Attacks/round house rules or other options besides using strike ranks.

skull

Well, only time will tell if these issues are fixed or made more clear in the new edition.

But I think RQ6 is in good hands, the authors Pete & Loz certainly have enough runs on the pitch as far as I'm concerned. Can't wait for the release of RQ6 actually, it'll definitely be a 'must have' rpg product for me this year.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go on then - please give us a list of 'em... ;)

Here is a new one (actually, an old one converted for BRP, but since the original was for MRQ1 I bet you do not have it). Sorry for the delay, but DriveThru has undergone maintenance for the last two days. And thank you for giving me an opportunity to advertise :P

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

a) Sorcery: there are holes in the system, and this is well known. Despite the general statements of "Oooh, wonderful" that came after people read the system, the rules in actual play have been found to have plenty of "quirks". Repeated Teleportation and Tapping at 5km range are just some of the problems found so far: the list of exploits found is going to grow in size. Luckily, I know for sure that the whole magic section has been rebalanced from the ground up for RQ6. I hope the principles behind these problems have been eliminated.

One man's quirk is another man's feature. There isn't a magic system out there which can't be exploited to some degree. Whilst all the magic systems have been given a thorough overhaul and spells modified to discourage blatant abuse, the principles behind sorcery remain as before. Indeed a good number of extra spells have been added to the game, some even more evil than before.

At the same time however, we have the space and page count to provide detailed advice to GMs about restricting spell availability, delaying access to more potent cult magics and consequences of murderous actions. There are also other, completely new methods detailed to ensure that whilst such spells exist to replicate the high fantasy and S&S genres, their fangs can still be pulled.

What we provide is merely a Sorcery toolbox. At some point the Game Master has to bear responsibility about what he places in his campaign and makes accessible to PCs.

B) Fighting styles: Mankcam nailed it, they are ok but it is difficult to explain people how they work. Loz has been forced to post on several forums to clarify the correct interpretation of the rules, and this is certainly one point that players have problem "grokking". A good explanation about how this works (not included in Legend) is crucial for the success of RQ6. But again, the two have said they fixed this point.

Yes we have.

Here is a new one... And thank you for giving me an opportunity to advertise :P

Yes, my invitation for you to advertise was entirely intentional - knowing how much you like it. (And :P yourself!)

But is there no more than ONE adventure to your credit?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Yes, my invitation for you to advertise was entirely intentional - knowing how much you like it. (And :P yourself!)

But is there no more than ONE adventure to your credit?

FFS... Here's Alephtar's "Drive Thru" page: DriveThruRPG.com - Alephtar Games - The Largest RPG Download Store!

- Veni, Vidi, Vici is a scenario pack for Rome

- That Hounds one is a free adventure for MRQ

- Crusaders of the Amber Coast has a whole campaign included

FFS...

Nuff adventures for ya? :7

'nuff said on the matter I reckon heh heh

There's no need for acrimony, guys. I asked a question, twice, and now we have the answer: 3 scenario packs and 2 individual adventures. It shouldn't be that hard.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

There's no need for acrimony, guys. I asked a question, twice, and now we have the answer: 3 scenario packs and 2 individual adventures. It shouldn't be that hard.

You're right. I should have kept my virtual nose out of it. My appologies if I've hurt your feelings. I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again.

All the best - Mike

All the best - Mike

Thanks. All the best to you too. :)

I didn't realize it read that strongly Frogspawner. It certainly wasn't intended as such. Sorry mate, I'll keep out of it

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

I didn't realize it read that strongly Frogspawner. It certainly wasn't intended as such. Sorry mate, I'll keep out of it

Ta. Guess I didn't expect grief for my lighthearted invitation to Rosen to display his wares. No worries now. :)

What was the subject again? ;)

SciFi galore coming.

I missed that, and did not find any news about science fiction stuff

for BRP on Chaosium's website. Could you please tell me where to

look for such good news - thank you. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I think us RPG-ers would be better served if publishers came out with more *adventures*, rather than new rules/source-books every five minutes...

As a GM, I can write adventures for my gaming group at the drop of a hat. These adventures take up a page, maybe two, of bullet points and plotlines. Adventures are not an issue, for me, as a GM.

Finding interesting settings, however, is tricky. I can go for Glorantha, but I've done that a lot. Alternate Earth is another favourite of mine, but there wasn't much around for it. The Eternal Champion is good but my players aren't keen. So, as a GM, I like new settings supplements.

When I write things to be published or to go on my website, however, settings are a lot easier to write than adventures, at least they are for me. A setting can be background, as detailed as I want, a gazetteer, cults/religions, magic and a bestiary and hey presto we have a supplement. Adventures, on the other hand, are difficult. They have to be interesting, wel-rounded, have to think of deviation points, need overall plots, NPC writeups and so on. They take a lot longer to write, have to be playtested, and normally follow a published setting, unless they are generic standalone adventures.

Having said that, on the list of things I am planning to do in the next 2 years, the first is a set of rules (Legend), the second is probably going to be an adventure pack (BRP) and the third is a setting supplement containing a few adventures (probably Legend). So, expect more adventures "soon" ...

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I missed that, and did not find any news about science fiction stuff

for BRP on Chaosium's website. Could you please tell me where to

look for such good news - thank you. :)

It is mentioned in this thread http://basicroleplaying.com/basic-roleplaying/chaosium-adventure-contests-2012-a-2822/

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

Having said that, on the list of things I am planning to do in the next 2 years, the first is a set of rules (Legend), the second is probably going to be an adventure pack (BRP) and the third is a setting supplement containing a few adventures (probably Legend). So, expect more adventures "soon" ...

Please....tell us more O:)

Adventures, on the other hand, are difficult.

Indeed. An adventure needs a more specific and detailed idea than a setting,

and it has to fit the setting, the campaign arc and the group of characters to

be really good, and one usually has to think of several plotlines to be at least

somewhat prepared for whatever strange plans the players may come up with.

I think I have learned to do it reasonably well for my campaign with my players

in my setting, but I would very much hesitate to try to do it for other players

in other campaigns.

(Charlie Chan)

Indeed. An adventure needs a more specific and detailed idea than a setting,

and it has to fit the setting, the campaign arc and the group of characters to

be really good, and one usually has to think of several plotlines to be at least

somewhat prepared for whatever strange plans the players may come up with.

I think I have learned to do it reasonably well for my campaign with my players

in my setting, but I would very much hesitate to try to do it for other players

in other campaigns.

There are several techniques to avoid this problem. A sandbox design, although not always applicable, is a good solution. The adventure I just re-released, for instance, is a sandbox: the PCs are limited to encountering and interacting with a pre-defined set of characters and situations in a city district, but there are so many things they can do that it is virtually impossible that they feel limited or railroaded.

The problem comes when you have to describe a longer story arc. This is better run as PC-driven, adapting the story to what the players want to do. But this contrasts with the necessity of having a "story". Again, you may still design the main incidents in the story, those that will take place whatever the PCs do, and leave the rest (mainly interaction with friendly forces) to improvisation and player provided hooks. It will take some ability by the GM, as he has to balance player freedom and the necessity to use at least some of the elements in the pre-set story, but it can work. It all depends on NOT writing the story as depending on some sort of Very Important NPC: better link it to a PC by using background events, or having the NPC be someone with very strong ties to a PC. This works way better.

Edit: and it is also way off topic.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Sometimes you can solve the "sandbox" limitations by revealing that it is a sandbox. For instance, back when I was running Star Trek, I would run some adventures i the holodeck.

The nature of the holodeck adventure is basically a sandbox adventure. But the players balk less, because they know it is a sandbox and that they can always walk out (well, almost always). In fact, they tended to be less likely to try to go outside the box since they knew their characters were playing a game in the holodeck, and that they should conform to the rules of the particular adventure.

It not only allowed me to expand the type of adventures I could run, but it also gave me a way to playtest new rules and ideas without any permanent effects on the campaign or PCs. Stuff that worked well became new rules, and stuff that didn't got dropped. The really embarrassing errors were passed of pas programming bugs.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

"Sandbox" is a setting/adventure/campaign where nothing is defined or only loosely plotted out, but nothing in detail is there.

I think this is a bit misleading. A sandbox setting can have any degree of detail,

and it usually needs even more detail than other types of setting, because it has

to offer the characters a huge variety of hooks and options for their activities, in

order to enable them to interact with the setting on their own, without any pre-

planned adventure provided by the referee.

(Charlie Chan)