Cult of Sartar

Ironwall

so I'm looking at the calendar in the game master screen pack and i notice Sartar has a high holy day. i take it this is for the founder of the kingdom and not some independence day style holiday. if I'm right will he be appearing in the gods book?

Edited by Ironwall

Maybe a bit of both?  This is Day 88, AKA Founder's Day.  It gets mentioned a couple of times in King of Sartar, for example when Argrath (re)relights the Flame of Sartar in 1627.  So definitely an auspicious day of (let's say) you want to be acclaimed Prince, write "Hail Harshax!" letters, etc.

Sartar wasn't on the list of 100 G&GoG cults, unless that's changed since.  Maybe more likely to be treated of in some form in the Sartar book/box?

4 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Jeff said that he's an Orlanth Rex subcult.

As the original King of Sartar, that makes sense. But he also has a cult of his own.

For example, a tribal chief might be an initiate of Orlanth Rex but not be descended from Sartar, so could not join the Sartar cult.

Another could be descended from Sartar, so could join the Sartar cult, but not be a chieftain so not a member of Orlanth Rex.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

If I recall Jeff's posts correctly, city cults such as Pavis did not make the cut for the gods of Glorantha book.  They will appear in the applicable local books. Sartar is bigger than a city but still a locality and as Soltakss indicates, has limited eligibility.     Therefore I would expect the cult of Sartar to be explained in the Sartar book.  Which is coming soon as we are told.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
Spelling

It is worth pointing out that Sartar himself was likely a Larnsting mystic, dedicated to the magical principle of Change and movement.  He never killed anyone, but he did turn them into "unflattering" things.  Larnstings generally keep to themselves, but periodically one may mobilize to counter a particular problem, but historically they have protected the Heortlings by interfering with their politics when things were getting out of hand, and often at the turning of an age.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

As the original King of Sartar, that makes sense. But he also has a cult of his own.

For example, a tribal chief might be an initiate of Orlanth Rex but not be descended from Sartar, so could not join the Sartar cult.

Another could be descended from Sartar, so could join the Sartar cult, but not be a chieftain so not a member of Orlanth Rex.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:45 AM, Jeff said:

The cult of Sartar is the Cult of Orlanth Rex in Sartar. It is how the Sartarites approach Orlanth Rex at the level above the tribal.

9 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

If I recall Jeff's posts correctly, city cults such as Pavis did not make the cut for the gods of Glorantha book.  They will appear in the applicable local books. Sartar js bigger than a city but still a locality and as Soltakss indicates, has limited eligibility.     Therefore I would expect the cult of Sartar to be explained in the Sartar book.  Which is coming soon as we are told.

Very few people are going to worship Satire as their primary god, all of the permanent residents of a city are going to worship the City God as, if not their primary god, a big secondary. 

People may celebrate Satire once a year, but that that's about it. 

Edited by Orlanthatemyhamster

12 hours ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Very few people are going to worship Satire as their primary god, all of the permanent residents of a city are going to worship the City God as, if not their primary god, a big secondary. 

People may celebrate Satire once a year, but that that's about it. 

I think this will often depend on how conflated "the city god" and "the local religion" are -- and just how local the local religion is.  For the Theyalans, I think the pattern we see in Sartar will be a common or even usual one:  there's a clan-tribe-ring-kingdom hierarchy, so it's all Your POW Points At Work from the same social and religious structure.  The city god will be a hero subcult of Orlanth (or of Ernalda) corresponding to the founder.  Pavis is a somewhat similar but different case of a city founder cult, but one that's much more divergent and much more regionalised as a religious practice.  So there's a bunch of people that primarily worship Pavis, but very few that primarily worship Sven or Wilm.  But there's prominent shrines to Wilm and to Sartar in the local temple, so the locals would be puzzled (and per Orlanthi tradition, likely angry and violent) if you were to suggest they were slackers in their piety to the founders.

18 hours ago, Alex said:

I think this will often depend on how conflated "the city god" and "the local religion" are -- and just how local the local religion is.  For the Theyalans, I think the pattern we see in Sartar will be a common or even usual one:  there's a clan-tribe-ring-kingdom hierarchy, so it's all Your POW Points At Work from the same social and religious structure.  The city god will be a hero subcult of Orlanth (or of Ernalda) corresponding to the founder.  Pavis is a somewhat similar but different case of a city founder cult, but one that's much more divergent and much more regionalised as a religious practice.  So there's a bunch of people that primarily worship Pavis, but very few that primarily worship Sven or Wilm.  But there's prominent shrines to Wilm and to Sartar in the local temple, so the locals would be puzzled (and per Orlanthi tradition, likely angry and violent) if you were to suggest they were slackers in their piety to the founders.

If people don't worship the founders enough then the city falls apart, this is obviously less important in a town and less so in a village. 

God knows how Noshit/Notyet works then, if founders are merely subcult in stature? 

27 minutes ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

Notyet works then, if founders are merely subcult in stature?

[hard 'ch' as in Notch-et, or Not-chet] 🙂

It's Ernalda's city, so all fall within her domain there whether sisters, daughters, husband-protectors, or other associates, and everyone honors Ernalda - her greatest temple in all Glorantha is there! 

32 minutes ago, Orlanthatemyhamster said:

If people don't worship the founders enough then the city falls apart

It really depends on the role of the founder in the city.  They may be the wyter of the city, in which case their magics may empower Mayor or Council or whoever can wield the wyter most directly.  They may provide magic more broadly while other temples are the leading power of the city (e.g. Raibanth is clearly the center of the Yelm cult, and greatest power is wielded by the Emperor or his designates, though Raiba is the city's special deity).

• Helpful 1