BRP: Classic Fantasy (Was Sword & Spell)

threedeesix

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great news! 150 new spells? That's... a lot of spells!

Are you using just the magic rules, or are you using sorcery as well?

Just Magic. But tweeked a little differently if your a cleric or druid. Magic-users and illusionists use it unmodified.

I do use this really awesome system for potions and their creation that I got from... well that would be you. :rolleyes:

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Sounds like a nice idea, to capture the feel of traditional D&D, albeit with BRP. I preferred the title Sword and Spell, as it conjures up a more an old school feeling when you see them name.

I might take a look at this once it's published.

Thanks, I was bummed when I couldnt use the name. But then again I was bummed when I couldnt use Hack-N-Slash and Chaos & Catacombs. If I end up not able to use Classic Fantasy for some reason i'm gonna lose it (and I don't mean the name) :mad:. I've already worn out the "find and replace" function in Microsoft Word.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

Thanks, I was bummed when I couldnt use the name. But then again I was bummed when I couldnt use Hack-N-Slash and Chaos & Catacombs. If I end up not able to use Classic Fantasy for some reason i'm gonna lose it (and I don't mean the name) :mad:. I've already worn out the "find and replace" function in Microsoft Word.

Rod

You have my sympathies. Good luck that Classic Fantasy sticks...

I had a similar problem but to a much lesser extent. I regard myself as well-versed in the area I am writing about (super-heroes) yet I managed to conceive a significant NPC with the name and similar powers to an existing character.

Now I had not read this published character yet, but when checking through some comic books I came across the fact and was a tad annoyed.

I just hope I have corrected everything before completing the manuscript...

Edited by leonmallett

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

For what it's worth, I reckon "BRP: Classic Fantasy" sounds classier than the others, anyway.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Rod

Why couldn't use those names?

Nathan Baron

Why couldn't use those names?

Hack-N-Slash is the name of a fantasy game for the Fudge system.

Chaos & Catacombs which everyone would abbreviate as C&C, would be confused with Castles & Crusades, which everyone abbreviates as C&C.

Sword & Spell got nixed with the announcement of Shadow, Sword & Spell.

It's ok though, for the last couple months of so I have known that it was to be Classic Fantasy and it has quite grown on me. I like the title as one can just look at the cover and know the feel the game is attempting to evoke.

Rod

Hack-N-Slash is the name of a fantasy game for the Fudge system.

Chaos & Catacombs which everyone would abbreviate as C&C, would be confused with Castles & Crusades, which everyone abbreviates as C&C.

Sword & Spell got nixed with the announcement of Shadow, Sword & Spell.

It's ok though, for the last couple months of so I have known that it was to be Classic Fantasy and it has quite grown on me. I like the title as one can just look at the cover and know the feel the game is attempting to evoke.

Rod

It's straight up and descriptive, probably very good marketing-wise, if, admittedly, not as cool or aesthetically pleasing as the others. People will have a pretty good idea from the title alone what it's all about.

:thumb::thumb:

If, for some reason, BRP: Classic Fantasy gets nixed, I think you should insist that it be titled:

"BRP: Spawn Of Fashan"

Aycorn, stop being an arse. Spawn of Fashan is a steaming pile of crap. >:->

Chaos and Catacombs was my favourite title. Classic Fantasy, while practical doesn't have that old school alliterativeness to it.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

What will volume 2: Gamemastery contain?

SGL.

I'm still organizing the stuff that got pulled from the first volume, but it looks like it will be as follows.

Chapter 1: Spot Rules

This is essentially spot rules that would in my opinion be GM only, specifically Surprise, Traps, Noise (Optional), Reaction Rolls, etc. This chapter is finished.

Chapter 2: Non-Player Characters

This will detail character classes like the Anti-Paladin and Assassin as well as everything from Hirelings to paying to have an ally raised from the dead.

Chapter 3: Monsters

Many monsters common to classic gaming, such Basilisks, Bats (large and normal), Beetle (Giant), Boar, Bugbear, Carrion Creeper, Cave Bear, Centipede (Giant), Creeping Cube, Displacer Cat, Doppelganger, Dragons (Red, White, Black, Green, Blue, and Gold, each with write-ups for Small, Medium, and Large versions), Elf (Dark), Gargoyle, Gnoll, Giants (Hill, Fire, Stone, Cloud, and Storm), Goblin, Harpy, Hobgoblin, Hyena, Kobold, Lich, Lizard (Giant), Lizard Man, Medusa, Mimic, Mind Slayer, Mold (Yellow), Nymph, Ogre, Ooze (Grey), Owlbear, Pixie, Piercer, Purple Worm, Rat (Giant), Rust Monster, Saber-tooth Tiger, Shadow, Shrieking Mushroom, Slime (Green), Snake (Giant), Spider (Giant), Stirge, Thought Devourer, Tyrant, Wererat, Wereboar, Weretiger, Werebear, Wight, Wolverine, and Wolf (Dire). I'm sure there will be some additions as I finish up this chapter, it's currently more than half done.

Chapter 4: Treasure

Tons of magic items and tables for determining them randomly based on a monster's treasure factor (as per RQ 2nd ed.). Most magic weapons use a prefix and suffix system to randomly determine its qualities so few will ever be the same. This chapter is finished.

Chapter 5: The Realm

This may be included if space allows and would be a bare bones setting with just enough information to get a campaign started, that could grow into it's own supplement down the road. However, the game assumes a group is using an already established setting such as Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms, etc. My playtest has taken place in Mystara for well over a year now.

Chapter 6: Adventures

As for Chapter 5 above, This may be included if space allows and would include one to three short adventures, mainly of the dungeon crawl variety.

So there yah go. I'm sure much of the above will change, but at this time that is my goal.

Rod

I'm still organizing the stuff that got pulled from the first volume, but it looks like it will be as follows...
Perhaps you can sneak in your favorite title for the GM book. Name it "Classic Fantasy: Catacombs and Chaos." That should satisfy abbreviators (CF:C&C) and be distinctive.

Somehow, calling it the Classic Fantasy GM Book just doesn't do it for me.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Perhaps you can sneak in your favorite title for the GM book. Name it "Classic Fantasy: Catacombs and Chaos." That should satisfy abbreviators (CF:C&C) and be distinctive.

Somehow, calling it the Classic Fantasy GM Book just doesn't do it for me.

Steve

While I'm going to more than likly stick with Classic Fantasy: Gamemastery, you may have just named my first book of adventures. Classic Fantasy: Catacombs of Chaos. No one touch it, it's mine!

Rod

This is a very good idea for a supplement - probably making a straight competition for Castles and Crusades currently.

It could spark of a series of titles, designed to specifically replicate the 'feel' and structure of other 'Classic' RPGs. A 'Classic Sci-Fi' game, for example, could incorporate Lifepath Generation and Career Term advancement, along with rules for Starship and Planetary design......

I honestly think, if the game system is allowed to be flexible, then there are very few games that couldn't be done with BRP. Amber, Everway and Nobilis might be tricky though!

I honestly think, if the game system is allowed to be flexible, then there are very few games that couldn't be done with BRP. Amber, Everway and Nobilis might be tricky though!

I am very tempted to put together rules for character generation for a BRP version of Amber, but don't want to take time away from Interplanetary just now.

I am a huge fan of Amber Diceless Roleplaying and the Amber setting (I even wrote part of Shadow Knight and all of the unpublished Rebma sourcebook), but I don't see any reason that an Amber-set game must by default be diceless.

I am very tempted to put together rules for character generation for a BRP version of Amber, but don't want to take time away from Interplanetary just now.

I am a huge fan of Amber Diceless Roleplaying and the Amber setting (I even wrote part of Shadow Knight and all of the unpublished Rebma sourcebook), but I don't see any reason that an Amber-set game must by default be diceless.

My favourite part of Amber Diceless was the Attribute Auctions - could this be reconciled with BRP? Actually, the diceless element of the game is quite easy to manage - simply make straight comparisons between skill levels or characteristics, to determine conflict resolution. Of course there is nothing in the Amber novels themselves that strictly require it to be diceless, but the power levels are obviously very high. Very good source of fantasy ideas though.

• 3 weeks later...

Seems overpowered...i always played the ranger but damn dude its too good.

Nick

Yah, thats why I went with the riposte rules. The extra attack isn't a sure thing, and anyone can attempt it.

Rod

If, for some reason, BRP: Classic Fantasy gets nixed, I think you should insist that it be titled:

"BRP: Spawn Of Fashan"

I was going to suggest "Fritos and Fatbeards: BRP Retro Fantasy Gaming"

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

I was going to suggest "Fritos and Fatbeards: BRP Retro Fantasy Gaming"

HA! Thank you for your use of the term Fatbeard. I recently was on the receiving end of a flame war on another site for using the term when I was using it to describe someone I knew personally and have called Fatbeard _as a term of endearment_ many times. That part was glossed over as the mob shoved their pitchforks and torches in the air.

121/420