So what became of Jomes Wulf?

Darius West

After the Telmori War we don't hear anything about the career of this promising Lunar Officer.  Did he die in the few intervening years before the Hero Wars?  Did he retire from military service?  Was he purged as one of Fazzur's Men?  I mean, he won a pretty decisive campaign against a non-trivial enemy that was responsible for the massacre of an entire Sartarite clan, then we know nothing more, apparently.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jomes Wulf was given Wulfsland as his own grant, while keeping his active command within the Provincial Army. After the Dragonrise, he and his soldiers fled to Alda-Chur. Along with Jorad Sideburn, Jomes now serves as one of Pharandros's senior field commanders.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

6 minutes ago, Darius West said:

After the Telmori War we don't hear anything about the career of this promising Lunar Officer.  Did he die in the few intervening years before the Hero Wars?  Did he retire from military service?  Was he purged as one of Fazzur's Men?  I mean, he won a pretty decisive campaign against a non-trivial enemy that was responsible for the massacre of an entire Sartarite clan, then we know nothing more, apparently.

According to the Eleven Lights, Jomes was commanding Boldhome during the Dragonrise.  He then fled the city and retreated to Wulfsland.  He didn't take part at Battle of Dangerford.  He may still be at Stonegate as the surrounding tribes find having a proven wolf-killer useful against the Telmori (the uprising of Jogar Sog was is still fresh).  

In my opinion, he's retreated to AldaChur to shore up the Lunar authorities there but hampered because the Far Placers see him as a Lunar oppressor and the Tarshites see him as an Aggarite bumpkin.

• Like 6

I wonder if Lunars have a problem with soldiers becoming disillusioned by what they see while serving the empire. That would be my default explanation for high profile leaders who suddenly decide to lead a quiet life. See it all the time in business - employees who are not quite p*ssed off enough to leave, but no longer feel a burning urge to perform.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:03 AM, Jeff said:

Jomes Wulf was given Wulfsland as his own grant, while keeping his active command within the Provincial Army. After the Dragonrise, he and his soldiers fled to Alda-Chur. Along with Jorad Sideburn, Jomes now serves as one of Pharandros's senior field commanders.

Jomes fights at Dangerford, Battle of Queens, and, if he survives that, at the Battle of Heroes. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, EricW said:

That would be my default explanation for high profile leaders who suddenly decide to lead a quiet life.

My default explanation is :

now I have done what I had to, I plunder enough to buy everything I want, I get enough glory killing these :20-power-disorder::20-element-air::20-power-disorder: and I m tired to live among soldiers in barbarian countries. It's time to go back in a civilized area :20-element-fire::20-power-harmony:, where I can rest and be part of the "jet set" 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/11/2021 at 5:03 AM, Jeff said:

What happens to Wulfsland when he flees Sartar? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil O'Connor said:

What happens to Wulfsland when he flees Sartar?

Well, the Telmori are there, and no longer have to fear Jomes, so likely take to raiding the herds and flocks of surrounding clans rather heavily.

There will be a few of the old Maboder clan around who now want to reclaim the lands for their own (but with what resources?).

The Cinsina, Culbrea, and Torkani may all want to take control of some or all of the land, if they can only find a way to drive out the Telmori.

And these squabbles/struggles will likely continue until a strong Prince of Sartar can find a way to resolve it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Well, the Telmori are there, and no longer have to fear Jomes, so likely take to raiding the herds and flocks of surrounding clans rather heavily.

There will be a few of the old Maboder clan around who now want to reclaim the lands for their own (but with what resources?).

The Cinsina, Culbrea, and Torkani may all want to take control of some or all of the land, if they can only find a way to drive out the Telmori.

And these squabbles/struggles will likely continue until a strong Prince of Sartar can find a way to resolve it.

Yeah that all makes sense, but I assumed that when Ivartha dies at the Battle of the Queens so does the dream of a Maboder revival, as she was one of the more powerful people supporting the Daughters of Maboder. Ian Cooper recently opined on the Gloranthan Godlearners Podcast that he believes that Argrath makes a deal with the Cincina to wipe out the Telmori in exchange for their support in performing the Stealing The Giant's Cows heroquest in 1627, which he wants to perform in order to fulfill the prophecy of hunting Aurochs in Dragon Pass once again. I think this works well with the other elements.
       How does this affect the Princedom of Argrath? Sartar made peace with the Telmori, one of his kingship tests. Argrath will drive them out of Sartar, this fits the pattern of Argrath finding a "New Way" in order to defeat the Red Emperor. Yet another terrible price he has to pay on his path to defeating his enemies. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Phil O'Connor said:

but I assumed that when Ivartha dies at the Battle of the Queens so does the dream of a Maboder revival, as she was one of the more powerful people supporting the Daughters of Maboder

Well, those with a dream of restoring the Maboder would need to find a new ally - maybe they'll petition Argrath, or the next Cinsina leader, or whoever else they can get to support them. 

13 minutes ago, Phil O'Connor said:

Ian Cooper recently opined on the Gloranthan Godlearners Podcast that he believes that Argrath makes a deal with the Cincina to wipe out the Telmori in exchange for their support in performing the Stealing The Giant's Cows heroquest

Yes, that seems a likely path to me.

4 hours ago, Phil O'Connor said:

Ian Cooper … believes that Argrath makes a deal with the Cincina to wipe out the Telmori …
Yet another terrible price he has to pay on his path to defeating his enemies.

I heard that, too. If I am a sociopath and I burn your house down, I may be doing a terrible thing — and it is certainly rough on you — but am I paying a terrible price? That ship has already sailed, may as well be hanged for a sheep as a lamb, and other old clichés.

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 5:38 AM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

Why only Lunars?  Is Argrath's side without any blemishes?

Sartarites have known the bitter taste of defeat and occupation for a generation or more.  They know that if they lose, the next occupation will be worse.  Their liberty was hard won, and remains more personally and tangibly under imminent threat than that of the average Lunar citizen who pays their taxes, shuts up, loves Big Takanegi, and tries to addle their brain with illumination Newspeak.  Command "blemishes" are irrelevant to a people fighting for their freedom and survival.

Edited by Darius West

On 3/22/2024 at 9:06 PM, Bahntah said:

Fascinating - I’m seeing undertones of Mao in this Argrath.

Liking the idea that Argrath leans towards Maoist tendencies...

I wonder who plays the role of Chiang Kai-shek and Soong Mei-ling? Her sisters and did they dye their hair red? Are they Vigans or Hell Sisters?

Who is Stillwell?

20080217-soong_sisters%20film.jpg

• Like 1