Water book cults

I would include Zola Fel. It may be a small river in Glorantha. But its THE River in Prax that is one of the most important places and one of the available homelands for PCs. The only reason to not include it in the Cults book is if a Prax/Pavis book comes earlier.

To get a feeling for what we could expect out of the water cults book, I've been consulting the Red Book of Magic and all spells that utilise the water rune. As an overall vibe the spells tend to be creature summoning spells, spells that control bodies of water, or spells about traversing water.

Awaken Loon, Breathe Water, Call Monster, Calm Waters, Control Flood, Create Flippers, Dew, Drown, Fireshield, Flashflood, Float, Flood, Magnify Command, Plastron, Predict Weather, Purify Water, Rain, Ride River Horse, Sea Strength, Strong Net, Submerge, Summon Dolphin, Summon Fish, Summon Ludoch, Summon Nereid, Summon Salmon, Summon Tidal Wave, Transform Head (Turtle), Waterwalk, Waterspout, Whirlpool (31 spells total)

Though I expect we will also see some new spells that are not in RBoM.

14 minutes ago, JayLay said:

To get a feeling for what we could expect out of the water cults book, I've been consulting the Red Book of Magic and all spells that utilise the water rune. As an overall vibe the spells tend to be creature summoning spells, spells that control bodies of water, or spells about traversing water.

You can find their origin by consulting Rune Magic by Cult and Associate Cult and Master Lists: Rune/Divine Magic in the MIGIII.

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

What are the odds that at the end of all this there may be some spells in the RBoM without a published cult that uses them?

I'm thinking specifically of the Sofali spells here, noting that it isn't on this admittedly non-definitive list.

--

An Unofficial Buyer's Guide to RuneQuest and Glorantha lists everything currently available for the game and setting, across 60 pages. "Lavishly illustrated throughout, festooned with hyperlinks" - Nick Brooke. The Voralans presents Glorantha's magical mushroom humanoids, the black elves. "A wonderful blend of researched detail and Glorantha crazy" - Austin Conrad. The Children of Hykim documents Glorantha's shape-changing totemic animal people, the Hsunchen. "Stunning depictions of shamanistic totem-animal people, really evocative" - Philip H.

5 hours ago, Brian Duguid said:

What are the odds that at the end of all this there may be some spells in the RBoM without a published cult that uses them?

I'm thinking specifically of the Sofali spells here, noting that it isn't on this admittedly non-definitive list.

I’d expect they’ll make it into the Shamanic / Hykimi / Spirit Cults book, whatever that ends up being called.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Darius West said:

Does Anilla go "bloop" when she falls into Magasta's Pool?  If so, how far away can the bloop be heard?

IMG, Magasta's whirlpool is the center of the watery doughnut that is Sramak's River, with a massive vertical surface pushing back the Chaos Rift, closing it to the rest of the world. Annilla would touch down tangentially and probably rides a special current that takes her to the outside of the Gates of Dusk in about a day, to wait for the arrival of Lorion for her assisted ascent back to Pole Star. The splash might be audible only to the Chaos Rift.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Posted (edited)
On 5/19/2024 at 7:15 PM, Joerg said:

IMG, Magasta's whirlpool is the center of the watery doughnut that is Sramak's River, with a massive vertical surface pushing back the Chaos Rift, closing it to the rest of the world. Annilla would touch down tangentially and probably rides a special current that takes her to the outside of the Gates of Dusk in about a day, to wait for the arrival of Lorion for her assisted ascent back to Pole Star. The splash might be audible only to the Chaos Rift.

I thought Annilla invariably drops from the crest of the Dome all the way down as a blue flash.  I'm sure I read it described that way somewhere?  Possibly in Elder Secrets?

Edited by Darius West

3 hours ago, Darius West said:

I thought Annilla invariably drops from the crest of the Dome all the way down as a blue flash.  I'm sure I read it described that way somewhere?  Possibly in Elder Secrets?

All the way down means into the funnel of raging waters that form Magasta's Whirlpool. Brastalos' column of air ought to extend at least 500 miles below the surface of the Homeward Ocean. That allows Annilla to fall down far below the horizon without getting wet. Somewhere around that depth are the iron island and the island of no return, on the border between the world of the living and the world of the dead, both of which can observe her passing overhead, narrowing the funnel in her wake.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

On 5/21/2024 at 1:08 AM, Joerg said:

All the way down means into the funnel of raging waters that form Magasta's Whirlpool. Brastalos' column of air ought to extend at least 500 miles below the surface of the Homeward Ocean. That allows Annilla to fall down far below the horizon without getting wet. Somewhere around that depth are the iron island and the island of no return, on the border between the world of the living and the world of the dead, both of which can observe her passing overhead, narrowing the funnel in her wake.

I hope Annilla misses the islands when she descends at high speed, as she does.  Imagine the clang if she hit the iron island !  The whole of Glorantha would ring like a bell, given the dome and such. 😄

On 5/14/2024 at 9:49 PM, David Scott said:

For those curious, I've gone through the list and pulled together cited gods. For a fair few entries there are no gods mentioned, and thus aren't included below. Otherwise gods associated with the spells in RoBM include:

• Breathe Water: Engizi, Magasta (as an associate of various)
  • Calm Waters: Choralinthor (as an associate of Ernalda)
  • Control Flood: Oslira (as an associate of Biselenslib)
  • Dew: Dew Maid
  • Fireshield: Engizi
  • Float: Dormal (Ygg associate), Diros (Engizi associate), Magasta (Mastakos associate), Yestendeos (SurEnslib/Biselenslib associate)
  • Flood: Engizi (Heler as rain variant)
  • Rain: Heler
  • Ride River Horse: River Horse
  • Strongnet: Engizi
  • Summon Naiad: Engizi (This wasn't on my original list, but Summon Nereid was. Seems like a discrepancy between RQG and RBoM)
  • Summon Water Elemental: Engizi, King Undine (as Heler associate), Young Elementals (as 7M associate)
  • Waterwalk: Oslira (as Surenslib associate)

The most notable outlier is Float, which clearly corresponds to "Boat gods" as opposed to deities of the waters. At the moment the majority of spells are associated with river deities, either in the form of the Oslira or Engizi.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2024 at 10:08 PM, Brian Duguid said:

If it doesn’t make it into the Shaman book with the other hsunchen cults as Nick suggests, fear not, I did a pretty thorough look at the Sofali, including a Sofala cult write up (with those spells) for our East Isles books. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2024 at 7:58 PM, davecake said:

East Isles books

Yes. It is in Vol 4: Sironomandidi. There is a long chapter about the sofali culture, creating sofali character and cults, done by David Cake and Vesa Lehtinen. There is also a sample NPC, mini adventure and adventure seed.

Screenshot_20240625_160432_Drive.jpg

• Like 1