Next God and Goddesses timetable

svensson

The last book went on sake promptly.

I think as Chaosium shifted printers, and the COVID19 shocks wore off, and the Suez Canal shutdown is history, the logistics have gotten stable again.  Now if the Huthis would just stop attacking ships in the Red Sea..... but no, we can't live all the time in a fantasy world.

8 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

The last book went on sake promptly.

I think as Chaosium shifted printers, and the COVID19 shocks wore off, and the Suez Canal shutdown is history, the logistics have gotten stable again.  Now if the Huthis would just stop attacking ships in the Red Sea..... but no, we can't live all the time in a fantasy world.

Suez canal shutdown ? wasn't that 1956 ?
oh, you mean the other  more recent one......😁

12 hours ago, svensson said:

@Oracle Yes, I'm aware of the announcement, but I'm wondering if there are any delays in the last couple months.

This has happened a couple times, and I am just curious.

Yes, I can understand that, but as already mentioned, last releases were always as announced (albeit not necessarily for all warehouses ...), and with the recent announcements for the new Pendragon releases I'm pretty optimistic, that the Lunar Cults book will happen in time. (They never said, if beginning, middle or end of March 😉)

Edited by Oracle

12 hours ago, svensson said:

Yes, I'm aware of the announcement, but I'm wondering if there are any delays in the last couple months.

Given that they had similarly announced the Call of Cthulhu Arkham book with a February release date, and that just went on sale yesterday, there does not appear to be any reason why you'd expect a delay?

I don't believe they make the announcements until the books are printed and they have reasonable confidence of when the books will reach the warehouses. They won't set a final release date until all the warehouses have stock in hand - expect that about 1-2 weeks before release.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I'm WELL aware that Chaosium is allergic to an 'Upcoming Release Date' listing and has always been on the fuzzy side of vague when estimating due dates. Tradition and all that... 😁

But occasionally when I know a big month of game spending is coming up, I like to check in with the producers just to see if the estimate has anything to do with reality. I realize that Acts of Wakboth happen and something misses its date. That's all part of the book business.

On 2/23/2024 at 9:45 AM, svensson said:

Oh, I'm WELL aware that Chaosium is allergic to an 'Upcoming Release Date' listing and has always been on the fuzzy side of vague when estimating due dates. Tradition and all that... 😁

Actually, I think they've become quite good at providing the non-fuzzy Upcoming Release Date - at the point when they are ready. The trigger for that is I believe is when they've finished printing the books and have dispatched them to the warehouses. Only at that point do they have solid timeframes for shipping to, arrival at and stocking the warehouses. That seems to be when they are comfortable in preparing their marketing campaign and saying the release is expected in XXXX.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Actually, I think they've become quite good at providing the non-fuzzy Upcoming Release Date - at the point when they are ready. The trigger for that is I believe is when they've finished printing the books and have dispatched them to the warehouses. Only at that point do they have solid timeframes for shipping to, arrival at and stocking the warehouses. That seems to be when they are comfortable in preparing their marketing campaign and saying the release is expected in XXXX.

I find it hard to believe that bulk buyers (game/book stores) don't have an actual date at this point.  But for some reason, it's almost March and they haven't deigned to share it with the rest of us.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:55 PM, jajagappa said:

....The trigger for that is I believe is when they've finished printing the books and have dispatched them to the warehouses. Only at that point do they have solid timeframes for shipping to, arrival at......

More like when the ships dock on all warehouse continents & Britain (except recently Ausralia)  and the delivery dates to the warehouses are certain.  Recall when we were given tracking data links for at least one ship, but still not a firm release date (at that time).

For years we have been told they don't give uncertain release dates because there is no upside. They have been  pilloried  when something is delayed but not thanked when it goes smoothly.  

Let's thank them at ChaosiumCon.

Edited by Squaredeal Sten
spelling
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Jason Farrell said:

I find it hard to believe that bulk buyers (game/book stores) don't have an actual date at this point.

Well, some shops may claim to have an approximate date — but they are probably just cynically trying to get your “pre-order”. My guess is that the shops are expecting the re-covered Glorantha Sourcebook first (as I have seen a couple showing the art for that but a placeholder for The Lunar Way).

Just think of it as a pint of Guinness.

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

23 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Perhaps because they are just getting Arkham out the door??? It's not their only product line.

What does that have to do with shops having a date but not announcing one for direct customers?  Quoting only part of my post doesn't make the rest of it disappear.

Edited by Jason Farrell

If I understand it correctly, the question is: “Why don’t Friendly Local Game Stores share perfect information about when their distributors will be able to order and deliver product from Chaosium’s warehouses, when the Chaosium itself doesn’t yet know when those products will reach those warehouses?”

But that’s obviously a silly question, so I must be missing some nuance.

FLGSs and online retailers make up release dates all the time. They’re often bollocks. You can believe them or not - it’s a free country - but they definitely didn’t come from Chaosium.

• Like 3

On 2/26/2024 at 10:29 PM, Nick Brooke said:

If I understand it correctly, the question is: “Why don’t Friendly Local Game Stores share perfect information about when their distributors will be able to order and deliver product from Chaosium’s warehouses, when the Chaosium itself doesn’t yet know when those products will reach those warehouses?”

But that’s obviously a silly question, so I must be missing some nuance.

I think that people think that Chaosium shares release information with games stores before they share it with normal people.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 2/25/2024 at 11:37 AM, Jason Farrell said:

I find it hard to believe that bulk buyers (game/book stores) don't have an actual date at this point.  But for some reason, it's almost March and they haven't deigned to share it with the rest of us.

Game shops mostly get their info -- and their inventory -- from distributors, not directly from publishers.

I expect the game-store near where @Jeff lives, or the one by @MOB, have some sort of extra info; but generally the thousands of FLGS's around the world do not.
I expect the shops with this privileged info treat it as privileged, and do not advertise it widely.

At this point in time, I believe Chaosium isn't notifying availability of CoG:Lunars because it hasn't yet cleared local Port Authorities, Customs,  & etc in all ports.  It's still possible for a Teamsters Strike, or a glitch with Customs, to introduce delays.

(n.b. I am not Chaosium.  I only report the things I surmise, from what has previously been stated.  Sometimes I "surmise" very badly.)

C'es ne pas un .sig