Can Chaos be Hidden?

EricW

2 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I am now imagining the Twilight story, but with ogres.

ogres would never be that creepy, how dare you. they'll eat you but they won't stalk minors sexually

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

As far as I know, the Cacodemon effect does not matter if you are Illuminated or not, it affects all Ogres who come nearer than a mile or two. In any case, even Illuminated Ogres have to eat.

bro are you sure? that's kind of the point of illumination - you are freed from cult requirements, which is how I read the Cacodemon effect.

for me the real question is if you still generate the Cacodemon effect.

(Can I add that I really hate the word Cacodemon and would really prefer if it were just "Bad God", which is what it means in Greek?)

Edited by Qizilbashwoman
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

oh that's my bad, I misread it as a response to me! my brain not so good.

Hey, that’s my excuse, oh hell, I can share... Still you must like one of my fave punk bands... Bad Brains.Oh oh, off topic.. he goes in for the save...

Yeah, illuminated ogres. I like both soltakss and Akhôrahil’s take. They might have more choice but that choice might be  to eat people. And Cacodemon’s sites might just be able to turn even illuminates. Gbaji is s major deity with major mojo, but the cacodemon is intrinsically tied into ogredom. Which would win, nature or nurture (if that expression can be used on ogres). Tough call.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

9 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

(Can I add that I really hate the word Cacodemon and would really prefer if it were just "Bad God", which is what it means in Greek?)

Or at least give us an Eudemon to compensate!

(I really dislike "Cacodemon" as well. It's more Gygax ("let me see what cool word comes up when I scan the dictionary") than Glorantha.)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

(I really dislike "Cacodemon" as well. It's more Gygax ("let me see what cool word comes up when I scan the dictionary") than Glorantha.)

Maybe think of it as "Cacode-mon" which can be cultivated into a full Devil form by its tamer?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

7 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

the entire point of illumination is to transcend the limitations of the runes - you can break cult vows, and so forth.

Is that the point of Illumination? No, it is just the munchkin's delightful side effect.

There appear to be mystic powers available to advanced mystics that may obey similar rules as chaos gifts. Levitation is a typical power associated with advanced mystics, as is emanating a glow. Longevity and a much diminished need for bodily comforts (like sustenance) are other such known side effects.

Sure you can hide your Chaos rune to prevent getting mercked by Storm Bulls or whatever, but you might not be particularly motivated to skulk in taverns with your kinfolk and eat travelers so much anymore, either.

A true mystic can go on with hardly any food, sentient or not. But hedonism is an acceptable outcome of or path towards Illumination, too, if Emperor Argenteus is an acceptable example. Horned boys might be tied into this...

Does Illumination protect from the deterioration that ogres face who don't consume sentient victims? I don't think so. An illuminated ogre may be able to make the conscious decision to make that choice, similar to the choice of the castrati broo cadre of Ralzakark to forego reproduction.

Illumination can serve as a counter to biological and cultural automatisms, but I don't think that it cancels them outright.

It isn't quite clear what exactly triggers the "Sense Chaos" ability of Storm Bull cultists, but whatever it is, even the most superficial Illumination appears to interfere with that. If you look at Oddi's complaint that he doesn't fall into the mindless rage of the Bull any more, it might be the same for a Chaotic - the mandatory rage at Creation has been mitigated. A person releasing Chaos will still trigger that Storm Bull sense, whether illuminated or not.

We've seen a broo get illuminated and make ... a move to become the Red Emperor. Another removed (!) its Chaos rune and became a Water god. And those are just broo.

We don't know whether Ralzakark was born as a broo, or whether he became one through his actions.

The Wild Healer is THE exception of illuminate broos. It is the character concept for Rev Bem in Roddenberry's Andromeda series (including the physical mutation later in the series). And we don't know of any offspring of this individual.

Illumination has been abused as a power-grabbing device, most notably by the Unholy Trio.

Illumination as the core tenet of the Lunar religion is tied to Sedenya's (loving) acceptance of Chaos. As the core tenet of solar religions, Illumination appears to be a separation of the physical world as a means to approach the Ultimate.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

19 minutes ago, Joerg said:

We don't know whether Ralzakark was born as a broo, or whether he became one through his actions.

I'd never thought of that. He might have taken Chaos Features and become a Broo. Interesting, If so, I wonder what he was beforehand.

20 minutes ago, Joerg said:

The Wild Healer is THE exception of illuminate broos. It is the character concept for Rev Bem in Roddenberry's Andromeda series (including the physical mutation later in the series). And we don't know of any offspring of this individual.

I seem to remember that the Wild healer of the Rockwoods is not Illuminated, but I might be mistaken.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Joerg said:

but the broo were a preexisting species that fell to Chaos when Ragnaglar did, and turned into, uh, implantation monsters.

What's remarkable about the three Broo is that one of them doesn't look like a broo (the one known as Ralzakark, rather than "Ralzakark with an arm" or "the Unicorn Emperor").

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

but the broo were a preexisting species that fell to Chaos when Ragnaglar did, and turned into, uh, implantation monsters.

What's remarkable about the three Broo is that one of them doesn't look like a broo (the one known as Ralzakark, rather than "Ralzakark with an arm" or "the Unicorn Emperor").

Did you ever consider the broo who managed to implant a unicorn? Like, how the f did that happen? Musta been Yelornan-related.

I did once wonder if his three bodies represented his three runes: perhaps Harmony for the Unicorn. I don't know the others: W for the creepy man-shape, and chaos for the broo with the arm.

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Still not as impressive as Stegosaur.

31 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

I MISSED THIS PLEASE DIRECT MY ATTENTION OR EXPLAIN OR BOTH

Dorastor: Land of Doom, page 41. There's also a Styracosaur and Stegosaurus broo.

image.png.9afbec3cda78f124b8c6a78c0f3d8a39.png

There's also this guy, but Platewalker is a were-stegosaur, not a broo. Dorastor: Land of Doom, page 78.

image.png.c3aabb112116da78673a0bc25818b765.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

@PhilHibbs *primly* we call them hsunchen now, Phil. The w-word is a slur.

Gotta appreciate that he's armed with a small sharpened tree and a stone ax but in the illo he's got a forged sword.

The stat block is a broo, the illustration is a different guy. They hate each other.

image.png.c56e88ae638fbc9d37799660a0986d55.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

*primly* we call them hsunchen now, Phil. The w-word is a slur.

Technically, only maybe.

Werecreatures are those born with the natural ability to change shape, or given the ability on a HeroQuest or Curse.

Hsunchen use magic to change, Werecreatures have it as a natural ability.

Some Werecreatures are born to Hsunchen, some are not. Those that are not born to Hsunchen have a difficult relationship with Hsunchen, as they are often seen as outsiders or as having stolen their powers.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

16 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

RQG starts with RQ2 as a base. But there is plenty brought forward from RQ3 as well. Many of the cults and their rune spells were not defined until RQ3's Gods of Glorantha set.

And man did GoG make up for the lag. Where RQ 2 had the quality but alas a mighty surfeit of material, RQ3 more than made up for it in quantity of cults introduced. The quality fluctuated but with good (if expensive) reprints of Troll Gods and (not as expensive) Cults of Terror and the intro of What the (Shaman/Godi/Priest/Grandmother/Foreman) says, well. I just hope that we catch up and surpass the wealth of great material already out there with some GaGoG goodness. 

Cheers

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!