Out now in Print & PDF: Six Seasons in Sartar

Nick Brooke

Six Seasons in Sartar, a coming-of-age RuneQuest campaign by Andrew Logan Montgomery, is available now from the Jonstown Compendium (144 pages, $19.95 in PDF / $39.95 printed hardcover). And it’s brilliant.

If you are at all interested in RuneQuest or Glorantha, buy this book.

It’s an introductory campaign to get new players into RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha, extensively playtested and beautifully presented.

It contains episodes and scenarios that can be plugged into any game set in Sartar: you don’t have to be children of the Haraborn clan to use this book.

It contains background on and fully worked examples of heroquesting, one of the more confusing aspects of Gloranthan games, fully integrated into the life of the Haraborn clan - which is presented in cult writeup format, because cult is culture, don’cha know? (Genius idea)

It has neat tricks for presenting NPCs, inc. a Rune-rating based personality notation schtick I will shamelessly steal for my own future works, and is framed within a wonderful metafictional conceit that has liberated me to think the previously unthinkable.

tl/dr: Buy this book. Thank me later.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/313871/Six-Seasons-in-Sartar?affiliate_id=392988

Six Seasons.png

Edited by Nick Brooke
Gold Best-Seller, general update post
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Six Seasons in Sartar, a coming-of-age RuneQuest campaign by Andrew Logan Montgomery, is available now from the Jonstown Compendium (144 pages, $19.95). And it’s brilliant.

If you are at all interested in RuneQuest or Glorantha, buy this book.

Although I had read through some of the initiation content in Andrew's blog previously, the content of that is superb and I'd highly recommend that alone for any GM to transform character creation into a memorable starting session.  

The style, presentation, and artwork are all first-rate.

• Like 2

OK,  so any details about the scenarios rather than "just buy this", I've looked on Drive Thru but no proper reviews yet. I'm looking for a campaign similar to Borderlands, where you can just drop adventurers into it and do some old school adventuring eg. Snakepipe Hollow or Five Eyes Temple, not young clan members being initiated into clan rites regarding stealing cows.

8 hours ago, Eddy said:

I'm looking for a campaign similar to Borderlands, where you can just drop adventurers into it and do some old school adventuring eg. Snakepipe Hollow or Five Eyes Temple

It's a clan-based campaign, not a location sandbox.  I have not gone through the scenarios enough to comment on how well they can be generally utilized, but per the introduction they include:  

• the disappearance of young children from the community
  • the Sartarite rebellion and a mysterious Second Age temple
  • an abduction, and efforts to stage a rescue
  • the arrival of Prince Kallyr to the community
  • war and the wrath of the Lunar Empire

It also includes extensive notes and guidance on running heroquests in RQG, a dozen mini-scenarios to incorporate into a campaign (generally clan oriented), and ways to extend the campaign. 

• Like 1

I just picked it up last night.

I'm a bit curious about the initiation sections... I've read that Ernalda is going to accept males (non-nandan) to Initial level... Will this be reflected or the section re-written later?

(Possibly the same question regarding women and Orlanth, who aren't Vingan)

I'm definitely liking what I've read so far, especially with the design in mind!!! A more personal and nuts and bolts approach.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I've read that Ernalda is going to accept males (non-nandan) to Initial level... Will this be reflected or the section re-written later?

Given that initiation to the deity is usually distinct from initiation into adulthood, I think this can be played in a couple different ways without requiring any change to the initiation sections.

As Andrew notes (p.35): "the default assumption is that all “biological” girls go through Ernaldan initiation after menstruation, and all “biological” boys go through male adulthood rites soon after coming of hair. Later, they may join cults like Vinga or Nandan to change their gender roles."

So, the boy goes through typical initiation into adulthood, but their encounter/event in the pits points them to "another way". 

• The Deep Well - the confrontation with the Ancestor is with one of the grandmothers. The experience produces a revelation of the Riddle - perhaps even takes the character through that - and leads the PC to Ernalda (regardless of gender).
  • The Strange Gods - it is not a Telmori here, but someone else. Maybe it's Natha the two-faced bell goddess, or the Bat goddess, or even the ghost of Glorantha.  Whatever the figure, it leads to "another way" - some path towards peace or communication or community, that is Ernalda.  See figures from Prince of Sartar webcomic: http://35miooci0or1unsgd3065qk1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Page-3-Flat.jpg
  • The Sex Pit - while this is portrayed as the path to Ragnaglar and Chaos in the myth and in Six Seasons (good dramatic effect), I suspect that is not the only outcome (if it was then 20% of boys would go raving mad or die during initiation or be killed immediately thereafter).  Instead, I think that is the outcome of failure.  But this may also be the path of Kolat and shamanhood (those who can transcend the experience), or the path to Nandan/Ernalda (perhaps it is part of the Riddle? experience), or the path to Chalana Arroy (who experienced the abuse of the demon in Hell), or even the path to Eurmal.  The question on this path is whether and how the character can overcome desire/lust, addiction, etc.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Six Seasons in Sartar is now a Gold Best-Seller on DriveThruRPG, with more than 500 copies sold. The book is available in digital ($19.95) and printed hardcover ($39.95) formats from the Jonstown Compendium, and is one of the best-rated titles in Chaosium's community content store for RuneQuest and Glorantha.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Badger said:

After spending the last week reading about how awesome Six Seasons is, I decided to buy it today, but it appears to have disappeared from DriveThruRPG. Does anyone know what happened to it?

It looks to have been taken down. Maybe Andrew can comment.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 minutes ago, soltakss said:

It looks to have been taken down. Maybe Andrew can comment.

I've asked Drew, but it's the wee hours of the early morning in Tokyo and I kinda hope he's asleep. I'll let you know what I learn.

• Like 1

What foul witchery is this?!?

To whom--if anyone--it may concern, I have just learned moments ago that "Six Seasons in Sartar" has gone missing from the Jonstown Compendium.  Personally, I blame Blue Moon agents.  I have messaged DTRPG about it. On the author's end it still reads as "active and on sale" but if you search for it, you ain't gonna find it. Hopefully all will be resolved soon!

• Like 2

Right, we’re still working out what happened (Tech folk reading logs), but the book is available again. Here’s a direct link: 

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/313871/Six-Seasons-in-Sartar

• Like 1