MERRIE ENGLAND - The Age of Chivalry

Trifletraxor

merrie-england.jpgMerrie England is a setting that allows you to play in medieval England, but an England where Robin Hood roams the forests, where evil magicians cast spells on their enemies, where great dragons terrorise the land and where the fairy folk still rule Fair Elfland.

This book contains character generation for Norman, Saxon, Jewish, Welsh, Cornish, Scottish, Irish, Fairy, Saracen or Moor player characters and has descriptions and rules for magic use and religions, as well as medieval background, scenario hooks and historical figures.

Revel in the mysteries of Morris Dancing, crusade against the heathen, uncover the secrets of the Masons, oppose the unjust taxes of your absent king, or simply abuse your authority over peasants and vassals. Your imagination is the only limit!

By Simon Phipp. 200 pages. Published December 2011 by Alephtar Games.

Edited by Trifletraxor

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Sverre, I agree that we were really trying to compete with Duke Nukem Forever for "most delayed game of history" this time, but the book was actually published in December 2011, not 2012 :P

Ah, and this edition's subtitle is "the Age of Chivalry" not "the Age of Eleanor".

Edited by RosenMcStern

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

The cover is from Age of Eleanor. I don't know if the cover has changed for Age of Chivalry.

In a fist fight, Duke Nukem would probably win, but in a game of strategy then it's Eleanor hands down.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Argh, we messed it out. The cover is the same but the subtitle changed, but Dom did not update it on the product page after I told them. Oh well, I think everyone got the idea.

As for the comparison, I think Eleanor would win in anything implying strategy. On the other hand, I would really love a game with King Richard facing Saladdin with his Big Scary Sword and shouting "Come get some!" at him. Too bad that cigars and sunglasses had not been invented in the 12th century.

• 2 weeks later...

Christmas present for everyone: the new preview is now available on the Alephtar Games product page, along with the hi-resolution, full colour map of Merrie England drawn by Emperor Mi.... er, Colin Driver.

Keep an eye on DriveThru, I will start selling the PDF soon - probably on Monday.

Can't access it (I have tried Firefox, Chrome, and IE).

Try http://www.alephtargames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&catid=39%3Ahistorical&id=53%3Amerrie-england&Itemid=57 - the files are on the left hand side below the cover picture.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

I just received my copy. Yes, a fist full of typos, that's for sure. The actual production quality is reasonable however, its a nice looking book, but the overall content is excellent, which makes up for any flaws in my opinion. Sits nicely alongside 'Crusaders of the Amber Coast', and a heap of useful stuff for any GM wanting to run a middle ages setting. I've been wanting this a while, and I'm pretty happy it's in my hands now. Great work Simon, your love for the material really shows. I'll be using this book in various guises for many years to come, you have created a great BRP gaming resource here. Thumbs up from me!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I just received my copy. Yes, a fist full of typos, that's for sure. The actual production quality is reasonable however, its a nice looking book, but the overall content is excellent, which makes up for any flaws in my opinion. Sits nicely alongside 'Crusaders of the Amber Coast', and a heap of useful stuff for any GM wanting to run a middle ages setting. I've been wanting this a while, and I'm pretty happy it's in my hands now. Great work Simon, your love for the material really shows. I'll be using this book in various guises for many years to come, you have created a great BRP gaming resource here. Thumbs up from me!

Agreed on all account. I found it strange though that in the optional BRP rules used the Personality Traits are listed but there is no evidence in the book, neither during character creation nor in the NPCs write-ups, that they are actually used. I was a bit disappointed by this because using Personality Traits in a 'Age of Chivalry' supplement would have pleased the KAP lover in me ;) Another comment is about said NPC write-ups. The characteristics listed are generally too high in my opinion. Not really a criticism as it depends on play style (and my view might be tainted by GURPS attributes). All in all, a very good book well worth the cover price (so far this seems to be true for all Alephtar BRP supplements).

Speaking of other supplements and the complementarity with 'Crusaders of the Amber Coast', is there any plan to update/expand 'Stupor Mundi' to BRP? The RQ supplement doesn't seem to be available anymore neither in print nor in PDF.

Weird. It does work now. LOL... What is "Blols"? (guess you meant Blois)

Speaking of other supplements and the complementarity with 'Crusaders of the Amber Coast', is there any plan to update/expand 'Stupor Mundi' to BRP? The RQ supplement doesn't seem to be available anymore neither in print nor in PDF.

How much of the materials in a BRP Stupor Mundi would be a reprint of things already appeared in Merrie England? If the latter did not include exhaustive information about Islam and Orthodoxy, it could be worth redoing it, but at the moment it would just contain some extra information about Italy (and not much) and two scenarios. I am sure it would make money for a low effort, but our policy is to provide useful stuff to gamers, not "the Kyger Litor cult write-up every other supplement" for hardcore collectors. At this point it is better to focus on the Steppes and introduce some shamanism to Alternate Earth.

The new edition of Stupor Mundi was planned as the default setting for "Parpuzio game system", but the future of this game is currently unknown. It could become a book for Legend or RQ6 one day, maybe soon, but again it is too early to talk about this.

The core adventure, however, will reappear in BRP format. It is scheduled for a PDF and FGII release for February: check the other thread. It will let you test the Djinn rules that are in Merrie England.

How much of the materials in a BRP Stupor Mundi would be a reprint of things already appeared in Merrie England? If the latter did not include exhaustive information about Islam and Orthodoxy, it could be worth redoing it, but at the moment it would just contain some extra information about Italy (and not much) and two scenarios. I am sure it would make money for a low effort, but our policy is to provide useful stuff to gamers, not "the Kyger Litor cult write-up every other supplement" for hardcore collectors. At this point it is better to focus on the Steppes and introduce some shamanism to Alternate Earth.

The new edition of Stupor Mundi was planned as the default setting for "Parpuzio game system", but the future of this game is currently unknown. It could become a book for Legend or RQ6 one day, maybe soon, but again it is too early to talk about this.

The core adventure, however, will reappear in BRP format. It is scheduled for a PDF and FGII release for February: check the other thread. It will let you test the Djinn rules that are in Merrie England.

Fair enough. I wouldn't know how much repetition there woulb be between the two since I don't own SM.

Great work Simon, your love for the material really shows.

Funnily enough, my favourite periods/settings from earth history are, in order:

Homeric Greece

Dark Age Britain

Medieval England

Steppe Nomads

Now, I've done something on the Steppe Nomads for Mythic Russia and am helping Zit on BRP Steppes and have done Merrie England. Now, all I have to do are Dark Age Britain and Homeric Greece. These will probably be for Legend, though, rather than BRP.

Both :)

To my mind, you can't separate the two. Sure, you can have people wandering around the Mediterranean, interacting with the peoples of Greece, the Near East, Northern Africa and so on, but the myths and gods and goddesses add so much to the setting.

The Trojan War has a completely different level if you add in the Gods and their scheming and manipulation, for example, in fact it wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the Goddesses.

I know a lot of people like their Historical settings with little/no magic or religion, but a lot of the Greek stories involve religion or the deeds of gods and goddesses.

Well I think I read that Pete Nash may be doing a Mythic Greece for RQ6, but I'm not sure... either way if it's BRP, LEGEND, or RQ6 its got my dollar. A gritty realistic historical portrayal would be good, but a Mythic version with all the Greek Deities in their glory would be great as well, especially for doing those Homeric epics.

A grim Dark Ages Europe as opposed to Merrie England sounds interesting, but I suspect there would be alot of overlap. The Steppes Nomad project has sparked my interest - I never knew I wanted it before, but now it's in the works I gotta have it! The closest thing I have is a Gloranthan sourcebook on the Charn-Un for HQ, but a historic supplement for BRP (or any d100 system) would be the thing, especially with Shamanism rules.

Good times ahead...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

There is also a copy at http://www.rpg-resource.org.uk/index.php?article=6391&visual=4

If anyone else sees any reviews, good or bad, then please post the links.

• 2 weeks later...