Looking for pictures..

Mordante

• Like 1

--

The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "Absolutely phenomenal" - Austin C. "Seriously weird-ass shit" - John D. "A great piece of work" - Leon K. The Electrum best-selling The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Magisterial ... highly recommended" - Nick Brooke. "Lovingly detailed and scholarly, and fun to read" - John H. "Absolutely wonderful!" - Morgan C.

The Jonstown Compendium has some great cover illustrations, you could look at them for inspiration.

Here is the current Jonstown Compendium Wall, from my latest supplement.

image.png.a988c7ebc3e74661c07213e2a8937585.png

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

4 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

For the original hair and beard guide see: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/hair-and-beard-guide/

7 hours ago, Mordante said:

That would depict the world of Glorantha as I haven't as yet gotten a grasp on how people dress/building's etc.

Is there any particular civilizations that I should be using?

I hope you can help.

Go to "images.google.com" & enter this line:
  merlkir glorantha site:deviantart.com

This finds a bunch of content from the Guide to Glorantha, one of the core reference works for the world (DA user "merlkir" (Jan Pospisil) did a bunch of the art for the Guide).

You can add specific terms, such as ("Lunar" or "Orlanthi" or "Esrolia" or etc) to look at specific locations.

You can remove "merlkir," widening the search to any artists inspired by Glorantha; I don't know other "official/canonical" artists' DA names, however; you'll get other (non "canonical") interpretations intermixed with art that hews close to canon.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 3

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, Mordante said:

That would depict the world of Glorantha as I haven't as yet gotten a grasp on how people dress/building's etc.

Is there any particular civilizations that I should be using?

I hope you can help.

For the core areas (especially Dragon Pass) I think of Italy before Rome runs everything (so, when the Etruscans, Samnites, etc are still independent); the Eastern Mediterranean during the period from the late Bronze Age stretching through a good portion of the Hellenistic era; some Mesopotamian/Babylonian influences; ancient India; and the Persians. To be more specific, I tend to think of ...

1) Sartarites - Samnites/Etruscans/Ligurians - mainly tribal, but with urban communities in a frequently mountainous area. Lots of Greek-style influence and a small amount of Celtic. The Etruscan angle may be the best (IMHO), though I'm partial to Samnite imagery (aside from the really short tunics they seemed to love). Maybe sprinkle with ancient South Asian elements.

2) Lunars - a Persian-style empire - lots of different peoples, including Greek-types.

3) Tarsh - (I honestly don't have a great handle on Tarshites, but maybe they're like Thracians)

4) Grazelanders - Scythians (or other similar horse-riding groups, like the Saka or Roxolani), with a scattering of Plains Indian elements.

5) Esrolians - mix of Minoan Crete, Mycenaean Greece, and ..... pick an ancient cosmopolitan people.

6) Praxians - they're definitely more fantasy-based, with a smattering of real-world cultural influences (or costuming, at least) - e.g., bison-rider women have hairstyles that are reminiscent of traditional Hopi women; High Llama mustaches remind me of Hunnic or Cossack facial hair; etc.)

Those are my starting points. And there are a lot of images out there (esp. via Google image searches) that can give you the flavor of things. Of course, there are no 1 to 1 corollaries between any Gloranthan society and any real world culture. Take the historical inspiration and inject the fantastic elements of the setting and all the tattoos. Your Glorantha is yours, in the end.

5 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

5) Esrolians - mix of Minoan Crete, Mycenaean Greece, and ..... pick an ancient cosmopolitan people.

I tend to blend in Etruscan, vedic India, and bits of ancient Egypt into this mix.

6 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

2) Lunars - a Persian-style empire - lots of different peoples, including Greek-types.

I also draw on ancient Sumerian, Babylonian, and Assyrian folk.

7 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

1) Sartarites - Samnites/Etruscans/Ligurians

Both for Sartarites and other southern Lunar provinces (Tarsh, Holay), I add in Anatolian cultures, particularly Hittite, and Mycenean Greek/Trojan.

• Like 1

It's also probably good to know, as you're searching for Gloranthan imagery, that there have been several shifts over the decades in how some groups have been imagined, especially the Sartarites. For a time (but not at the beginning of RQ, I think), Sartarites were depicted and imagined as northern European-types (Celts, Germanic tribes, etc.) - in the King of Dragon Pass game, for instance. The Lunars were imagined by many to be almost Roman-like. That's definitely not the prevailing norm now, in either case.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

but not at the beginning of RQ

Had a very Mycenaean look IMO at the beginning. (RQ3, due in part to its attempt to be relevant to Alternate Europe as well as Glorantha, gave it a more Dark Ages/Viking cast that carried on into some later works.)

• Like 2

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

I tend to blend in Etruscan, vedic India, and bits of ancient Egypt into this mix.

I also draw on ancient Sumerian, Babylonian, and Assyrian folk.

Both for Sartarites and other southern Lunar provinces (Tarsh, Holay), I add in Anatolian cultures, particularly Hittite, and Mycenean Greek/Trojan.

For inland Orlanthi I've said before that I look to Armenian inspiration; ancient Armenia had such intense interactions with Persia and Greece but was such a different animal.

It's a good source for architecture, clothing, and the like (although ethnically, I assume an extremely varied population; add in the blue skin of the Helerings and you've got a wild array of human appearance)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Had a very Mycenaean look IMO at the beginning. (RQ3, due in part to its attempt to be relevant to Alternate Europe as well as Glorantha, gave it a more Dark Ages/Viking cast that carried on into some later works.)

I mean... let's start with "Rurik."
A famous Norse/Slav king is the namesake of the foundational RQ archetypal character.

Pretty sure some "viking" influences were there from the beginning.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

38 minutes ago, g33k said:

I mean... let's start with "Rurik."
A famous Norse/Slav king is the namesake of the foundational RQ archetypal character.

Pretty sure some "viking" influences were there from the beginning.

In that case, resonably modern France would have been an influence on Glorantha, too, if you look at some player character names in the Wooden Sword environment.

Viking influences are strong behind the RQ1/2 magic systems, as per the preview pages of https://www.chaosium.com/the-stafford-house-campaign-pdf/

Telling how it is excessive verbis

6 minutes ago, Joerg said:

In that case, resonably modern France would have been an influence on Glorantha, too, if you look at some player character names in the Wooden Sword environment.

I would expect PC names -- generated by various players, of various backgrounds -- to be of wildly-varying provenance.

A published character in the core rulebook -- the primary such character -- from anthro/myth/socio nerd Greg Stafford might presumably be a bit more considered, and one might reasonably even think it might be a meaningful nod to source material.

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 minutes ago, g33k said:

A published character in the core rulebook -- the primary such character -- from anthro/myth/socio nerd Greg Stafford might presumably be a bit more considered

Presumably Rurik came out of Steve Perrin's gaming group as they playtested? They certainly use the term "Rurik's Saga" though throughout which has a common Icelandic reference point. But we've also got character names in RQ2 such as Horus, Herkan, Ariella and a few others.

As was written there: "Glorantha is an ancient period and early Dark Ages world. It has far more to do with Mesopotamia, ancient China, Hyboria, and Lankhmar than it does with medieval Europe."

My comment though was towards the pictures, not the character names, which have more in common with Homeric or Classical Greece than anything else.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

For inland Orlanthi I've said before that I look to Armenian inspiration; ancient Armenia had such intense interactions with Persia and Greece but was such a different animal.

Yes, I like Armenian representations - they fit well with my Imther material.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrGoth said:

Check out

https://www.dailysabah.com/life/travel/hittite-village-in-central-turkey-takes-tourists-back-in-time-to-daily-life-in-hattusa

Recreation of a Hittite village in Turkey. Which Gloranthan culture do you think this is closest too?

Too much lumber for Sun County or Pavis County, and not really that good against frequent rain. Possibly northern Saird.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Too much lumber for Sun County or Pavis County, and not really that good against frequent rain. Possibly northern Saird.

Adobe (mud bricks) is dry climate architecture, needs a good roof and even with a roof sometimes needs repair because rooves leak.  (Modern RW adobe in the southwestern US is sometimes stabilized for high end construction.)

But I never have seen a comprehensive Gloranthan architectural guide.  It would be good to see the art direction.

1 hour ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

But I never have seen a comprehensive Gloranthan architectural guide.  It would be good to see the art direction.

Martin Helsdon has the kernel of an architectural guide for Esrolia and Dragon Pass on the Jonstown Compendium.

3 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

Adobe (mud bricks) is dry climate architecture, needs a good roof and even with a roof sometimes needs repair because rooves leak.  (Modern RW adobe in the southwestern US is sometimes stabilized for high end construction.)

I have quite a bit on that and have posted bits of it from time to time.

Stone is the preferred building material in Sartar, although adobe and timber are perhaps more commonly used in rural areas. Basalt, limestone, marble, and granite are all used, depending on local availability. 

VILLAGES

Though they differ in detail, most villages in Dragon Pass differ little from one another. Each village is a clan center and the headquarters of a local chief or important noble. The population of these villages is about 100–500 people each, most of whom farm, but many of whom also are crafters or the tribe’s mercenaries and retainers. Most village are surrounded by walls, of earth, fieldstone, or clay bricks. Buildings are usually of stone, mud brick (adobe), wood, or a combination of these materials. Temples in each village always include Ernalda and the local Husband Deity (usually Orlanth). All villages have a few shrines to other gods or spirits.

Each household is assigned land to farm by the clan and resides in a small complex of buildings surrounding a central courtyard called a “stead”. In much of Sartar, most buildings have at least a stone foundation. Walls can be made of stone, adobe, or wood, depending on what is available. Roofs are typically made of thatch, wood shake, or fired ceramic tile. The stead might be part of a larger village or be alone, surrounded by low walls made out of fieldstone or adobe. 

CITIES

Residential buildings in most Sartarite cities are generally of one or two stories, but they vary with the income of the residents. The poorest in the city may sleep eight people to a room, which they share with chickens, sheep, and pigs. The richest have several voluminous rooms per individual, with frescoes on the walls and carpets on the floor. Each household has its shrine to the household gods and ancestors, to whom an offering is made each morning. 

Buildings are made of three types of materials: adobe, stone, and wood. Outer walls are often whitewashed and decorated with geometric designs. The size of most buildings requires rafters to support the roof or second story. Roofs are tiled, shingled, or thatched. 

A middle-class freeman’s dwelling is a common building. This house measures from 10-20 meters on a side. If square, a shape popular among Earth worshipers, 15 meters to a side is common. Many of the larger buildings are holed, with light wells in their center. 

The bottom floor is divided into three rooms, one of which is often a shop, rented by a merchant. The central area is a general cooking and eating room, and it is here that many still have a fire pit. Such customs quickly disappear when a second story is added and fireplaces installed. There is also a part for the servant’s quarters. Furniture depends on taste and budget. The second story is usually divided into one large room, often used for entertaining and for more servant sleeping, as well as a number of smaller ones, usually private rooms for family members and close household. It is common to have a guest room.

There are two fireplaces, one in the downstairs cooking area and one in the upstairs entertainment area. Most houses have a ground floor room set aside as a privy. Food storage is kept far from this room.

Boldhome is an architectural marvel, so its buildings are described elsewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this picture is from one of the two scenario packs published so far by Chaosium:

The Starter Set is also full with pictures of NPCs and streets of Jonstown, which help visualize the typical Sartarite urban environment.

Cantagranizo.png

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

4 hours ago, g33k said:

OP @Mordante -- just wondering, how are we doing at meeting your request?
If you're still in want, can you fine-tune it a bit, or...?

I'm just enjoying the amount of replies my has/is receiving  and how helpful they are!

Let me take this opportunity to thank everyone who's taken the time and effort to reply!

Edited by Mordante
  • Helpful 1