Can Chaos be Hidden?

EricW

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

It isn't quite clear what exactly triggers the "Sense Chaos" ability of Storm Bull cultists, but whatever it is, even the most superficial Illumination appears to interfere with that.

Not always true - not all Illuminates possess all powers. There are Illuminates who still register on Sense Chaos. I don’t think this applies to most Lunars, though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And man did GoG make up for the lag. Where RQ 2 had the quality but alas a mighty surfeit of material, RQ3 more than made up for it in quantity of cults introduced.

Indeed it did. I loved the Cults of Prax/Terror long cult format, but also loved the sheer number of spells and information in the short Format of Gods of Glorantha.

7 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I just hope that we catch up and surpass the wealth of great material already out there with some GaGoG goodness. 

From what have seen, Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha has the breadth of Gods of Glorantha combined with the depth of Cults of Prax/Terror, so we should all be pleased.

Until, of course, we get threads about "Why was this God/Goddess not included?", "Why does this cult no longer get this spell?", "Why has this spell been changed?", "This cult doesn't match fan versions" and so on. 

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

From what have seen, Gods and Goddesses of Glorantha has the breadth of Gods of Glorantha combined with the depth of Cults of Prax/Terror, so we should all be pleased.

It has more deities than RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, almost all in Cults of Prax level detail long form writeups. And solid overview material for the different pantheons too. It is an epic work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davecake said:

It has more deities than RQ3 Gods of Glorantha, almost all in Cults of Prax level detail long form writeups. And solid overview material for the different pantheons too. It is an epic work. 

Thanks, I only have draft version as a PDF, so have resisted going into it in depth, as the final version might change.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 9/6/2019 at 10:12 PM, soltakss said:

Some Chaos Features are obvious, some aren't. An extra limb is obvious, as is Appears Harmless, but one is clearly chaotic and the other isn't.

I play that Chaos features are only really obvious if they are clearly visible. So, extra skin armour might be scales, horny hide and so on, but increased Strength might just be a muscular physique. 

52HqckM.jpg

You could try and say that your Storm rune is so powerful that you grew extra arms.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 9/12/2019 at 5:53 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

it's not actually that high in the Middle Air, though... you're technically right that it's in the Middle Air (which is the best kind of right) but I'm pretty sure it's a lot lower than Kero Fin's peak

From the Guide:

Red Moon: The Red Moon is visible throughout all of Glorantha, and is unique for a number of reasons. The Red Moon is the body of the goddess worshiped by the citizens of the Lunar Empire, who ascended into the sky in the Sacred Time of 1247. It is now much larger and brighter than when it first appeared, so large and bright that, alone among heavenly bodies, it is visible all day while the Sun shines. The Red Moon hangs motionless in the Middle Air directly above the Crater and the city of Glamour. The Red Moon is quite high up in the Sky, but not as high as the Sun or other planets. Its size appears almost as large as the Sun.

Edited by Brootse
  • Thanks 1

On 9/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, Qizilbashwoman said:

you're misunderstanding the illustration because our brains are used to a world that isn't flat, look again at Kero Fin and the moon and remember the world is flat

most of the air on earth is within 10km of the surface!

MOB talks about the horizon of Glorantha here:

7 hours ago, Brootse said:

From the Guide:

Red Moon: The Red Moon is visible throughout all of Glorantha, and is unique for a number of reasons. The Red Moon is the body of the goddess worshiped by the citizens of the Lunar Empire, who ascended into the sky in the Sacred Time of 1247. It is now much larger and brighter than when it first appeared, so large and bright that, alone among heavenly bodies, it is visible all day while the Sun shines. The Red Moon hangs motionless in the Middle Air directly above the Crater and the city of Glamour. The Red Moon is quite high up in the Sky, but not as high as the Sun or other planets. Its size appears almost as large as the Sun.

i'm still unclear about Kero Fin, though, as it touches the Skyworld.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 8:29 AM, Brootse said:

From the Guide:

Red Moon: The Red Moon is visible throughout all of Glorantha. Its size appears almost as large as the Sun.

Currently running a RQ:G campaign set in Kralorela, and IMG the Red Moon, whilst visible in the Kralorelan sky, is really really small, making the night real-world dark.

3 hours ago, GianniVacca said:

Currently running a RQ:G campaign set in Kralorela, and IMG the Red Moon, whilst visible in the Kralorelan sky, is really really small, making the night real-world dark.

Sure about that?

The problem closer to the Shan Shan, the more it might be eclipsed by the mountain peaks, but otherwise I always thought of the Red Moon as being as big as our moon say 3 hours after moon rise. Subjectively, that is.

While being the largest object in the night sky, the Red Moon isn't the most luminous, but Lightfore is, despite being only the third in size. And Lightfore probably is about a luminous as our half moon. Absent cloud cover, that means you'll be able to navigate in open territory (outside of forestation).

Also, along with Mastakos, Lightfore is the planet guaranteed to be in the night sky.

The second half of the night will be darker, as Lightfore moves away from the Gates of Dawn. However that is balanced by the pre-dawn appearance of Theya.

What does the Red Moon have to contribute to the night lumination? Her glow comes from a strange angle.

On a clear night, you may have a number of planets out or not, Orlanth's Ring might be traversing the sky or not, and the Red Moon might look into your direction or away from you. Those are the variables.
Lightfore is a constant, although it changes its angle. And Lightfore is complemented by the eastern and western Jumpers.

The position of the Celestial desert might affect your local night light slightly.

But in Glorantha you won't experience a New Moon's Night under a clear sky.

Cloud Cover will do its job, though. So might wandering shadows. Does Ignorance have them?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

19 hours ago, Joerg said:

Sure about that?

The problem closer to the Shan Shan, the more it might be eclipsed by the mountain peaks, but otherwise I always thought of the Red Moon as being as big as our moon say 3 hours after moon rise. Subjectively, that is.

While being the largest object in the night sky, the Red Moon isn't the most luminous, but Lightfore is, despite being only the third in size. And Lightfore probably is about a luminous as our half moon. Absent cloud cover, that means you'll be able to navigate in open territory (outside of forestation).

Also, along with Mastakos, Lightfore is the planet guaranteed to be in the night sky.

The second half of the night will be darker, as Lightfore moves away from the Gates of Dawn. However that is balanced by the pre-dawn appearance of Theya.

What does the Red Moon have to contribute to the night lumination? Her glow comes from a strange angle.

On a clear night, you may have a number of planets out or not, Orlanth's Ring might be traversing the sky or not, and the Red Moon might look into your direction or away from you. Those are the variables.
Lightfore is a constant, although it changes its angle. And Lightfore is complemented by the eastern and western Jumpers.

The position of the Celestial desert might affect your local night light slightly.

But in Glorantha you won't experience a New Moon's Night under a clear sky.

Cloud Cover will do its job, though. So might wandering shadows. Does Ignorance have them?

Can't you read? He said 'IMG'.

1 hour ago, Brootse said:

Can't you read? He said 'IMG'.

Despite that moonin' troll, night visibility in Glorantha can ignore the Red Moon.

Gianni wants a dark night for his Kralorela games, and reducing the apparent size of the moon was his proposed solution, when the Red Moon isn't really the problem.

That's something the Mongoose Second Age setting got wrong, too: Regardless of the size and phase (or even presence) of the Red Moon, Lightfore messes up a good night's darkness in a clear sky.

Lightfore was even brighter and possibly larger until the Bridling of Kargzant (late in the first century ST), and it was his presence that made the difference between the Greater Darkness and the Gray or even Silver Age. Further East, the Sun Disk apparently never went away all the way, and only the Emperor (HeenMaroun/Govmeranen) left the world. Kralorela (and Teshnos) may have received more of the Greater Darkness than the rest of the East due to the neighborhood of the Wastes.

Despite the apparent size of the Red Moon being roughly the same all over in canonical Glorantha, the intensity of the moonglow might diminish with the distance.

The glow might interact badly with the draconic energies permeating Kralorela - Argrath's dragon magic even nullifies the Glowline effects. Voila, a lot less reddish glow from the west.

And there is the possibility that a quest or huge ritual that weakened a specific deity may result in that deity's celestial representation being dimmed regionally. The eastern myths have a lot less to say about the death of the sun - they don't know or at least talk about that...

Likewise, Lightfore might be dampened in Kralorela since Godunya took over again from Sheng. Having an imperial magic that dampens the influence of Kargzant is well within the capability of the dragon empire IMO and might be a precaution against another such horse warlord incident.

My question about Shadows floating above Ignorance was another suggestion to get a pitch black night, or at least one a lot less bright than the Gloranthan norm. With that many demons/infernal  antigods hiding under Kralorelan cities, there might be something like the opposite of the Dara Happan glowing city spheres in the sky, too. A sort of sunglasses effect.

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I do not use RW equivalences in Glorantha because it is a magical world. In MY Glorantha (as someone has pointed out) the Red Moon looks tiny in Kralorela. Why? That's another matter, to which I haven't given any thought, but it's simply the way things are. With the growing Lunar presence in the Kingdom of Ignorance, the Red Moon looks larger there even though the distance is pretty much the same.

• Like 2