Griffin Mountan vs Island

Puckohue

4 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Having both, when I was playing RQ 3 I would use the StatBlocks from Griffin Island, (especially the sorcerers) but everything else from GM. 

There were also some addons published in WD for GI back when GW put out the UK addition. Which were rather good iirc. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Can not think of any specifics but yes, that does tweak my memory.

I want to say the Iron Lords who turned out to be some very funky Mostali ...which may have been in GM actualy. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Puckohue said:

I remember seeing someone claiming some parts of RQ3 Griffin Island were better than the RQ2 Griffin Mountain versions. My 1615 campaign might head in that direction but I lack the time to read and compare.

What parts of Griffin Island are better?

It adds Soldier's Port (which you could potentially use somewhere in the setting, or just borrow characters from). Might have been one or two inns added.

Also added Granny Keeneye, which was probably the most interesting addition.

I felt the "loss" of Glorantha was a big negative though. My Griffin Mountain book ranks among my top 3, most used, most worn RQ/Glorantha texts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd say either the Mountain or the Island are particularly good to spark your creativity. What things did you add to this campaign from your own imagination?

For example, the 2nd time I ran the Island, I created pirate orcs, a race of intelligent fire-breathing wolves, a race of really tiny humans (think Willow) and the slarge city where the arrows are supposedly to be found. Oh, and 3 tests to get to the ring of Ockless.

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It adds Soldier's Port (which you could potentially use somewhere in the setting, or just borrow characters from). Might have been one or two inns added.

Also added Granny Keeneye, which was probably the most interesting addition.

I felt the "loss" of Glorantha was a big negative though. My Griffin Mountain book ranks among my top 3, most used, most worn RQ/Glorantha texts.

I've said a few times if I was starting over with RQG I would be tempted to start at Griffin Mountain. Possibly as a prequel to the forthcoming Sartar Campaign Jeff and co are working on. Right now my players are sat around Apple lane and its Dark of 1626. Pretty soon I have a lot of significant events happening and I'm not sure what to do about that. My Co-GM has nabbed the Prax option and I was going to peal left to Grazelands and now I know there's a Grazelands book coming also.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's what I said in the MiG:

Griffin Island, 144 pages, Rudy Kraft, Paul Jaquays, GS, Sandy Petersen, 1987.
The last book in the series, much akin to what was done for Land of Ninja.  They redrew the maps and added supplemental NPC information for personalities such as Bluebird, Cracktwig, Eagle Eye G’jorni, Errap Barbacon, and Joh Mith.  Soldier Port is a new city. They also beefed up the encounters with a party of Broos, some Citadel warriors, and a group of Dwarves.  I’m not a fan of having cut-apart play aids bound into the book, especially when the binding is as tenuous as it is. Most of the art pieces are new as well.

White Dwarf #98, February 1988.
Iron Warriors, Jon Quaife, pgs 35-37. Four mysterious characters for Griffin Island. A nice little addition.

White Dwarf #101, May 1988.
Trouble at the No. 1 Inn, Jon Quaife, pgs 17-30. A Griffin Island scenario for up to 6 characters. It includes dwarves, Gondo Holst,  Tarn the Tiger and his pirate crew. 

White Dwarf #101 is the last issue with any RuneQuest content in it. Thusly an era ended.

• Thanks 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/15/2020 at 1:14 PM, Thaz said:

I want to say the Iron Lords who turned out to be some very funky Mostali ...which may have been in GM actualy. 

Definitely for Griffin Island, which I found perplexing at the time in light of my familiarity with Griffin Mountain.  At the risk of revealing a very obscure spoiler (Bill, look away -- I'm not going to use the code) they were odd Mostali, effectively in mecha suits.

!i!

• Haha 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

13 hours ago, Thaz said:

was starting over with RQG I would be tempted to start at Griffin Mountain

I love the book, was one of the playtesters, and it could be a good intro.  But for visiting Sartarites or Balazarings?

The former has the disadvantage (and, arguably, the advantage) that you don't get aided by / annoyed by all the cultural and religious tie ins and requirements.  Yes, they are nice and Gloranthan, but sometimes a distraction to a beginning player trying to grok Glorantha.

The latter has the disadvantage that it may be hard to follow up with the "standard" campaign stuff.  Which is overwhelmingly Ernaldan in theme.  (IMO, too much, but that's for another thread).  A quick search of the Griffin Mountain PDF founds zero matches for "ernalda"😞

Edited by Rodney Dangerduck

2 hours ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Just to piggyback on this thread. Is it better to get the original Griffin Mountain or the Moon Design version? And does it include scenarios?

Moon Design is pretty much the Definitive Edition. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:54 AM, Thaz said:

Moon Design is pretty much the Definitive Edition. 

I totally understand what you are saying and as an owner of all the varieties available I will respectfully disagree and say I truly love and prefer the original (despite fact that the binding has now fallen apart and the pages are now kept in a three ring binder). That being said, getting the original will probably cost 100s of dollars so do not listen to the old crotchety barbarian. No, listen to reason—and Thaz...

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Just now, Bill the barbarian said:

I totally understand what you are saying and as an owner of all the varieties available I will respectfully disagree and say I truly love and prefer the original (despite fact that the binding has bow fallen apart and the pages are now kept in a three ring binder). Now, that being said, getting the original will probably cost 100s of dollars so do not listen to the old crotchety barbarian. No, listen to reason—and Thaz...

Well I will be going for a PDF so price isn't an issue! What is different about the original that makes it better? I do prefer the cover but since I'm getting a PDF that doesn't really matter.

17 minutes ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Well I will be going for a PDF so price isn't an issue! What is different about the original that makes it better? I do prefer the cover but since I'm getting a PDF that doesn't really matter.

Nothing, other than the fact that I am an old crotchety barbarian!

On 3/16/2020 at 5:26 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

I love the book, was one of the playtesters, and it could be a good intro.  But for visiting Sartarites or Balazarings?

The former has the disadvantage (and, arguably, the advantage) that you don't get aided by / annoyed by all the cultural and religious tie ins and requirements.  Yes, they are nice and Gloranthan, but sometimes a distraction to a beginning player trying to grok Glorantha.

The latter has the disadvantage that it may be hard to follow up with the "standard" campaign stuff.  Which is overwhelmingly Ernaldan in theme.  (IMO, too much, but that's for another thread).  A quick search of the Griffin Mountain PDF founds zero matches for "ernalda"😞

I would go for the former, hands down.
As for the lack of Ernaldans, if I'm not wrong, agriculture has not been introduced yet in the region (perhaps that was only in Griffin Island though), which would explain why there are no Ernaldans. But if one Ernaldan PC were to arrive there and start spreading agriculture and the cult of Ernalda, maybe awakening the local Earth goddess, that would make an epic campaign.

• Like 3

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

10 hours ago, goldenwheeldancer said:

Is it better to get the original Griffin Mountain or the Moon Design version? And does it include scenarios?

Many of us have very fond memories of the original Griffin Mountain, and it was a well-used book.  

But both pdf versions have largely the same content (e.g. much of the content/articles added into the Moon Design version from various sources has also been added into the re-released GM pdf).  Personally, I like the original artwork so would likely choose that one.

Griffin Mountain was a sandbox campaign.  It has places, encounters, NPC's, etc. and adventure hooks (e.g. maps, rumors of treasure, etc.).  There are no formal scenarios - it's up to either GM or players to drive what they want to make of it.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, Ian Absentia said:

(Bill, look away -- I'm not going to use the code)

Far too late padawan, my jedi mind trick worked.

I have never said to use the spoileroos so loved by soltakss... ever. I said, "mention there are spoilers." But there ya go, proving yourself to be a good citizen full of... compassion (what did ya think I was going to say? ;). And oddly enough, I always read the spoilers anyway. Well, there was one time a spoiler almost ruined the surprise at the end of a movie (and this occurred here in BRP, so...). My spidey-senses tingled and I looked away before harm was done. I went back and looked at the spoiler (that was claimed to not be a spoiler) when I finished watching the film and thanked Arachne Solara for the warning

I make the stink that I do for the sake of others. C’mon, playing a hero for close to 4 decades in gaming, of course I have an inflated sense of myself as a heroic figure and ask (yea verily, even demand ) compassion for the innocent :)

16 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Nothing, other than the fact that I am an old crotchety barbarian!

I have 2 physical and 2 pdf different editions of it 😄  And thats AFTER I sold off my rq2 and duplicate collection.....

10 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Somewhere along the Defender's Shore of Prax (a picture's worth a 1000 words!) 😉

Hide contents

139371861_statueliberty1.jpg.c12108dd2bbf7165b7d62539b2540108.jpg

A horse rider in Prax? Someone worshipping an ancient idol?

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here