The divinations are correct: coming later this month... THE RED BOOK OF MAGIC!

MOB

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I don't see the original missile. But then, Firearrow has no business branching out. In either case, the fiery wings are hard to explain.

Perhaps think about a certain star goddess... 😉

Edit: it was referenced on the blog page introducing the new art director.

Edited by jajagappa

I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing the expanded sorcery stuff. I like how RuneQuest takes some of the tropes of wizards and fits them into the setting. Malkioni wizards, as part of the zzaburi caste, have to wear robes and a pointy hat, can't engage in physical combat or labor. Like wizards in D&D aren't good at fighting and are physically weak, and wear robes and pointy hats, etc. 

11 hours ago, MOB said:

Some more art illustrating spell effects from The Red Book of Magic - can you name the spells?

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The first seems like Truesword or perhaps Sword Trance.

I agree with the first the second might be Axis Mundi

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

17 hours ago, Joerg said:

Lightning for the active spell. Thunderbolt doesn't interact with magical or material armor.

I would venture Reflection for the defensive spell - the energy appears to have gathered in the front. The target of the Lightning spell is adorned by a big Moon Rune. Although it looks to me like the capacity of the Reflection is overcome by the incoming Lightning.

If it is Shield, then what we are seeing is only the Protection effect. Lightning is not countered by any Countermagic effect except on/very close to the caster or the object used in the casting. Once successfully called, the lightning is a "physical" effect.

This presumes the artist was more literal in their approach, and not metaphorical.

I can see why Thunderbolt makes more sense as the attacking spell, but if the artist decided that all magic would show up when being countered, then it could be any spell (even a healing!) hitting that barrier.

However, if the artist was more literal, then I'd suggest Thunderbolt (because it's coming from the top), and hitting a Reflection (which is why the energy is gathering at the centre.

Personally, I think it's something hitting Shield, and the Lunar is a Yanafil Tarnils (hence why the Shield is even up). I have no idea about what the lightning is doing - other than the aforementioned Thunderbolt... I would have suggested Lightning, but it doesn't look like it's actually zapping in from the right... But hey - artist's impressions!

26 minutes ago, MOB said:

Some of the cults in the The Red Book of Magic (coming soon!) are clearly up to no good. What evil magic is being done here, do you think? Art by Hazem Ameen.

They look Dara-Happan but they seem to have kind of the Peruvian look that they have in Six Ages? Or it's just my imagination?

On the ritual, those are Chaos and Light? (maybe Darkness, it's difficult to differentiate those two sometimes). By the runes I would say the good Nysalor the bright, but the effects seem to indicate some kind of undeath magic, thus Vivamort, but there is no Undeath rune in sight.

Edited by Jape_Vicho
  • Like 1

:50-power-truth::50-sub-light::50-power-truth:

5 hours ago, MOB said:

Some of the cults in the The Red Book of Magic (coming soon!) are clearly up to no good. What evil magic is being done here, do you think? Art by Hazem Ameen.

1572127865_ScreenShot2020-12-11at11_23_43pm.png.263f85649303873e5fd588b3cab31d6d.png

I've been loving all the art associated with RQG, since its release. This has instantly become one of my top three favorites. To my mind, this is the kind of image you can show people that catches their attention, fires their imagination, and inspires them to play the game.

• Like 6

So what rune magic do you reckon is taking effect here?

Art by Benjamin Bauchau from the soon-to-be-released The Red Book of Magic, our collection of over 530 Rune spells, rituals, and spirit magic spells for RuneQuest.

1981960054_ScreenShot2020-12-12at11_34_03am.png.8a854e7c0f0e44e1daa8fa4637197696.png
  • Like 9

My first thought was Summon Ancestor, but then felt that this would be a great representation of Turn Undead with the bison rider getting a Critical Success - as that could be an avatar of Humakt destroying the Ghoul

Either way loving the artworks, for these alone the book will be awesome!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MOB said:

This is a fun one by @Jan Pospisil. Hint: it's Trickster magic.

That is a wonderful picture!  Looks like Remove Eye.

The question though seems to be whether it's the Trickster casting it, or a bound Trickster spirit?  Or is there a second spell involved cast through the trickster's eye???

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MOB said:

This is a fun one by @Jan Pospisil. Hint: it's Trickster magic. From 'The Red Book of Magic', over 500 spells for RuneQuest coming soon...

913948606_ScreenShot2020-12-14at11_39_30pm.png.8985eddc3b43592ab128826bf39d1ebc.png

@MOB, you're such a teaser! 'Coming soon'! With all these fantastic pictures, you make me want this immediately! This is even more nerve-wrecking than waiting for Father Christmas ...

Edited by Oracle
  • Like 1

Here is a final piece of previewed magic, art by Joshua Cairós:

1509386289_ScreenShot2020-12-15at2_53_37pm.png.a50991937fa25ba213be6c253da4dac4.png

With the release of The Red Book of Magic imminent, we'd like to take the opportunity to acknowledge the amazingly talented array of artists our new art director Jaye Kovach has assembled for this book. Some of them are familiar names, having worked on previous Chaosium releases; many of these artists are new to Chaosium and the world of Glorantha. I think you can agree from what we've previewed here collectively they've hit a home run!

Artists featured in The Red Book of Magic:

1497079880_ScreenShot2020-12-15at3_17_33pm.png.46e159ee669319774098135d340a810b.png

Hazem Ameen, Dimitrina Angelska, Ben Bauchau, Thomas Haller Buchanan, Joshua Cairós, Antonia Doncheva, Nick Grey, Chris Huth, Kalin Kadiev, Jennifer S. Lange, Jeff Laubenstein, Anh Le, Rhonda Libbey, Michelle Lockamy, Daniel Macaluso, Lionel Marty, John McCambridge, Evelyne Park, Eleonor Piteira, Jan Pospíšil, Mark Smylie, Riley Spalding, Gábor Szügyi, Cory Trego-Erdner, Meagan Trott, and Katie Wakelin.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, MOB said:

we'd like to take the opportunity to acknowledge the amazingly talented array of artists our new art director Jaye Kovach has assembled for this book

Holy shit yes, congrats and thanks to Jaye, this is going to be one very pretty book! I'm happy to see many new visual takes on Glorantha!

By the way, yes, it happens to me often that I start cooking something and I remember my grandma telling me "don't forget to put the mushrooms first!". Oh, grandma.

Edited by lordabdul

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !