frogspawner

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had started roleplaying with Traveller

Cool, me too. Kind of unusual really, most people around here started with some form of D&D. I had never even sat in on a RPG game before, nor knew what one was. But those little black books intrigued me, and I was a die hard Star Wars fan at the time so I was predisposed to SciFi.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Kind of unusual really, most people around here started with some form of D&D.

I somehow managed to miss D&D completely, I only learned of its existence

about five years after I had started roleplaying.

The people I played with came from wargames and were into "serious" stuff,

they considered D&D a game for children, never bought it and never mentio-

ned it.

And since we had to mail order all games from England in the early years, and

could only order what we were aware of, I remained happily unaware of D&D

for several years. :D

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I somehow managed to miss D&D completely, I only learned of its existence

about five years after I had started roleplaying.

The people I played with came from wargames and were into "serious" stuff,

they considered D&D a game for children, never bought it and never mentio-

ned it.

And since we had to mail order all games from England in the early years, and

could only order what we were aware of, I remained happily unaware of D&D

for several years. :D

Traveller and Champions here. Fantasy games were eeevil in the '80s, so I never played 'em to avoid trouble with my parents. TOON rounded out the major systems I played.

Don't forget about GORE! It's still in print and viable. ;)

We currently support the following product lines:

Labyrinth Lord

Mutant Future

In print but just because it is PDF or POD. They give it away for free and will not build anything on it. Using it is the equivalent of making your own homebrew. The only MRQ derivative that is currently supported is OpenQuest.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Don’t use OpenQuest if you want to write a BRP alike supplement or game, its not BRP (even though it is influenced by that game) and you will be dissappointed at every turn, dissappointment that will shine through in your final product and (if you are that way motivated) sales. Have a chat with Charlie and co at Chaosium and I’m sure you’ll be able to sort something out :)

Although I totally agree with Newt about asking Chaosium first - it is always an option - the point is that OpenQuest is open, as any OGL product should be, and so people are perfectly allowed to use it as a BRP surrogate. I do not recommend it, either - if you like BRP try the real thing - but this is an option, and I think someone will do this regardless of newt's (or my own) advice. It's the Open License, baby.

Although I totally agree with Newt about asking Chaosium first - it is always an option - the point is that OpenQuest is open, as any OGL product should be, and so people are perfectly allowed to use it as a BRP surrogate. I do not recommend it, either - if you like BRP try the real thing - but this is an option, and I think someone will do this regardless of newt's (or my own) advice. It's the Open License, baby.

We could do with an OGL clone of BRP then. "BasicQuest"? OpenQuest is still too MRQ-ish for my taste. (Sorry Newt)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

We could do with an OGL clone of BRP then. "BasicQuest"? OpenQuest is still too MRQ-ish for my taste. (Sorry Newt)

I do not feel that there is a real need for it. Basically, it would become a "garbage bin" for all ideas that cannot use a full BRP license. If I interpreted correctly what Newt said, he does not like the idea of OpenQuest becoming that bin.

If it's bad, don't publish it. If it's good, it can be turned into a full product.

D100-based indie publications have now two options only: BRP and OpenQuest. Unless you want to make your homebrew from the OGL or wait for D100Rules.

There seems to be a third one. Asked about the possibility to buy a Rune-

quest II license, Matt Sprange posted in return (on the State of the Mon-

goose discussion thread):

We will certainly entertain proposals.

... whatever that does or will mean.

(Charlie Chan)

If it's bad, don't publish it. If it's good, it can be turned into a full product.

Presumably, self-publishers usually think their baby is good. Many are trash. It's the buying/downloading public that decides, in the end...

Anyway, what good are licenses? Can't people publish what they like, so long as they don't infringe decency, copyright or trademarks? So long as you don't use Chaosium or Mongoose logos you're fine. Right?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Yep, you are right. MRQ is still available as a "commercial" third party license. I am not considering it, but this does not mean someone else could not go that route.

I think we are derailing this thread a bit. I will now open a new one, so that we can continue discussing "How to make BRP more popular here." This has been one of the most interesting (and civil) threads in a RPG forum I have ever seen, it would be a pity to flood it with unrelated legal comments.

Presumably, self-publishers usually think their baby is good. Many are trash. It's the buying/downloading public that decides, in the end...

Anyway, what good are licenses? Can't people publish what they like, so long as they don't infringe decency, copyright or trademarks? So long as you don't use Chaosium or Mongoose logos you're fine. Right?

I'll reply in the other thread.

I think we are derailing this thread a bit. I will now open a new one...

Well, I think it's still on-topic. But it just wouldn't be Chaosium's BRP... >:->

However, you are right about not wanting legal stuff clogging us up on this thread. Back to the kosher ideas...

Guest Vile Traveller

BRP needs a good marketing campaign, that's all. And then some new products to keep the punters on board. Not very likely though, given the way Chaosium operates.

Not that there's anything wrong with a game for gamers, by gamers. I've pretty much accepted BRP and Chaosium the way they are.

BRP needs a good marketing campaign, that's all.

Frankly I think it also needs [deserves] hard-cover books, a colour layout, nice art... Look at those French & German CoC books. You simply can't resist buying them :)

Frankly I think it also needs [deserves] hard-cover books, a colour layout, nice art... Look at those French & German CoC books. You simply can't resist buying them :)

I can, I don't speak French or German. Damn world travelers. :rolleyes:

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

I've been trying to help generate marketing campaign ideas, but not getting much support. :( I mean, if we can't get you d100 die-hards and experts excited about BRP, how will we attract newbies? ;)

If I get anymore excited about BRP, my wife is gonna leave me.:D

Seriously however, until Chaosium gets more product in the hobby/book stores, I cant see it happening. At the very least, begin marketing some of the monographs on places like RPGNow and Drive-through RPG. I couldn't tell you how many times I have been scanning through either of those sites and purchased something sight unseen just because It sounded interesting. I have yet to really hear a legitimate reason why this isn't happening. I mean, if it's because they want a bigger piece of the pie, why not make a bigger pie? They could take less, and make more.

What do I know, I just write things.

Rod

I've been trying to help generate marketing campaign ideas, but not getting much support. :( I mean, if we can't get you d100 die-hards and experts excited about BRP, how will we attract newbies? ;)

Patience! There's been a heck of a lot of interest hereabouts over the last few days. (I for one have certainly been spending too much time on this!)

If we can find out what's legal/moral (in that other thread) then maybe we can publish stuff (QuickStart-UltraLite, How to Use BRP Guides,...) - free stuff people can distribute.

If we can get the SharedWorld going again, we'd give BRP a setting, and hopefully adventures too - again freely distributable.

And maybe one of your slogans will take off...

"BRP: So old it's cool!" ;)

It's kind of difficult to get excited about a system that most of us have already owned for over two decades.

Sure BRP throws a few new twists and wrinkles on the underlying system, and turns it into a toolkit, but there are few surprises in the book for us "d100 die-hards" to get excited about.

Not that this is intended to be negative criticism about BRP or anything. It's what it was supposed to be, an attempt to put the various d100 game mechanics, variants, and options into a single package.

It's kind of like the wheel. No one gets excited about the wheel itself, but with how the wheel gets used to make other things. With BRP, there haven't been many applications that have used it for us to get excited about.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

It's kind of difficult to get excited about a system that most of us have already owned for over two decades.

Gah! Now it's Seneschal's frustration I can sympathize with!

Don't you remember what it was like in those dark days when there was no decent d100 system alive out there? Channel the energy you would have been using to fight that despair into enthusiasm now! This is the new Golden Age! (We just need to polish it a bit...)

Well, it is a bit of an unexciting "academic thought experiment" for me, be-

cause without a German version of BRP and the BRP material the chances to

recruit new gamers over here are very, very slim. There are now so many

good roleplaying games available in German that one which is only available in

English will remain a fringe thing, no matter how good the marketing.

(Charlie Chan)

Well, it is a bit of an unexciting "academic thought experiment" for me, be-

cause without a German version of BRP and the BRP material the chances to

recruit new gamers over here are very, very slim. There are now so many

good roleplaying games available in German that one which is only available in

English will remain a fringe thing, no matter how good the marketing.

Completely off topic I know ( so if Trif wants to move this post that's fine )

But what german RPG's are there ? and which do you feel are the best and why ?