Call of Cthulhu SciFi Resources

greasyspoon42

I am new to Call of Cthulhu I just have ran the starter scenario and a couple of the solo mission.  My group is wanting to run a sci fi /horror scenario along the lines of the movies sphere and Pandorum.  I think CoC might me a good rule system for it.  I have the though the ages with the Icarus as an example but I was wondering if there are any websites with resources for CoC in a  scifi setting. Looking for things like skills and occupations.  Thanks for any help you can offer.

Thanks 

• Like 1

I believe there is a CoC supplement (for an earlier edition) for games in space, then you could also look in the stand along TTRPG Alien (which is supposedly the quintessential sci-fi horror system).

Alternatively, I think we'd be glad to help you out with creating specific skills/occupations or recommending good ones. What type of game are you planning on running? What is the setting like? For example, are the players going to all live on a spaceship or be astronauts? Or do you plan for them to take on the roles of aliens themselves?

• Like 1

-Voice of the Legion

As of now, Chaosium has only released a sample of Cthulhu Icarus in Cthulhu Through The Ages. There are rumors of a campaign or full-blown supplement in the works. Stygian Fox's Salo's Glory is a scenario on that setting, tho. In the old Miskatonic University Monographs there were a couple of sci-fi supplements under the name "Cthulhu Rising". The scenario collection Strange Aeons II had "Time After Time", which is set on a space ship as well.

• Like 4

going to run a hard sci-fi’s setting not elder gods or that.  It pre faster than light travel.  Players are scientists sent on a 4 month hibernation trip to researcher a problem and help the colonist.  Mid way they get woken up to find an unknown ship.  They board it and are greeted by an AI.  Explore the ship find the crew in hibernation. As they play found out the ship uses an experimental FTL engine that causes some of the crew to go violent/crazy and as it gets worse their bodies will break down on a molecular level.  Turns out it is then engines side effect.  But the Corp that sent them out know it and was studying the effect to weaponize it. The AI is part of it and will seek to stop the  Players from helping then try to kill them.  Players goal will be to escape or remove the AI.

• Like 2

If you go to Chaosium, there is the fine Monograph Cthulhu Rising... think Alien or Aliens with the Mythos, and you'd be almost spot on for the setting. Downside? Not much of one really. Made for previous version of Cthulhu, but easily convertible. 

In this sites Downloads section, you will find various Sci-Fi oriented downloads, including those that translate Traveller 2300/2300AD into BRP supplement form, the Technical Expansion for RQ3, and various other setting books and a few adventures.

As for something specifically for Cthulhu 7, I seem to remember Chaosium mentioning something, but my search ability seems to be escaping me right now. Oh @Mike M

SDLeary

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2020 at 6:43 AM, SDLeary said:

If you go to Chaosium, there is the fine Monograph Cthulhu Rising... think Alien or Aliens with the Mythos, and you'd be almost spot on for the setting. Downside? Not much of one really. Made for previous version of Cthulhu, but easily convertible.

The Cthulhu Rising website is down but you can get free dowloadable scenario and campaign right here https://gitlab.com/NHcthulhu/NewHorizon

12 minutes ago, Mike M said:

Cthulhu Through The Ages includes Cthulhu Icarus, a micro sci-fi setting / scenario.

There's a review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OVP-9Lt1E

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

• 2 months later...

A new sci-fi setting for Cthulhu has been announced. I look forward to hearing more about the Dark Frontier, which is apparently making an appearance in 2021. This topic came up in an interview with Mike Mason on the podcast Rollers of Ry’leh recently. There were some other fantastic announcements of campaigns etc. to come. 
https://anchor.fm/rollers-of-rlyeh

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

The first paragraph of "Call of Cthulhu" reads :- 

The first paragraph of "The Call of Cthulhu"

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

I'm guessing in the Cthulhu universe, an AI, with its superior ability to correlate and extract meaning from vast amounts of information, brings us a big step closer to that dread day of revelation ;-). 

1 hour ago, EricW said:

The first paragraph of "Call of Cthulhu" reads :- 

I'm guessing in the Cthulhu universe, an AI, with its superior ability to correlate and extract meaning from vast amounts of information, brings us a big step closer to that dread day of revelation ;-). 

If you haven't read the Laundry series by Stross I would recommend it.  The dangers of advanced computing.....

• Like 1