Jump to content
MOB

RuneQuest Sample Combat

Recommended Posts

"Combat feels very dangerous" - as a way of getting used to the RQG system, the 'Life And Times Of A Philippine Gamer' blog has written up a round-by-round account of RuneQuest combat, pitting Vasana, the iconic character from the rules up against a fearsome creature of Chaos:

https://philgamer.wordpress.com/2019/09/03/runequest-sample-combat

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to say whether the example is correct or not since we don't have the broo's stats. I'm rather surprised that it can't attack in the first round, that means that its melee SR with its spear is more than 7. In round 2 it is stated that its SR is 7 but that it will not attack until SR 12, with no explanation for this difference. It is Vasana who should be able to ready her sword (5 SR) and attack (7 SR) on SR 12.

In round 3 it is stated that Vasana attacks on SR 10. Not sure why this isn't SR 7.

There are many issues with this example, as far as I can tell. I might be missing somethiing though.

Edited by PhilHibbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As PhilHibbs said the Broo should have been able to strike in the first round at SR 12 (a Broo has a liste spear SR of 7)?

It also skipped phase 2 for two un-engaged opponents? Shouldn't they have closed before starting on SR? That part always confused me.

Why does the Broo become engaged only on SR 10? If it takes 5 rounds to both close and ready its weapon, shouldn't it be next to Vasana on SR5? Also, from my understanding of phase 2, the Broo should have closed the range even before SR are taken into account.

Anyways, this doesn't help remove any confusion for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need to go re-read that.

It looked to me -- on 1st skim -- like the GM was using a continuous rolling count of SR's across MR's, instead of resetting SR-count to zero at the beginning of each round ... ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for checking it out.

I've done two editing passes as I've come to understand the system a bit more with each pass (and each kind soul like Phil Hibbs dropping by to tell me where I went wrong)

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pointyman2000 said:

Thanks for checking it out.

I've done two editing passes as I've come to understand the system a bit more with each pass (and each kind soul like Phil Hibbs dropping by to tell me where I went wrong)

Heya!

Welcome to BRP Central!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pointyman2000 said:

Thanks for checking it out.

I've done two editing passes as I've come to understand the system a bit more with each pass (and each kind soul like Phil Hibbs dropping by to tell me where I went wrong)

indeed, welcome, millennium turos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pointyman2000 said:

I've done two editing passes as I've come to understand the system a bit more with each pass (and each kind soul like Phil Hibbs dropping by to tell me where I went wrong)

Well, nice of you to let us have a look at your thinking, cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This part is incomplete:
image.png.708c64eab4bfa23eb94991cc3b4e0244.png

Since the Broadsword does maximum special damage, it means Vasana first gets to decide on Impale or Slash, and then does maximum damage. On a Special result Vasana would roll 1D8+1 [basic weapon damage] + 1D8+1 [slashing or impaling extra damage] + 1D4 [Damage Bonus], which maximizes to 22 points of damage from the critical hit, not 13. (Yes, this is unbelievably nasty coupled with no damage reduction from armor.)

image.png.82944985e894833badaf175b9b127558.png

Edited by Akhôrahil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Akhôrahil said:

This part is incomplete:
image.png.708c64eab4bfa23eb94991cc3b4e0244.png

Since the Broadsword does maximum special damage, it means Vasana first gets to decide on Impale or Slash, and then does maximum damage. On a Special result Vasana would roll 1D8+1 [basic weapon damage] + 1D8+1 [slashing or implaing extra damage] + 1D4 [Damage Bonus], or 22 points of damage, not 13.

Now, I would say the choice (bolded italicized text) must be made during SOI...

 

49 minutes ago, pointyman2000 said:

I've done two editing passes as I've come to understand the system a bit more with each pass (and each kind soul like Phil Hibbs dropping by to tell me where I went wrong)

One solid improvement would be an inclusion of page citations of the rules in your examples. It would help much on the (group) editing and would help a little less at a later point when used by a curious player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Now, I would say the choice (bolded italicized text) must be made during SOI...

I would not - it means players need to say it before every attack, when it won't matter 80% of the time, and that's a time sink. Let them decide when it happens, it's perfectly sufficient and doesn't really cost anything. Although if they have made a SoI like "I run him through with my sword", then clearly the decision has been made already.

Edited by Akhôrahil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

I would not - it means players need to say it before every attack, when it won't matter 80% of the time, and that's a time sink. Let them decide when it happens, it's perfectly sufficient and doesn't really cost anything. Although if they have made a SoI like "I run him through with my sword", then clearly the decision has been made already.

I simply ask then to state a default action and let them know they can change it in the SOI of any given MR. No time soak very little to remember. I attempt to impale my foe, or I slash at the dark spawn and attempt to parry his fell mace. Simple...

Remember RAW and RAI both indicate that the impale can be problematic to wielder as well as victim. Who would choose to take a disadvantage which should rear its head every now and again. That is the disadvantage to spear versus it’s many advantages.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

On a Special result Vasana would roll 1D8+1 [basic weapon damage] + 1D8+1 [slashing or impaling extra damage] + 1D4 [Damage Bonus], which maximizes to 22 points of damage from the critical hit, not 13. (Yes, this is unbelievably nasty coupled with no damage reduction from armor.)

To me, it maximizes to 18+1D4. Crits only max weapon base damage, right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, kirinyaga said:

of course. The crit maximizes the part that got affected by the special. That's how I understand it.

Quote

 

A critical hit ignores the effects of armor or any other protection, and usually does maximum impaling, slashing, or crushing damage (depending on weapon type), as described above.

 

 

The above indicated is special hits from the various weapon types, so yes.

Form page 206 of RQ RiG

Sorry for all the edits but I think I got this tight now.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome @pointyman2000 and thanks for the write up!   Of course, I have questions :)

  • Round 1, it is said the Broo is readying his spear while running towards Vasana, and that should combine a SR 3 and SR 5, so the Broo should be engaged in melee and ready to fight by SR 5. He's got SR 7 for the Spear so he should be able to attack on SR 12 (the very last possible SR), no?
    • (It looks like the author thought that the Broo couldn't start doing anything until after its Base SR of 5? I don't think that's correct?)
  • Round 2, SR 7, as mentioned previously, it should only inflict -1HP to the Broo's spear.

I should also run a few solo fights, I'm pretty sure I'm going to mess up my first game... or I can just wait for the upcoming Starter Set, with any luck it will include a solo intro adventure like the CoC one! It's super useful to learn the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

One solid improvement would be an inclusion of page citations of the rules in your examples. It would help much on the (group) editing and would help a little less at a later point when used by a curious player.

Sorry I see I was wrong and you have cited your examples.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone is going to make any sense of the SRs in this example, I feel it would be helpful to have the DEX SR listed for both combatants, plus their total weapon SR. 

Also, is it too late in the day to say that providing a complete illustration of RQG combat from beginning to end should have been done by Chaosium, and not left to the RQ Community? Seriously, how long would it take someone to knock one up, proof read it and post it on here? It would resolve a lot of issues.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sumath said:

Also, is it too late in the day to say that providing a complete illustration of RQG combat from beginning to end should have been done by Chaosium, and not left to the RQ Community? Seriously, how long would it take someone to knock one up, proof read it and post it on here? It would resolve a lot of issues.

Hate to negative but this is fair comment. Nice take Sumath!

Perhaps one of the Great Old Ones can redeem themselves and help pointyman2000 put this bad boy to bed.

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sumath said:

If anyone is going to make any sense of the SRs in this example, I feel it would be helpful to have the DEX SR listed for both combatants, plus their total weapon SR. 

Also, is it too late in the day to say that providing a complete illustration of RQG combat from beginning to end should have been done by Chaosium, and not left to the RQ Community? Seriously, how long would it take someone to knock one up, proof read it and post it on here? It would resolve a lot of issues.

In principle I agree, but the shaky editing of the combat rules (in some parts, it's downright bad, and Chaosium honestly should look at releasing a 1.1 version) means that we would probably have had an example that doesn't quite match the rules, and that would have increased the confusion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

In principle I agree, but the shaky editing of the combat rules (in some parts, it's downright bad, and Chaosium honestly should look at releasing a 1.1 version) means that we would probably have had an example that doesn't quite match the rules, and that would have increased the confusion.

And damn, I also agree, I would rather not have 3 RQ RiGs around the house... but fixes are needed. Now I love the game enough that I will not get mad about it but... I am a bit disappointed while being mostly impressed. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

In principle I agree, but the shaky editing of the combat rules (in some parts, it's downright bad, and Chaosium honestly should look at releasing a 1.1 version) means that we would probably have had an example that doesn't quite match the rules, and that would have increased the confusion.

This is Chaosium's opportunity to give clear guidance on this. A practical example of combat, including missile, melee, spell casting, use of bound spirits etc would resolve a lot of debates around the combat system, give reassurance to new (and returning) players, and act as a great advertisement for the game. Win-win.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...