasazi proper I like the notion that this was the style of the archaic "Wind Children," in which case we might find sprawling but low density complexes surviving across the Shan Shan as well as ruins closer to home.  

That's an interesting and clever fit.

2 hours ago, scott-martin said:

Several candidates in Fronela, which is an eye opener.

This surprises me a lot. Who are those candidates? 

Otherwise we might have the vegetarian Dwarfs of Pamaltela living in such structures - farmer dormitories and granaries along the valley farmlands they use, while the true settlement is far below. 

I was also thinking that if there are some people who live on the eastern side of the eastern rockwoods along the Wastes (so maybe along Wahalstorana) they might use such dwellings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

This surprises me a lot. Who are those candidates? 

Cliff Palace is still extant as an exemplar but it's not hard to imagine abandoned sites of a broader "Tarsel Hills culture" feeding various phases of architectural imagination like the ceremonial Kencom Tombs. A lot we don't know about the archaeological record up there. Odds are pretty good that they were a Mostal-adjacent people (apostates, escapees, survivors or scavengers) but the truth can be stranger than the first guess.

singer sing me a given

14 hours ago, Jeff said:

Well Mesa Verde (one of my favourite places on earth) is pretty unique - you need a farming people who take shelter in cliff dwellings. One might consider the closest thing to Mesa Verde to be some of the human-constructed Pockets in Boldhome, like Geo's Pocket.

It's not like Glorantha needs to have an analogue for every cool old thing on Earth. I wondered since the American South-West had such a big general impact on Glorantha's (and Prax's especially) development.

I really like scott-martin's suggestion with Wind Children, and I may end up determining that there are a few seasonally-occupied, similar dwellings in My Glorantha near sacred sites, like the Horn Mountains of the Eiritha hills.

• Like 2

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

4 hours ago, Crel said:

I wondered since the American South-West had such a big general impact on Glorantha's (and Prax's especially) development.

I might be inclined to put such places into the Wastes, perhaps around the Tunneled Hills - ruins of Godtime earth folk now riddled with Chaos.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I recently watched the 2019 Western Badland on Netflix, and while I wouldn't say it's a great film, the main character, Matthias Breecher, is nearly a perfect example of a Humakti. Stoic, badass, and intensely honorable.

Blurb: "Gunslinging detective Matthias Breecher is hired by one of the first African American senators to track down the worst of the Confederate war criminals. As he traverses the titular hellish badlands seeking justice, his resolve is tested when he meets a determined pioneer woman who is far more than she seems."

Plot spoilers:

Okay, so he does ambush a group once, and that spoils the Humakt vibe a little, but otherwise it's pretty great. And he did do his whole "I'm going to arrest you now" thing somewhat earlier; they just thought they'd killed him already.

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Today I discovered the French illustrator Philippe Druillet, and I immediately thought of Glorantha. Some of this stuff looks Lunar, the other stuff might be God Time or even Chaos, but pretty evocative stuff regardless. 

D3f1lrIXsAA5ULx.jpg

For Druillet, check Salambo.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The public library used to have a big coffee table book on Hungarian Folk Art.  Not the floral stencil patterns you see when you type Hungarian Folk Art into Bing Images or Books a Million or Barnes & Noble.  This book had ceramics, wood carvings, pictures of Hungarians in traditional outfits from the late 1800's and early 1900's. It seemed perfect for depicting the Pol Joni to me.  I thought the effigy jugs would be great for depicting Orane the steadwife and Durev the householder.  The multiple woodcarvings of Willow trees suggested that Overdruva the forest friend would have an important role among the Pol Joni.  Willow bark has medicinal properties and willows grow along stream beds.  The photos of Hungarian drovers on their horses gave me an idea of what Pol Joni outfits would look like.

In the early 21st century I made some contributions to the International Campaign for Tibet.  In return I was mailed some issues of Tibet Press Watch.  I saved the July 2002 issue for the article Tibetan cadres today.  The cadres listed in the article are: Liberal Ethicists, New Loyalists, Opportunists, Radical Traditionalists, and Cultural Revisionists.  From these I was inspired to create five cadres of my own for Sartar.  The New Wind - Sartarites ready to adapt new magic, gods, and skills from the lunar empire for their usefulness; The Moon Wind - Sartarites who have converted to Lunar faiths; The Trade Wind - Issaries and Argan Argar cultists mostly who view the Lunar Empire as a cash cow to be milked for all they can get; The Old Wind - Sartarites who utterly reject anything new from the Lunar Empire; The Solar Wind - Exiles and opportunists from across the Lunar Empire who have relocated to Sartar and have banded together out of self interest.

• Like 2

I found some really cool pics of some African fantasy characters. It's probably a bit more medieval than Glorantha, but then again Fonrit is based on AD/CE-ish West Africa, so it works, imho. Maybe some inspiration for Thinobutan-descended people? Either way, they really have that heroic, "enhanced realism"-feel to them that is fun in fantasy (reminds me of 13th Age in Glorantha artwork, if that makes any sense).
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/BVDE4

brian-matyas-2.jpg

brian-matyas-29.jpg

brian-matyas-30.jpgbrian-matyas-28.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

"Sartarites!

"We were defeated, you won the war.

"Sartarites

"Serving Sedenya forevermore..."

Hmm... I can see why ABBA went with Waterloo.

So do ya know a couple of gorgeous blond women vocalists , a guitar player and a keyboardist (I am not sure they had a bassist, did they?) and would you consider recording that? 

:)

I can do the whole chorus though:

"Sartarites!

"We were defeated, you won the war.

"Sartarites

"Serving Sedenya forevermore...

"Sartarites!

"Dragon rose up, and we're in  the maw

"Sartarites

"Reaching Moon Temple is on the floor

"Woah woah woah Satarites

"Still serving Sedenya forevermore."

I expect ABBA will be reaching out with a lawsuit should I proceed. Professional jealousy, you know. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, GAZZA said:

I expect ABBA will be reaching out with a lawsuit should I proceed. Professional jealousy, you know. :)

Not being a lawyer, I will not say for sure, but I believe filking (the art of singing a filk song for fun, at a con, etc, Duck,DuckGo is your friend here) is quite within the rules of fair play. In any case it is a time honoured tradition. 

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Not being a lawyer, I will not say for sure, but I believe filking (the art of singing a filk song for fun, at a con, etc, Duck,DuckGo is your friend here) is quite within the rules of fair play. In any case it is a time honoured tradition. 

I has even been done officially. IIRC, Dragon Magazine published 'Gnomish Space Marine' (based on Yellow Submarine) and a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody (on Ravenloft, if I remember well). Just after that, we were all singing 'We all live in the Gnomish Space Marines'

On 5/24/2020 at 9:51 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

It's also very possible that none of Agnetha, Björn, Benny, or Anni-Frid ever got fannish enough to go to a 'con, or encounter filking...

You cannot sue what you do not know of ...

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 minutes ago, g33k said:

It's also very possible that none of Agnetha, Björn, Benny, or Anni-Frid ever got fannish enough to go to a 'con, or encounter filking...

You cannot sue what you do not know of ...

Nah I'm pretty sure ABBA are hard core RQ players. You can't write something as profound as "Bang, A Boomer-boomerang" without knowing how Nysalor, Sedenya, and Argrath all fit together. :)

• Like 1