Top ten on DriveThru!

Okay, one should not indulge in such a shameless self celebration, but I think most fellow members of this forum will enjoy the news.

Rome is in the top ten best selling products on DriveThruRPG! We are #9, we were #8 yesterday and I hope we will stay there for long. Thank you, WotC, for deserting the PDF market and leaving us room for growth and success! BRP is finally back in the top list of RPGs, where everyone can see it in the place it deserves. :thumb:

If someone wondered what I actually meant when I mentioned "third party support" as the key factor for BRP success some months ago, well, this is what I meant! I am particularly proud that it was Alephtar Games that provided the support that Pete Nash's fantastic book needed to see the light of the day :cool:

You may also want to visit the Alephtar Games web site to see a picture of Charlie smiling while looking at a big pile of copies of Rome, and Pete illustrating the book to an adoring (literally) audience at Tentacles.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

High-fives all the way around :thumb:

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

Two things. Someone who has purchased it needs to post a review on drivethru to increase sales. Secondly, correct the following typo:

We would like to spend man lines to describe what is in this 220-page sourcebook,

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Two things. Someone who has purchased it needs to post a review on drivethru to increase sales. Secondly, correct the following typo:

Seriously guys, if somebody could write a glowing review (if you think it deserves it), it would really help. Despite the top ten placement on DriveThru we have yet to reach our break even mark... and after two years of research I put into writing it, it'd be nice if I could earn at least enough to celebrate with a round of drinks.

Remember its not just Rome you will be helping out here, but also promoting BRP in the eyes of the roleplaying community. If the first professional looking supplement earns top marks and critical acclaim, then it will aid future BRP books... Your own books!

So get your sardonic writing caps on, and if you can spare a few minutes of time, go give out some stars. Many thanks for all your support. :o

I bought the PDF. It is really good. My only quibbles being that it could have used a better map of the city (or more, considering the historical periods covered), and maybe a caption under the illustrations, to indicate what the images were. Finally, I would have loved to see it bookmarked. The bookmarking alone is going to cost you a star from any reviewer that works primarily from PDF files.

It's worth buying a hard copy too.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

Despite the top ten placement on DriveThru we have yet to reach our break even mark... and after two years of research I put into writing it, it'd be nice if I could earn at least enough to celebrate with a round of drinks.

Easy, Pete. Break even was reached exactly while you were writing the message. Not sure how many people you want to cover with that round of drinks, but you will surely get some money from the book this month. And Chaosium is getting some bucks, too. :cool:

Nevertheless, if someone took the time to write that review we would be very grateful.

Edited by RosenMcStern

I can't review it before it arrives, and don't include me in that round of drinks either - neither of those wouldn't be ethical. :innocent:

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Easy, Pete. Break even was reached exactly while you were writing the message.

Double congratulations then.

And well done to Pete and Rosen/Alephtar for having the balls to see this project through

Al

Rule Zero: Don't be on fire

I bought the PDF. It is really good. My only quibbles being that it could have used a better map of the city (or more, considering the historical periods covered), and maybe a caption under the illustrations, to indicate what the images were. Finally, I would have loved to see it bookmarked. The bookmarking alone is going to cost you a star from any reviewer that works primarily from PDF files.

Creating a bookmarked pdf is beyond my software and ability so that's one I'll leave for Paolo.

However I will defend the Rome map by saying that it is a combination of all the best available maps of that period (which to be blunt are all piss poor!) Quite simply I had to get Colin to create it from scratch, and then ride him hard ensuring that all the known buildings, monuments, streets etc were in the right place.

It may seem shocking, but there's a vast number of Republican buildings mentioned in extant documents, but nobody knows where they actually were! An even greater problem is that the city flooded and burned on such a regular basis that the large sections of the city layout changed on a yearly basis. Then the wealth of the Imperial period caused massive redevelopments from Caesar to Caesar, so that stuff was torn down and built over. Whole streets vanished completely! All the really pretty maps you can find on the internet are of mid or late Imperial Rome. There's nothing decent out there for Republican times, and if you ever find one let me know because I want a copy of it! :)

The Classicist who vetted the map's historical accuracy, said it was the best he'd seen of the period, and even asked express permission to be able to use it in his classes. So don't disparage the poor city maps, they really are the best available! ;)

It doesn't seem that shocking to me. Things that "everybody knows" tend to be the ones taken for grated and not preserved in writings and maps.

If someone needed to find something, they would ask somebody, who would give directions or just point to some building in the distance. Once a buidling no longer existed, few people cared enough to keep track on where it had stood.

One nice thing about RPGs is that such vague areas give authors more wiggle room. For all we know everything might have been exactly where Pete placed it.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Hmmmm, the bookmarks could be a good idea. I forgot they could be added after Dario had finished the post-processing. I'll see if I can add them later this week, before too many people download the non-bookmarked version. The e-shops allow redownloading, but the file is rather big.

In fact, the maps are as accurate as they can be. I have lived in the Eternal City for a long time and the only places I recognize in them is the Circus Maximus and the roads. Almost all surviving monuments in Rome are from the Imperial Age.

Easy, Pete. Break even was reached exactly while you were writing the message. Not sure how many people you want to cover with that round of drinks, but you will surely get some money from the book this month. And Chaosium is getting some bucks, too. :cool:

Nevertheless, if someone took the time to write that review we would be very grateful.

WOW.... thats... um... very quick for this industry! :shocked: Congrats again! :thumb:

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary

The Classicist who vetted the map's historical accuracy, said it was the best he'd seen of the period, and even asked express permission to be able to use it in his classes. So don't disparage the poor city maps, they really are the best available! ;)

Clearly, I'm ignorant of the amount of work required to get what maps came with the book.

. . . Stepping slowly away from the keyboard. :o

Clearly, I'm ignorant of the amount of work required to get what maps came with the book.

. . . Stepping slowly away from the keyboard. :o

No need for embarrassment! :)

I thought exactly like you when looking at maps from previous Rome supplements. It wasn't until I tried to find a 'proper' map that I suddenly realised I was searching for information which simply doesn't exist! :eek:

But YourGamesNOW gives us more money, so we can live with an inferior ranking :D

Opps, I didn't know that. Sorry!

And don't worry about the ranking. The hits you see on DriveThru are mostly D&D players who got pissed off of not finding WotC stuff there and decided to have a try at "this other system".

Well if BRP gains some converts because of it, its no bad thing. :D