From DunDraConXXXVI - What’s New At Chaosium

DreadDomain

Hey guys,

John Taber was kind enough to summarize some seminars on his site http://usandacat.com/thelair/2012/dundracon-xxxvi-seminar-report/ including this :

------------------

What’s New At Chaosium

Saturday 3:00 PM in 156 for 1 hours

Presenter: Charlie Krank

Description: Come and ask your questions of the demented minds behind the Call of Cthulhu and Basic Role Playing.

My Take

Charlie essentially sat down and went through a fantastically wonderful and extensive list of upcoming products. Here are some of the notes I took. These are in very rough order of release.

•New edition of Call Of Cthulhu.

•Cthulhu By Gaslight 3rd edition with TONS of new material by Ross. BIG HELL YEAH!

•Mythic Iceland.

•Two fiction anthologies called Extreme Planets and A Long Way Home.

•Atomic Age Cthulhu – 1950′s era fun.

•House Of R’Lyeh adventure.

•Shaan – A Call Of Cthulhu campaign setting.

•Advanced Sorcery – A BRP magic book based on the system in Nephilim.

•Undead And Unbound – A fiction anthology where every story has a twist. 19 stories! I may have to get this one.

•Magicworld and Superworld being released again!

•Secrets Of Tibet – The monograph is getting the full book treatment like Morocco.

Charlie then talked a lot about working with other developers and a particular company in France that has done some amazing work. It sounds like he is hoping he can make a deal with them that would let everyone partake of some Cthulhu goodness.

My reaction after hearing this laundry list was…DAMN! This list is HUGE!

My Grade: 8 out of 10.

---------------

Magicworld and Superworld!!?? This one I was very surprise to see. Let's hope they are updated/new editions and not just a reformatted reprint.

Cool, I want a new hardcover edition please!

•Cthulhu By Gaslight 3rd edition with TONS of new material by Ross. BIG HELL YEAH!

Yes yes yes! It's been a long time between drinks, but this will be a greatly anticipated publication

Sounds great, although I wish they would do 'Pulp Cthuhlu' book and could cover specific eras, such as Classic Era Pulp 1920s/1930s, Atomic Age Pulp 1950s/1960s, etc.

•House Of R’Lyeh adventure.

•Shaan – A Call Of Cthulhu campaign setting.

Scenarios and campaigns are always welcome

Sounds really great, the magic from Nephilim was very hermetic and evocative, a fine moment for Chaosium. I hope this publication has some new stuff in there as well

Really? That's unusual, considering the BGB has Powers influenced by Superworld, although many on these forums have wanted a return of these publications. Have to wait and see if this is a revamp and not just a rehash.

•Secrets Of Tibet – The monograph is getting the full book treatment like Morocco.
Excellent, you can't have enough exotic campaign locations for Call of Cthuhlu, especially if you want to mix it in with Pulp Adventures as a setting. Tibet should be good.

It's a shame we're not seeing Chronicles of Future Earth being supported as a major line, there are a lot of possibilities with that setting. I would love to see Chaosium with a great fantasy setting, like the good ol' days with RuneQuest & Glorantha. On the other hand, it's great to see Call of Cthuhlu still going strong. There has been some tough competition for Lovecraftian games recently (such as 'Trail of Cthuhlu' and 'Realms of Cthuhlu', both are excellent releases), but Chaosium really have the runs on the pitch with all the back catalog for this setting. It's good to see a new edition and supplements planned this year, a few more campaigns/exotic locations would not go astray, and Tibet will be a welcome setting. Perhaps 'Secrets of Tunisa' or 'Secrets of Shanghai' could be next, more exotic pulp locations of that ilk would be great. I would love to see a few more 'Grand Campaigns' along the lines of 'Horror of the Orient Express', 'Shadows of Yog-Sothoth' or 'Masks of Nyarlathotep', this would keep Chaosium at the top of the Cthuhlu food-chain.

All in all, it looks like some interesting products coming out of Chaosium this year!

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Magicworld and Superworld!!?? This one I was very surprise to see. Let's hope they are updated/new editions and not just a reformatted reprint.

I agree! Was a bit disappointed by Magic Book and hope they do some more work on these and not do the same mistake again. But I will eagerly await and see since a correctly done Magicworld would be exactly what I am currently looking for at the moment.

Of the bunch I am interested in the following :

I am not an avid fan of CoC but I think it is about time I put one on my shelf.

•Mythic Iceland.

Already have in PDF. Might buy the book as well.

I am curious about this one.

Both a big Hell yeah! if they are revamped.

These three I might bite as well.

•Secrets Of Tibet

•Cthulhu By Gaslight

But any entries in last year's BRP adventure contest apparently aren't on the list. :(

At least Chaosium has a busy publishing schedule, 12 books in the pipeline. That can only be a good thing. I'm still eager to see Interplanetary. A revised version of Superworld would (hopefully) end all the debates we've had about powers and campaign possibilities. Magicworld? Eh, BRP already has more magic systems than a Swiss Army knife has gizmos. Why another? A Fifties supplement, with or without Cthulhu, would be fun. "I Married a Teen-aged Communist Monster From Outer Space ... in 3-D!"

Magicworld? Eh, BRP already has more magic systems than a Swiss Army knife has gizmos. Why another?
Ehh! Last time I checked Magicworld was a genre book from Worlds of Wonder that dealt with playing in the fantasy genre and not a pure magic system. And if I am not mistaken the Magic system from Magicworld is the one they already included in the BRP book.

If you where referring to the Advanced Sorcery book I have to agree with you though. Feels that it's more than enough Magic systems out there as it is.

But any entries in last year's BRP adventure contest apparently aren't on the list. :(

That list seems to have only full 'books' on it - no monographs (including the long-since-submitted-and-now-lost-in-limbo Grimoire).

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

"Grand Campaigns," and "Secrets of Shanghai," +1!

The upcoming Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion will have a huge amount of info on Shanghai. All the chapters are good, but the Shanghai chapter is amazing for it's depth.

As for Chronicles of Future Earth, Chaosium lives off free lance submissions, so if nobody submits material for a given line, there will be no material for that line. If you want more CoFE material, beg somebody to submit something.

The upcoming Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion will have a huge amount of info on Shanghai. All the chapters are good, but the Shanghai chapter is amazing for it's depth.
Yes ! This certainly does sound awesome! Absolutely brilliant news, I can't wait for this!

It's the first I've heard of it though, so unfortunately I guess it is a 2013 release as it isn't in the above posted list.

I'm bringing my long running Gloranthan campaign to a break, and I'm going to GM a Classic Pulp era game (1920s/1930s) using Call of Cthuhlu and as well as Pulp supplements from other game systems (but I'll be using BRP for the game mechanics). My own Pulp Cthuhlu setting, kinda likes 'Indiana Jones & The Shadow Under The Sands' for want of it's flavour. Standard BRP rules with some Fate rules thrown in to increase the 'pulpiness' and survival rate of the characters. Could be fun.

I was going to run a few basic one-shots, then launch into the 'Masks of Nylathotep' campaign - is it worthwhile waiting for this Nyarlathotep Companion to be released?

I'ld really like to know more about this if possible...

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Yes ! This certainly does sound awesome! Absolutely brilliant news, I can't wait for this!

It's the first I've heard of it though, so unfortunately I guess it is a 2013 release as it isn't in the above posted list.

I was going to run a few basic one-shots, then launch into the 'Masks of Nylathotep' campaign - is it worthwhile waiting for this Nyarlathotep Companion to be released?

I'ld really like to know more about this if possible...

As currently planned, it's a monograph, so it's not going to to appear on Chaosium's list of upcoming publications. I assume that's because the list Charlie provided is probably the same list he'll provide to distributors; and monographs don't go into distribution.

All the text is finished, art work is done, and layout is progressing so 2012 is not a stretch goal. It should be achievable. It was really close in 2011, actually. I'm not saying that it'll be out in 2012, but it stands a good chance.

As for whether or not you *need* the Masks of Nyarlathotep Companion (MoNC), that's up to you. It's not necessary for running the campaign. People have been doing that for decades. But, each chapter of the MoNC serves as either a Secrets of... book for a given location in MoNC or offers a lot of advice to keepers for getting the most out of the campaign. For locations that have a currently in-print Secrets of... book (ex. New York), the chapter focuses less on general NYC and instead delves straight into the Nyarlathotep connections. For locations without a currently in-print Secrets of... book (Shanghai, Cairo, etc), the chapter provides general information on the setting and then delves into the Nyarlathotep connections. Want to know what type of guns Shanghai police carried or what secret, internationally famous guest was supposedly staying in Cairo at the same time the investigators are there? Then you might want to check out this book.

IIRC, it weighs in at 400+ pages. It is a beast.

chapter of the MoNC serves as either a Secrets of... book for a given location in MoNC or offers a lot of advice to keepers for getting the most out of the campaign. For locations that have a currently in-print Secrets of... book (ex. New York), the chapter focuses less on general NYC and instead delves straight into the Nyarlathotep connections. For locations without a currently in-print Secrets of... book (Shanghai, Cairo, etc), the chapter provides general information on the setting and then delves into the Nyarlathotep connections. Want to know what type of guns Shanghai police carried or what secret, internationally famous guest was supposedly staying in Cairo at the same time the investigators are there? Then you might want to check out this book.

IIRC, it weighs in at 400+ pages. It is a beast.

Sounds groovy! - good concept, too.I like the idea that some supplements are so cool they get their own supplements!

Is this the historical project you had me guessing about last year (or was it 2 years ago now?)

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Re: Shanghai-- The Celestial Empire covers China until 1911, so TCE + some good information about Shanghai in the 1920s/30s + a map of Shanghai in the 1920s/30s can be possibly enough to set a game in Shanghai in the 1920s/30s.

Sounds groovy! - good concept, too.I like the idea that some supplements are so cool they get their own supplements!

Is this the historical project you had me guessing about last year (or was it 2 years ago now?)

Nope. This wasn't the historical project I was talking about two years (yes, two years) ago. The MoNC was Bret Kramer's idea and a lot of people worked on it. I don't think a single person could have brought together all the knowledge that's contained in this one book. It's definitely the amazing book that it is because of all the talented people involved.

The historical project I mentioned way back when and that I still think about finishing was Imperial and slightly later Russia -- specifically Alexander II to the death of the Romanovs. I made a lot of progress, but then got side tracked with contracts that pay money. Silly me...

Fun fact: The Romanovs actually appear in the chapter on Egypt that I wrote for the MoNC.

• 3 weeks later...

The news about Superworld really jumps out at me. I'd love to see a more streamlined version than the boxed set edition. In fact, a reprint of the original WoW (Worlds of Wonder) booklet with the designer notes from Different Worlds would be better.

Shows how different people are. The original Superworld was way too sketchy, and even the full boxed set wasn't a really complete game until after the Companion was published, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...