Hurting undead

Soccercalle

I think that I have read somewhere that some undead only can be hurt by magical weapons. But I find no information about that when I read about vampires or Dancers of Darkness in the Bestiary. Have I misunderstood the rules?

i find information about the Telmori being immune to most weapon when in wolf-form.

20 minutes ago, Soccercalle said:

I think that I have read somewhere that some undead only can be hurt by magical weapons. But I find no information about that when I read about vampires or Dancers of Darkness in the Bestiary. Have I misunderstood the rules?

I cannot think of any undead that can only be hurt by magical weapons, except, maybe, Wraiths, as they can only be harmed by magic.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

Yes. But I dont consider Telmori to be undead.

I suppose only the Ankh Morpork PD does categorize werewolves as undead...

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 3/14/2022 at 6:52 PM, Godlearner said:

There is this blurb in Cults of Terror which implies that rune metal weapons are needed, but the rules do not seem to reflect that.

They were vampires in wolf form. I normally play they can only be harmed by magic or by runic weapons, just because vampires are cool and dangerous.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, Godlearner said:

Yes, but normal rules do not have an option for vampires to assume such a form either.

RQ2/Classic page 101

Vampires have all the traditional powers and problems imputed to them. The cross being the symbol of the Death Rune (see Chapter VII), one tied to that Rune can gain protection from a vampire. They are twice as strong as a man. Its hit locations can take twice the normal amount of damage a human can. Once that amount has been passed, the vampire will turn into smoke at the end of that melee round and regain its hit points at a rate of 1 per melee round. If the vampire takes damage to exceed its hit points, although all hit locations are intact, it will again turn into smoke. It can do so at whim. It can also change into a bat or wolf. The smoke can move at 1 movement unit a melee round

RQ:RiG Bestiary page 105

The new vampire lies in state for one full day and night before arising to its new role. It takes on a pallid white skin and lustrous hair. Its STR doubles immediately and its teeth lengthen. It may now turn into a bat, wolf, or smoke. It may Enthrall without loss of magic points anyone whose glance it catches and use all the other powers of the vampire form.

Once any hit location has been reduced to 0 or fewer hit points, the vampire will turn into smoke at the end of that melee round and regain its hit points at a rate of 1 per melee round. If the vampire takes damage to exceed its hit points, although all hit locations are intact, it will again turn into smoke. It can do so at whim. It can also change into a bat or wolf (see page 162). The smoke can move at 1 movement unit per melee round.

So... A wolf FORM is in the rules... But it is a natural wolf, NOT a lycanthrope/werewolf with whatever attributes/resistances the latter may possess.

Edited by Baron Wulfraed

On 3/16/2022 at 5:01 AM, Baron Wulfraed said:

So... A wolf FORM is in the rules... But it is a natural wolf, NOT a lycanthrope/werewolf with whatever attributes/resistances the latter may possess.

Not so natural, as it doesn't have any more POW than the vampire has in any other shape, and if a bat wing or wolf leg is reduced to zero (after the doubling of the location hit point), you will be dealing with the smoke form, too.

Basically, the doubling before turning to smoke involuntarily is the equivalent of reaching full negative hit points in a location, only without loss of function. Severing a limb in a single hit might still be feasible, with both main body and severed bit turning to smoke, I suppose, but the reforming body potentially unable to re-connect with the limb.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Each corporeal Undead has certain qualities and capabilities inherent to their form in addition to lacking POW. Vampires and Ghouls retain their intelligence and can therefore plan to gain Magic Points to power spells, whereas zombies and skeletons don't.

So I think Paulus' recollection in Cults of Terror probably recounted an encounter with a vampire that had Shield [Rune Magic] or Damage Resistance [RQ3 Sorcery] with a lot magic points stacked. Paulus was using a bronze scimitar [he's just an Initiate] and he didn't have a lot of Bladesharp to put on a blade.