QuestWorlds SRD

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And we are live https://www.chaosium.com/questworlds-system-reference-document/ https://questworlds.chaosium.com/ Looking forward to what you all do with this. For errors that you'

...says the person who has a grand total of 2 posts on this board 😜 I don't like Facebook both because of what it means and represents, and because its UI is just plain bad to have conversations

Congratulations to Ian and the rest of the Chaosium team for getting this out Its warmed the cockles of this old HQ Narrator's heart and as a publisher made my head explode with the possibilitie

Posted Images

On 12/15/2020 at 8:40 PM, craigm said:

Adding to this: perhaps some guidelines for where you'd want to have a 3, 6, 9, ... M, M2 vs 5, 10, 15, M, M^2…  might help as well. When I compared this against the published rules for HeroQuest I wondered why the bump as so large.

(And I wasn't sure where to put the discussion about it.)

Sure. Maths.

This Any Dice programme is an update of the old HeroQuest one, but the math is not *significantly* different.  One of the things you will be able to see is that in opposed D20 systems 3/6/9 doesn't really move the needle very much. it's about a 6/9/18 % improvement. If we move to 5/10/15 that equates to about a 10/20/30 % improvement.

Given you get one augment for an augment to be meaningful it needs to be 5 or 10. You won't notice the impact of 3.

Skipping the big jump makes it easier both in terms of math, and avoiding the large change in probabilities in one move.

So I would move on from 3/6/9, it was well intentioned, because it recognized the way numbers work in opposed D20, but it was too conservative.

That also means moving numbers back to 10 and 15 to make the same progression of advancement to reach a mastery. It does mean that a -10 penalty means you can't succeed with an ability, you need to try something else, whereas before it required a bigger penalty to do that. But again, that makes penalties more impactful.

• Like 3

Why the jump to M2? Well, HQ has always had that jump to M2 there. It is useful because it represents the same thing as the old 'complete victory" or "complete defeat". It essentially says: try another way, if you want to defeat that.

Could we just keep going up in 5s? Also Maths. Once you get past +M, it gets into quite marginal differences quite fast

10M vs 10 85% odds of success

15M vs 10 90% chance of success

20M vs 10 97% chance of success

5M2 vs 10 98% chance of success

10M2 vs 10 98% chance of success

So M2 is really the break point for "you can't"

But we will discuss the odds, and if folks want to use the extra increments for a resistance, of course they can

Edited by Ian Cooper
  • Like 2

I do understand the “need” for the M2, it is just the hockeystick shape thats jars me a bit, I mean it is not difficult to memorize, but it is another one, and a more natural progression would make that easier.

And as you say the diminishing return in probability is really glaring. 

I have been shopping around for a system to use for a superpower-centric campaign with scalability,  crunch and freeform at the same time and your work on the SRD has really made me root for QuestWorld.

A question about Augments and the Bump in relation to this clause: "Given you get one augment for an augment ..."

I understand "one Augment" has been the law of the land for some time. But honestly, my sweet spot was back in the Hero Wars days, where a CP could stack as many Augments as he wanted as long as they made emotional and narrative sense. I didn't have any problems with anyone scanning their sheet endlessly for Augments. It was all intuitive and emotionally based.

With that in mind,@Ian Cooper, do you have any thoughts about what would be the proper set of bonuses for augmentation? Or does the whole thing become too elastic for you, without any sense of grounding to work from?

15 hours ago, creativehum said:

A question about Augments and the Bump in relation to this clause: "Given you get one augment for an augment ..."

I understand "one Augment" has been the law of the land for some time. But honestly, my sweet spot was back in the Hero Wars days, where a CP could stack as many Augments as he wanted as long as they made emotional and narrative sense. I didn't have any problems with anyone scanning their sheet endlessly for Augments. It was all intuitive and emotionally based.

With that in mind,@Ian Cooper, do you have any thoughts about what would be the proper set of bonuses for augmentation? Or does the whole thing become too elastic for you, without any sense of grounding to work from?

I'd say in that case keep the numbers you're already using.

Thank you for your comment.

Some more context:

I moved along with the game line with each new edition. 

It has been in the last few weeks I’ve begun comparing the different versions of the Hero Wars/Heroquest line that I realize I found the earlier versions easier to run. 

Given that a lot of thought has been put into the SRD I though I’d check with Ian on the matter. 

I would like to run a Glorantha campaign using Six Seasons in Sartar and am deciding which rules system to use (RQG or a version of HW/HQ/QW) and wanted to ask Ian about using multiple Aguments.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, BruceMri said:

It's been long enough since I downloaded from GitHub that I need a reminder, I'm afraid. How can I download an actual RTF file rather than this? Thanks in advance; I know I'll feel foolish when I get the answer.

Ah, line numbers in an editor, I remember those!

Save it and open it in Word, or some other office suite, most allow you to open RTFs.