How Could BRP Be More Popular...?

frogspawner

But what german RPG's are there ? and which do you feel are the best and why ?

Oops, that would be a long list with several dozen titles ... :(

In the Fantasy genre I would mention Arcane Codex for those who like a ga-

me that feels similar to D&D, and Midgard for something more gritty (and a

bit "math-heavy", unfortunately).

For Science Fiction my choice would be Lodland (underwater, very realistic)

or Perry Rhodan (far future space opera).

Since Dark Future / Post-Apocalyptic is currently the fashion, there is a lot

of choice for every taste. Frostzone is somewhat like the old Gamma World,

Heredium is rather more sinister.

These are just a few examples of genres and titles, there are lots more. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

• Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From BRP QuickStart, via Google Translator...

"Aktionen

Zeichen (PCs und NPCs) wirken auf ihre DEX Rang, so DEX jemand auf Rang 15 werden, bevor jemand weiter DEX 14 Rang. Wenn es mehrere Zeichen versuchen auf dem gleichen Rang DEX handeln, sind Angriffe durchgeführt in der Reihenfolge der Waffen-Typ. Angreifer bewaffnet mit Raketen Waffen (Bögen, Pistolen, usw.) werden in der Lage sein zu handeln, bevor die in der Hand-auf-Hand (Nahkampf) zu bekämpfen. Nach diesen gehen Zeichen mit langen Waffen ausgerüstet (Speere, Lanzen, etc.), dann diejenigen mit mittlerer Länge Waffen (Schwerter, Äxte, etc.) und schließlich solche mit kurzen Waffen (Dolche, usw.) oder die sind unbewaffnet. Wenn eine Waffe hat, mehr als einem Bereich aufgeführt sind, kann der Benutzer wählen, welche Bereich zu handeln. Paraden und Dodge auftreten, innerhalb der DEX gleichen Rang wie das Original anzugreifen."

Does that make sense to any German-speakers? (I must say, it didn't re-translate back to English well at all!)

Either way, you see what I'm suggesting here. Would anyone feel up to the task?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Does that make sense to any German-speakers?

Ah, well, you know ... it does not mention whether the car has a refrigera-

tor ... :D:D:D

But even with a translation that is better than gibberish, one would still need

a publisher and distribution channels.

This is not exactly easy over here, where there are several small publishers,

but not a single big one with enough resources to take a serious risk, and

where the experiences with translations have recently been quite bad - even

D&D 4 fizzled and was discontinued.

Sorry to say, but I do not see much of a success chance for a German trans-

lation.

(Charlie Chan)

Could PDF or POD bridge the gap? Something published electronically doesn't require overhead or storage, just a means of purchase (and a local print shop willing to print and bind it). Granted this is easier for something relatively short like Quick-Start Edition than a 400-page tome. Would electronic product in the local lingo help?

Gah! Now it's Seneschal's frustration I can sympathize with!

Don't you remember what it was like in those dark days when there was no decent d100 system alive out there? Channel the energy you would have been using to fight that despair into enthusiasm now! This is the new Golden Age! (We just need to polish it a bit...)

Yeah, I remember, pretty much just like it is now.

Don't you remember what it was like is the bright days when RQ was being supported? When Chaosium was releasing several quality products each year? That was a golden age.

A re-hash of a 30 year olfdrule set, with poor support isn't anything to excite me. It's not the new golden age, is more of the same Dark Age that we've been in. Even Stormbringer gets a new edition every so often before fading back into the woodwork.

I'll start thinking Golden Age when I actually see some BRP products on the shelf somewhere.

If anything the current state of this shows just how bad off Chaosium is. It's like going to a funeral and noting how well the deceased looked.

The system is no more alive now that it was 5 years ago. Probably over 95% of BRPs sales were to people who already owned one or more version of the core system. Look at the forum. The overwhelming majority here are those who were familiar with the system long before BRP was mentioned.

Do you think that's a good thing? I don't. When BRP starts selling others and begins drawing in some new players, then we'd have something to be excited about.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Sorry to say, but I do not see much of a success chance for a German translation.

Would electronic product in the local lingo help?

What if also available were crib-sheets of BRP versions of creatures/characters in adventures published for the locally-popular systems?

(Or maybe that's more a question for the 'legal' thread...)

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Would electronic product in the local lingo help?

Only if there were also supplements, adventures, a web site and all that in

the local language, otherwise it would probably not make much of a diffe-

rence.

(Charlie Chan)

But that's the whole point of this discussion. We're talking about how to draw new players and persuade the uninitiated that BRP is an enjoyable, viable system. We're exploring ways to produce new non-Call of Cthulhu, non-RuneQuest products that will appeal to a broader audience. Not to knock CoC or RQ at all, but a greater variety of quality options will encourage more players. If Chaosium is unable to publish and distribute those new products itself, maybe third-party publications like BRP Rome can fill the bill.

If Chaosium is unable to publish and distribute those new products itself, maybe third-party publications like BRP Rome can fill the bill.

On a certain level, they doubtless can. I know of a few people who bought

Rome after I told them about it, and also told them that they could easily

adapt it to the Call of Cthulhu system (which is well known over here).

Thinking of it, perhaps a slim BRP version could be sold as a Call of Cthulhu

supplement ... - but this is not what this thread is about.

(Charlie Chan)

The system is no more alive now that it was 5 years ago. Probably over 95% of BRPs sales were to people who already owned one or more version of the core system. Look at the forum. The overwhelming majority here are those who were familiar with the system long before BRP was mentioned.

Do you think that's a good thing? I don't. When BRP starts selling others and begins drawing in some new players, then we'd have something to be excited about.

Chaosium stated that the BRP-book sold surprisingly well when it was released. I don't know what they expected, but the sales gave them a pleasant surprise.

And it has gotten a lot of good press. So I think someone outside of the cult has picked it up as well.

But it is still not very beginner-friendly on it's own. This thread is good, and I really hope something concrete comes of it:thumb:

Chaosium stated that the BRP-book sold surprisingly well when it was released. I don't know what they expected, but the sales gave them a pleasant surprise.

And it has gotten a lot of good press. So I think someone outside of the cult has picked it up as well.

But it is still not very beginner-friendly on it's own. This thread is good, and I really hope something concrete comes of it:thumb:

I'm pleased that it sold well. I'm not pleased about how Chaosium has chose to support BRP. Monographs aren't going make the game more popular.

I agree that the BRP book isn't very beginner friendly. That's to be expected when it covers so much ground. It is a useful tool for a GM who wants to craft a campaign setting, but since most GMS use per-established settings and pre-written adventures, I doubt BRP will connect with beginners.

A 4-6 page or so intro would help (it will probably take a page or the character sheet, and another page or two for weapon, armor and resistance tables).

In some ways, the modular nature of the book and all the options makes it tougher to teach, as each GM will select different options to use. Indeed, some might consider some options to be standard and treat some of the new standard rules as options.

In some ways, the modular nature of the book and all the options makes it tougher to teach, as each GM will select different options to use. Indeed, some might consider some options to be standard and treat some of the new standard rules as options.

This is one of the reasons I like Classic Fantasy - it clearly states which BRP-options the mono was designed around. 3d6 still gives his buyers full freedom of choice, but also incorporates the options in play neatly into the concept.

Plus adding a boatload of new stuff, but still putting it neatly into play. Only thing lacking is a defined setting.

I'll give the same praise to Aces High, which is put together very well, melding options, new options and setting together.

I think this is the kind of "supplement blueprint" we're looking for.

Edited by kaddawang
brp,bpr.prb...burp!

I'm pleased that it sold well. I'm not pleased about how Chaosium has chose to support BRP. Monographs aren't going make the game more popular.

I agree that the BRP book isn't very beginner friendly. That's to be expected when it covers so much ground. It is a useful tool for a GM who wants to craft a campaign setting, but since most GMS use per-established settings and pre-written adventures, I doubt BRP will connect with beginners.

A 4-6 page or so intro would help (it will probably take a page or the character sheet, and another page or two for weapon, armor and resistance tables).

There is a free downloadable introductory quick play booklet.

Well, it is a bit of an unexciting "academic thought experiment" for me, because without a German version of BRP and the BRP material the chances torecruit new gamers over here are very, very slim.

Perhaps we could find ways and people who would like to translate OpenQuest or GORE. This is the easy option for some of us, as it is OGL.

Does Chaosium have any interest in translating BRP to other languages?

While I do prefer full supplements, I also quite like monographs. It might not be in the shop, but it builds the support for BRP, and of the CoC monographs several is made into full supplements later.

Yep, and without the monographs some very good material would probably

never have been published in a way that makes it available to the wider BRP

community.

(Charlie Chan)

Perhaps we could find ways and people who would like to translate OpenQuest or GORE. This is the easy option for some of us, as it is OGL.

Caveat: the OGL does not extend to other languages. Mongoose did not persecute translations of the RuneQuest SRD, but strictly speaking they are not legal. Which means that translations of SRD derivatives may or may not be legal, depending on the country where you want to distribute them.

This is the main reason why I am not interested in porting my RQ stuff to OpenQuest. I would not be able to translate the system to my own language, should I wish to do so, without Mongoose permission.

Does Chaosium have any interest in translating BRP to other languages?

I think that Charlie and Pegasus Spiele talked about German BRP briefly in Bacharach, but the idea was that they were more than happy with just Cthulhu. Well, "just" is not the right word given the quality of their supplements :lol:

BRP was translated into Italian 13 years ago. This might happen again, but not in 2010 if I am involved. I have already probed the ground on Italian forums, and there are lots of fans. There are many in France, too.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

BRP was translated into Italian 13 years ago. This might happen again, but not in 2010 if I am involved. I have already probed the ground on Italian forums, and there are lots of fans. There are many in France, too.

I suggest translations of the BRP Quick Start (surely a much less daunting prospect than translating the whole thing!). That and making it available for download from other sites than just Chaosium's (to avoid all that off-putting create-an-account-and-sign-in malarkey). All with permission, of course.

There is a free downloadable introductory quick play booklet.

Which requires someone to not only visit the Chaosium website but requires as well. That's a wonderful of ensuring that the game doesn't attract any new players.

Caveat: the OGL does not extend to other languages.

Where do you get that from? The law is the law regardless of language. If Mongoose gives permission to use something as open content, it is still open content in another language. Now national borders is something else again, but then Mongoose would have had to copyright BRP in a country before they would have the right to persecute anyone there.

It would be a bad business move on their part to prosecute someone for translating the SRD, anyway. Ultimately it increases their marketshare.

...and of the CoC monographs several is made into full supplements later.

SGL.

I just wanted to take this opportunity to note that Charlie has informed me as of yesterday, that in 2010 Classic Fantasy will be going into direct distribution, so it will be making it into game and hobby stores. He said they just have to get it a cover, more (better) internal art, and some additional editing.

I suggested the artists that did In Search of the Trollslayer, I think it would capture the feel of Classic Fantasy perfectly.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix
I no good spell

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I just wanted to take this opportunity to note that Charlie has informed me as of yesterday, that in 2010 Classic Fantasy will be going into direct distribution, so it will be making it into game and hobby stores. He said they just have to get it a cover, more (better) internal art, and some additional editing.

Rod

:)

That's good. THe more stuff that hits the stores, the better off BRP will be.

I suggested the artists that did In Search of the Trollslayer, I think it would capture the feel of Classic Fantasy perfectly.

Rod

Good for you ! Though it begs the question...does it still count as a monograph then ? Or put another way with the addition of new cover and artwork they've got a professional product, but they've only paid you knock down monograph prices. If you'd wrote it as a chaosium product from the start how much would they have paid you ?