Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

24 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

I'm a bit worried about what kind of curry places you frequent!!

it was about 30 years ago, a late night around 12.30, stumbled into a place that was open in desperate need of a spice fix.

In hindsight I should have been suspicious when I asked the waiter for a clean tablecloth and he simply shook it onto the floor and put it back on the table upside down. The meat seemed....grey, but i was wasted and hungry

two days later I recovered. the place was shut down by the local council on health and safety grounds about 3 months later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Its a bit like my favourite 'restaurant'... only advisable to go in and eat from it after 6 pints of Guinness ... and never do it when sober.. 

Thankfully it still exists and only is a brief stagger from the pub(s)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Nozbat said:

Its a bit like my favourite 'restaurant'... only advisable to go in and eat from it after 6 pints of Guinness ... and never do it when sober.. 

Thankfully it still exists and only is a brief stagger from the pub(s)

I should point out that the best curry house I ever went into was only about 25 minutes up the road. Outsanding service, outsanding food . had the best meal of my life there......they're still going to this day. We do seem to have drifted off topic though 😁

https://www.kutisnoorani.co.uk/eat/#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1582191415798_18371

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Agentorange said:

I should point out that the best curry house I ever went into was only about 25 minutes up the road. Oustanding service, oustanding food . had the best meal of my life there......they're still going to this day. We do seem to have drifted off topic though 😁

https://www.kutisnoorani.co.uk/eat/#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1582191415798_18371

This has now made me hungry... and sadly I'm in Germany at present and Indian food is not so plentiful 

On another note, I think Ian needs to put an 'Indian' restaurant in New Pavis. I'm sure someone can tell us which culture would provide 'indian' type food

IMG_3378.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nozbat said:

I'm sure someone can tell us which culture would provide 'indian' type food

Teshnos and Melib. And it's been rapidly imported and adopted into Nochet and Esrolia. Quite likely has come up the River of Cradles to Pavis too.

• Like 3

Thank you @jajagappa

Anuraag Pande, formerly one of the Three Spice Masters of Lavika, was exiled by Hisgoranstor after he had the temerity to add two extra spices to the traditional combination of seven. Such heresy almost cost him his life and he only escaped with the help of his good friend, Lakshmana Ojha, a trading ship captain, who stowed Pande and his family in hollowed out giant gourdes.

Pande landed in the cosmopolitan city of Nochet and with the help Ojha set up the first Melibian Brasserie where he sold a combination of cheap food for workers on their way to work and a more extensive menu for the discerning palette as a sit down restaurant.

Pande's third child, Chhotimai Pande, felt constrained by her family and wanted to see more of the world. She persuaded her father to give her a portion of her future inheritance and went north arriving in New Pavis were she began her own Brassiere. However, the cost of importing and transporting spices may prove prohibitive. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nozbat said:

Thank you @jajagappa

Pande's third child, Chhotimai Pande, felt constrained by her family and wanted to see more of the world. She persuaded her father to give her a portion of her future inheritance and went north arriving in New Pavis were she began her own Brassiere. However, the cost of importing and transporting spices may prove prohibitive. Only time will tell.

Sometimes one has to pay for quality - When I'm next in New Pavis I  shall frequent Chhotimais brasserie. is there a tasting menu or is it a la carte ?

Just to break expectations, according to the Guide, Seshnela is a densely populated rice growing area, who uses a lot of spices and meat, fish and dairy. Pretty sure the Nolos exiles use even more spices than your typical seshnegi. Tea growing and dairy surely brings also a chai drinking culture. 

Fonrit is also a good alternative, with population, spices and rice, as well as plenty of reasons to emigrate out to find a better life.

Teshnos was isolated for centuries and the population does not seem much given to leave, except possibly some adventurous people from Melib.

To have a foreign food presence it helps if there is a sizeable population moving out of the region, both to have an initial customer base to offer traditional food, and enough cooks to have some adapting to the pañate of the new area.

The exception would be big metropolis, where something new and exotic may work for novelty alone.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JRE said:

Seshnela is a densely populated rice growing area, who uses a lot of spices and meat, fish and dairy. Pretty sure the Nolos exiles use even more spices than your typical seshnegi. Tea growing and dairy surely brings also a chai drinking culture. 

Interesting.. and I would have considered it in making up the little vignette, but decided that the reason for Panke fleeing from Lavika was because a religious heresy.

In my Glorantha, I decided that Calyz had sacred numbers, 3 (the number of the Spice Masters) and 7 (the number of permitted spices). To add more to either, as the heretical Senschalans do or even the profane Fonritians, would have been to undo centuries of sacred HeroQuesting to Calyz's kitchen. 

As a revisionist, Panke might have argued for using different quantities of spices using multiples of 3 and 7, but he didn't and just added two more "because he liked the taste" and thus fell foul of the three Calyz Inquisitors and seven Spice Cross-examiners. It thus became an ecumenical question and one Panke was not going to win. He had to flee with his family before the Inquisitors exacted revenge.

15 hours ago, JRE said:

To have a foreign food presence it helps if there is a sizeable population moving out of the region, both to have an initial customer base to offer traditional food, and enough cooks to have some adapting to the pañate of the new area.

This would have helped Panke in setting up his business and I fear that his business model is flawed and therefore doomed to bankruptcy. That is unless he can persuade his clientele that it is the latest must have food.

On 6/11/2023 at 9:06 PM, Agentorange said:

When I'm next in New Pavis I  shall frequent Chhotimais brasserie. is there a tasting menu or is it a la carte ?

I think to start off, Chhotimais will have a tasting menu. That way she has more control over the kitchen and a reduced menu while still being able to experiment with local and seasonal ingredients. 

I shall have to consider a suitable menu or will ask others for possible ideas

• Like 2

On 6/11/2023 at 2:54 AM, Ian A. Thomson said:

Taking a break from Vol. 03 (which is going very well) to work on the Rough Guide to Pavis City, which will be Vol 05 or 06 most likely

WalktapusDelicacy.png

Excellent stuff.

Now, I have to include humane Dorastor reservations and a representative from Trowters Trading Company. Do they have a yellow boat with three oars? That has to be a duck, of course.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

When my campaign was playing in Pavis circa 1626 I had Moonlighters taken over by an Argan Argar troll priest who came with Argrath from Esrolia.  He turned it into a nightclub by the name of the Blind Lamp Club.  Esrolian cuisine for the human palate, enthusiastic but not especially skilled trollkin gogo dancers, and the Voralan bartender stocks some wild mushroom brews.

My players saw the great troll bouncer explode a man's torso with a swing of his club in a streetfight, too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Excellent stuff.

Now, I have to include humane Dorastor reservations and a representative from Trowters Trading Company.

Awesome

Spoiler

Although the claim to be harvesting the tentacles on humane reservations may be a distortion of the truth, and by 'distortion of the truth' I mean 'utter bare-faced lie'. IE a few overcrowded pens where the walktapi suffer horribly before being dissected with halberds

Do they have a yellow boat with three oars?

Don't be ridiculous :)

Although they do have a large yellow wagon of peculiar design that they found in a Jrusteli ruin

That has to be a duck, of course.

Yes!!!!

A very old duck they call Uncle Albeak, and although he appears to be someone they are just looking after with surprising compassion (or maybe they enjoy his company or have some kind of obligation) he is of course the secret mastermind behind their business

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 2

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

On 6/11/2023 at 11:07 PM, Nozbat said:

This has now made me hungry... and sadly I'm in Germany at present and Indian food is not so plentiful 

On another note, I think Ian needs to put an 'Indian' restaurant in New Pavis. I'm sure someone can tell us which culture would provide 'indian' type food

As mentioned, I am currently editing Pavis City Rough Guide, and 20 years ago I snuck Indian Restaurants in there

Anyone who owns it, check out p21

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

On 6/12/2023 at 3:34 AM, Nozbat said:

Thank you @jajagappa

Anuraag Pande, formerly one of the Three Spice Masters of Lavika, was exiled by Hisgoranstor after he had the temerity to add two extra spices to the traditional combination of seven. Such heresy almost cost him his life and he only escaped with the help of his good friend, Lakshmana Ojha, a trading ship captain, who stowed Pande and his family in hollowed out giant gourdes.

Pande landed in the cosmopolitan city of Nochet and with the help Ojha set up the first Melibian Brasserie where he sold a combination of cheap food for workers on their way to work and a more extensive menu for the discerning palette as a sit down restaurant.

Would you consider writing up a few more paras about who likes the food and attends, what the vibe is like, and what spice alternatives she can find in New Pavis or import from Sun County?

If so then I will slide it in to Vol. 04 very easily :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Would you consider writing up a few more paras about who likes the food and attends, what the vibe is like, and what spice alternatives she can find in New Pavis or import from Sun County?

If so then I will slide it in to Vol. 04 very easily 🙂

Happy to do that.. will post it later .. anyone know where I can get information on local Pavis food types and spices? And then I can decide what needs to be imported?

45 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

anyone know where I can get information on local Pavis food types and spices

The Aldryami in the garden will have access to many herbs and spices not easily found locally, though contacting about such may prove interesting.  An adventure seed perhaps?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nozbat said:

Happy to do that.. will post it later .. anyone know where I can get information on local Pavis food types and spices? And then I can decide what needs to be imported?

Pavis Box and GTA are the only meaningful sources, with W&E providing a more general overview.

Old Pavisite definitions of food will be different from those of most New Pavisites, dating back to the troll occupation. Their ideas of vertical agriculture might still be in place, with possibly quite (un)savory preservation methods thad make garum a flavorless experience. Lunar experimental cuisine might have loved those ingredients.

Oasis Folk produce (similar to elsewhere in Praxian oases) may have been on the upturn since the Dragonewts Dream event, unless the trolls copied the ways of the beast riders and had whichever Oasisi Folk producers in the Rubble continue to procure food for their overlords.

Troll insects may figure in this kind of cuisine, whether as soft larva meat or out of the carapace, like six-legged "lobster".

Agricultural produce like in Sartar will result from most of Pavis County, probably with less reliance on herds as keeping those in nomad territory can be tricky. There is a possibility for a greater proportion of legumes out there in the county.

There is a possibility that our favorite villain Halcyon var Enkorth enforced maize crops during his tenure, with a steady flow of rebels to provide ample blood sacrifices. If so, that practice may have been continued by the farmers at least until the captured officials previously overseeing that would have been used up.

(There might also have been a joint venture with some faction of the Rubble trolls, sending the worst of their food trollkin to bleed out for the crops before getting them returned butchered, along with some maize produce. This might be ongoing.)

Praxian herd beast meat and possibly dairy covers a significant portion of the Pavis diet.

River (and bog) produce will be important, too. Besides actual fish and other creepy-crawlies from the mud (amphibians, snails, crawfish, worms, insect larvae), there a vast array of water plants that are edible and quite likely part of the River Folk regular diet. Reed rhizomes would be a starch component.

Mild or well-diluted venoms might take the role of hot spices.

The Garden appears to be quite isolationist, but might provide certain types of bark or rhizomes for spices. Cumarine-rich cinnamon-like bark, for instance. Strange pseudocereals are a possibility, too.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

Because they are hiding aloo from the dreaded Retcon Police. So if anyone asks, tell them thay are just elephant foot yams.

Possibly the sweet variety rather than the highland variety. (The only potential highland in all of Glorantha - other than Inner Dorastor, the part hidden from the AAA map - would be the result of the Somelz project. And forests tend to be shadowy rather than sun-filled.)

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

2 hours ago, Garry said:

The Aldryami in the garden will have access to many herbs and spices not easily found locally, though contacting about such may prove interesting.  An adventure seed perhaps?

Troll Market for insect and fungus derivative spices indeed stands out as a source

From my research so far..

New Pavis and Pavis County can provide

Grains: mainly Barley, possibly blood-induced Maize. Legumes: Beans? Not sure what types are grown. I can't find any references other than a mercenary contract which stipulates 3kg beans weekly. Root vegetables ?

Zola Fel river: fish, eels, water plants

The Old city provides: Possible Aldryami herbs and spices (traded through Manside?), Manside could provide specialities grown in underground caverns, Troll Markets may provide interesting insects and spices 

Prax provides herd beast meat and diary products

Sun County: provides Hazia and I'm guessing other things but I don't have access to Sun County PDFs now

Oasis's and Wastelnads: possibly exotic and unique spices and flavourings and possibly unique plants

Trade caravans: exotic spices, rice, from the southlands. Rice from Lunarlands

If anyone can add to this or give any other information I'd be grateful 

1 hour ago, Nozbat said:

The Old city provides: Possible Aldryami herbs and spices (traded through Manside?), Manside could provide specialities grown in underground caverns, Troll Markets may provide interesting insects and spices 

Old City might be able to trade some Voralan goods, if any black elves have successfully colonized the tunnels and subsurface ruins.  Maybe through the aldryami or uz, depending on which group the Voralans are on best terms with, but I could see Old City humans developing a relationship with Mee Vorala, especially during the troll supremacy.

• Like 2