Pavis & Big Rubble Companion: The Directors' Cut Relaunch

Ian A. Thomson

23 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Argrath of Pavis

Enostar Maniskisson, also called Bad Dream Enostar is what I have in my notes from king of sartar (for reasons). Do a search in there for that and I think you will find the details of the plague (not too many) and how it was cured at the pairing stones. Don't have access to the book atm.

EDIT: sorry, this is probably already solved, didn't see it was older. Dunno how to delete a post.

Edited by Malin

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

3 minutes ago, Malin said:

Enostar Maniskisson,

Thanks for that. No it wasn't solved. And it makes sense why I can't find the references, as I no longer have a copy of King of Sartar. Are you willing to pass on the information in there?

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

"Argrath of Pavis" as has been noted is probably someone who should be set up in advance. He seems like something of a mix between a freedom fighter and an opportunistic gangster, but hey... Argrath.

p. 151-153 in the second edition of KoS.

I like the realistic feel of the Argrath of Pavis story, where there's no army "liberating" Pavis, just a bunch of nomads that need to be convinced not to murder everyone and destroy the city, and it all but falls into Argrath's lap. It's some kind of "minimalistic" Pavic Argrath interpretation where he has nothing to do with the Whitebull. If interpreted according to current canon, he's more like just some dude who did an important parting in helping the nomad army from within.

GS: '“Argrath of Pavis” is interesting, and is one of the articles most critical to understanding who Argrath really is, as shown in my “Conclusions.”'

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Are you willing to pass on the information in there?

One day a new sickness came to the city. Argrath was one of those that fell ill. The Pavis priests said it was something the Lunar Miners had uncovered. People became weak, disoriented and lapsed into unconsciousness. Only Orlanth could heal them, which he did in great ceremonies at the pairing stones north of the city.

No further details about the plague. Argrath was the daughter of Brenna, who was the daughter of Verlain, the son of Dorastor and a slave woman.

Anything else you want? King of Sartar is on sale in the store now cheap...

The organization "The New Teeth" which he started might be worth looking into too...

(yes, I am running Argrath of Pavis in my campaign back before he got that name and was still Enostar...)

Edited by Malin
  • Thanks 1

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

Just now, Malin said:

Anything else you want? King of Sartar is on sale in the store now cheap...

No, that's all great thanks. Just what I needed! :)

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

Thanks people. This is all fantastic. Really helping flesh out the article.

Now that the three main background books are done, we're starting on the campaign arc proper in Vol. 04 and it just feels necessary to provide a more detailed 'future history' backdrop

• Like 1

So this happens just before the conquest of Pavis:

KoS: "Argrath went back to Prax, where the White Bull greeted him as a Hero. The imperial
sorcerers had created invisible red ropes which had lassoed the leading beasts of all the
nomads in the area, and were slowly hauling them into the city. Even the Blue Llama Folk 
who had never known saddle or rope, were transfixed."

1. Invisible red ropes? How does that even work? 😉

2. I honestly have no idea whether to take this literally (it would be quite a sight!) or as a metaphor.

3. It's absolutely fascinating that the Blue Llama tribe doesn't use saddles, or even ropes.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Malin said:

The Pavis priests said it was something the Lunar Miners had uncovered. People became weak, disoriented and lapsed into unconsciousness. Only Orlanth could heal them

Presumably, this is a callback to the Nysalor missionaries of the Gbaji wars.

“This plague has nothing to do with us — no! no! no! — but only our god, the Big O, can cure you; would you like a copy of our magazine?”

• Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

2 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

Presumably, this is a callback to the Nysalor missionaries of the Gbaji wars.

That thought struck me too... though if not, it's probably some sort of air/miasma related disease that Orlanth would have an edge on.

13 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

1. Invisible red ropes? How does that even work? 😉

I didn't even think about that 🤡. However, it also sounds a lot like how a certain chaos creature (the exact name escapes me) eats by forcing their prey to run towards them until they throw themselves in it's mouth... the thought that Lunars could weaponize that is scary.

• Like 2

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

14 minutes ago, Malin said:

it's probably some sort of air/miasma related disease that Orlanth would have an edge on

… in the sense of being best placed to create. 😉

Spoiler

Meanwhile, the local Gorakiki and Mallia experts are saying:

No, no, no: malaria = bad air is pseudoscience.
     — What? Oh, it means fraudulent alchemy. OK? —
     Let me explain germs and vectors.
     This time, it wasn’t us.
     We’d claim the win if we could, believe me.
     This time it really was bad :20-element-air:, not a disease, at all.
     And who is the baddest :20-element-air: on the whole damned block?

Edited by mfbrandi
excess whitespace
  • Like 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

It's probably best not to dwell too much on the return of Sauron to Barad-Dur, because obviously we can't do anything about it when the realms of Men are overrun by the coming Age of the Orc regardless.

32 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

It's probably best not to dwell too much on the HeroWars flood though, as it can feel like changing the stakes if all this will be flooded in thirty years regardless.

As I said in that other thread about the Great Flood thirty years hence, [David Scott's map, showing widespread flooding across all of Prax and Kethaela etc] only shows the extent of what the inundation would be like without any magical/divine/heroquesting/technological interventions, which might take place in various locations with varying degrees of success. I already have an idea what the Sun Domers of Prax might do to meet the peril. And remember, in the Cave of Serpents at Sacred Ezel the Enervi Sybil gave a prophesy, that one day "the dykes of Esrolia will save the Holy Country".

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, Ian A. Thomson said:

Some kind of flood after the Windstop, and some manner of Plague in Pavis County

Are these part of official histories? I seem to recall Argrath of Pavis (I forget his other name) found out how to stop the plague, but can't think where the sources for these things were

The Windstop caused a Great Winter.  Upriver, the Zola Fel was blocked by ice.
When the thaw happened, the ice-dam broke, and massive flood-waters poured downstream.
See here:
https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/7595-pavis-county-prax-and-the-zola-fel-1622-1627/?do=findComment&comment=106112

In Glorantha's future-history, there's a trollish plan to send a glacier to block Magasta's whirlpool, which (depending on events in YGWV) may send the oceans far inland, in an even-worse flood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, g33k said:

In Glorantha's future-history, there's a trollish plan to send a glacier to block Magasta's whirlpool, which (depending on events in YGWV) may send the oceans far inland, in an even-worse flood.

This is David Scott's inundation map being referred to:

1831059219_3ThirdContour.thumb.png.d800d653b97d77dc264f246a8c0f6cc3.png.ab24988e026f2f6446117397fb8f8c7d.png

As noted, that's only what the extent of the inundation would be without the intercession of magical/divine/heroquesting/technological ways to impede the rising water.

nb the red circle David marked on the map is the separation between the Oslir river watershed and the Creek-stream-river watershed, and here he chose not to have the flood spill over at this point.

Edited by MOB
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, MOB said:

This is David Scott's inundation map being referred to:

As noted, that's only what the extent of the inundation would be without the intercession of magical/divine/heroquesting/technological ways to impede the rising water.

nb the red circle David marked on the map is the separation between the Oslir river watershed and the Creek-stream-river watershed, and here he chose not to have the flood spill over at this point.

And note there's an error on the map, as the Wastes aren't flooded at all. I've now updated the map in the original thread.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

On 9/26/2023 at 2:32 PM, Akhôrahil said:

Invisible red ropes? How does that even work?

Imagine...

Huge Lunar spirits (lunes) summoned to entrance the animals, appearing like giant tendrils hanging from the moon. The transfixed part is clearly a form of Befuddle (part of the Lune attack on animals, deliberately failing their POW vs POW roll), now imagine bigger. Lunes will appear nearly invisible glowing slightly red in daylight.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

UPDATED PDFS NOW ON THE JONSTOWN COMPENDIUM:

VOL. 01: PDF has been updated for the final time. It wasn't going to be replaced again, since it already had an update after the POD was produced. (Due to some errors being noticed literally a day or two after the POD was finalized.) However, since Dario created a new map of the Big Rubble for Vol. 02, we thought we'd put this in the Vol. 01 pdf as well! (So it has replaced the original Players' & GM's versions, one nice and empty, and one with named primary locations.) Likewise the printable handout has been replaced with a blank version of the new map. (Big thanks to Simon Phipp for letting us use his version of the Big Rubble map prior to this point.)

VOL. 02: The aforementioned new map of the Big Rubble replaces the GM's Master Map in this book - the one with both named locations and a gazetteer of numbered locations too. We also added a new page at the end, with the cults of Buserian & Lokarnos. These would ideally have gone into Vol. 01 as they are a couple of standard cults for Suntown (as well as Sun County), but I only thought of doing them a week or so ago. There have also been a number of small alterations to information about places in the Big Rubble, made to match the Rubble section of Vol. 04 as it evolves. (AND, 'oh happy joy', all of this was done _before_ it went to POD layout!) :)

VOL. 03: The first round of minor error and formatting corrections.

• Like 2