Chaosium Construction Zone Sale

ORtrail

I'm not sure where to post this, so mods feel free to move it. From now through May 28th there is a sale at the Chaosium website. This is one of the rare times a Chaosium sale overlaps with my payday, and I can purchase with much less opposition from the wife. :) To quote from the email:

"So, while this is going on, we thought that we would reward our loyal and patient Chaosium customers with a 30% OFF SALE! It's been some time since our last sale and you can now help us clear some virtual space on our cloud for new e-product.

This is store-wide but for a limited time, ending at midnight on Memorial Day (28 May 2012). The sale includes all product, e-books, knick-knacks and doo-dads on our site. Remember, we recently lowered our prices on Chaosium pdf-books, and this sale is in addition to those improved savings! "

Thanks for the heads up -- there are a couple of books I've been waiting to buy.

Man I hate the Chaosium catalog. One of the books I wanted was "Mythic Iceland." I head to the BRP section. It's new, I would think it would be highlighted, but no. I wander through page one, no Mythic Iceland. I wander through page 2, no Mythic Iceland. I go to...wait there is no page 3?! What the deuce? Maybe it's in Cthulhu...nope. Ok I search and find it, but I still don't know how to browse to it.

And the other books I want? I don't really remember, but I know I wanted a couple. But browsing didn't show me anything else I was missing.

So, I suspect Chaosium is going to miss getting some of my money, just because I can't browse to stuff I want. Urgh for both them and me.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I really want to pick up the Laundry books and now would be an ideal time. I'm not sure if my finances are going to permit it though.

Also, Mythic Iceland is only available as a pdf right now it looks like. It's highlighted on the front page of the catalogue under Cool New Things.

70/420

If Mythic Iceland in paper will be available "any day now" (see Mythic Iceland thread), then I sure hope that day is before the sale ends.

It will be the day after the sale ends. Search your feelings, you know this to be true. ;D

Yeah, navigation can be a pain on their website. I spent a good hour going through the left side links, as price can really change my interest level in a book. Even a large book in PDF is seldom worth more than $15 to me, most I wait till it is closer to $10, and anything at $5 or so is almost an automatic purchase. I finally created a 'wishlist' and have a number of items in there. I will get at least 2 more from that list before the sale ends.

I still love the smell and feel of dead trees and ink though, so that upcoming BRP Pulp resource book is probably not going to be a PDF purchase.

ORTrail your comment about the cost of the pdf is interesting. I consider the amount of work that went into the book (text and illustrations) in determining what I'll pay for it. Top price for a pdf would be one that is properly indexed with hyperlinks both in the index and from the TOC. If it reflowed and substituted captions for pictures to acommodate my PC and an e-reader I'd be even more pleased.

A scan from an OOP book would have to be pure gold to pay more than a pittance. At minimum I expect the text to have been OCR'd so I can copy and paste for making improved gaming materials.

Good explanations of game mechanics are high priorities as are profuse examples although I'd be happy to see those not shown in the e-reader version.

Current ePUB technology allows for these features but obviously the average RPG author while able to write may have issues with layout skills etc. as we see with the errors in so many books.

If people learn nothing about professional layout they should at least understand that heavy graphics are fine in a printed book but a hindrance in a pdf format. I do note that Paizo have begun to offer less graphical versions of the material in pdfs.

Nigel

Hey All,

Guess what? Word just came from on high that Mythic Iceland will be arriving from the printer late next week or early the week after. Guess what that means for all of you loyal customers? Mythic Iceland will be on pre-order soon, meaning it will be available for the 30% off sale that we are currently in. So, I would suggest going over to Chaosium.com and placing a pre-order in the next couple of days. No orders that contain Mythic Iceland will be shipped until Mythic iceland arrives in the warehouse.

Charlie will be making a more formal announcement on the website soon.

Thanks all,

Old Harry the Drifter

I'm excited about the sale, and there are a couple books I've been thinking about. Unfortunately, the books I really really want are ones that haven't come out yet -- Interplanetary and Astounding Adventures. Atomic Age Cthulhu has possibilities, too.

Anyone who was having issues with the cart processing at Chaosium's website, try again now. I was having issues yesterday and emailed Chaosium: Aaron emailed me back overnight and the problem has been resolved, so I've placed my order (including Mythic Icelnad, yay!).

Cheers,

Nick

Well, now DrivethruRPG is having a sale. From now to the 27th you get 25% off anything that was on your 'wishlist'. I only had two items, and one I had just added yesterday. The sale pushed one item down from $15 (where I was debating getting it) to $11.25, which makes it a near certain purchase.

Edit: FYI, you cannot add items to your wishlist and get the discount. I tried. :)

Edited by ORtrail

I'm looping when trying to checkout. It might be something to do with only buying PDFs, having a stored address and using PayPal, but it keeps asking me to choose a billing address. I've sent an email and am waiting to see what happens.

It's the first time I've had a problem ordering from the Chaosium website, though.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here. 

I'm looping when trying to checkout. It might be something to do with only buying PDFs, having a stored address and using PayPal, but it keeps asking me to choose a billing address. I've sent an email and am waiting to see what happens.

It's the first time I've had a problem ordering from the Chaosium website, though.

The above describes my typical Chaosium shopping experience. Other than being here in the States and not across the pond, though that might be enough of an issue in itself. Imagine how it will be after they upgrade the software/system? I expect at least a week of, uhh, chaos at Chaosium after they change over. ;D:-/:_(

After trying again and again for several days to buy the Mythic Iceland PDF from

Chaosium, always getting trapped in the loop described above, I finally gave up

and hope that it will also be sold through DTRPG soon. X(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

After trying again and again for several days to buy the Mythic Iceland PDF from

Chaosium, always getting trapped in the loop described above, I finally gave up

and hope that it will also be sold through DTRPG soon. X(

Hmmm, if we can't actually purchase anything, does that make the 30% off sale ... mythical?

Hmmm, if we can't actually purchase anything, does that make the 30% off sale ... mythical?

The term that came to my mind was more like "mythleading" ... :(

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Well, now DrivethruRPG is having a sale. From now to the 27th you get 25% off anything that was on your 'wishlist'. I only had two items, and one I had just added yesterday. The sale pushed one item down from $15 (where I was debating getting it) to $11.25, which makes it a near certain purchase.

Edit: FYI, you cannot add items to your wishlist and get the discount. I tried. :)

Thanks for that! I have a bunch of things in my wishlist -- not all of them are discounted, but many are. I can tell that I'll have to pick up a few.

The challenge will be staying within budget with both the DtRPG and Chaosium sales at the same time!

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Well, I tried Chaosium's site again and managed to checkout OK.

However, my email seems to have been swallowed by a black hole - no response at all, not even to acknowledge receipt of the email.

So, 1/10 for Chaosium's customer service, just because they had an email to send to (even though it took 10 minutes to find it). Their Catalogue is also confusing, until you realise that you have to select the category on the left hand side.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here.