Which forum do we discuss Aquelarre in?

TrippyHippy

Just discovered this as it's being kickstarted by Stewart Wieck at the moment, who also publishes Greg Stafford's Pendragon. The campaign is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1861515217/aquelarre-the-dark-and-mature-medieval-rpg-now-in

Basically, I'm just interested in someone with experience of it telling me all about it. The system is clearly a BRP/RQ derivative, but it looks like a very demonic-themed Spanish sort of Ars Magica to me. Also, notably there's a new version of Pendragon being offered in the same campaign, based off the Spanish version.

Anyhoo, feel free to move this to an appropriate thread if you're moderating this - I just didn't quite know where to post it!

Edited by TrippyHippy

It's clearly a BRP derivative, more precisely RQ with hit locations and everything. Here one can download character sheets in Spanish and Latin!

http://www.sinergiaderol.com/hojasdepersonaje/aquelarre-hojas-personaje.html

The third edition character sheet in perfectly correct Latin is a marvel. I wish I had one for BRP Rome. Correction: I should create one for BRP Rome!

• Like 2

It's obviously a big game in Spain, as evidenced by it's lavish design and by virtue of it being described as the 'best RPG still not translated to English'. This campaign obviously seems to want to do something about that, and notably Stewart Wieck has something of a notable track record as previous owner of White Wolf game, the original creator of Mage: The Ascension and champion of classic medieval games such as Pendragon and Ars Magica.

The rules, as said, are clearly based on RQ although the stats are a little different and they seem to be going for things like Health Levels and Advantages & Disadvantages which link it a little more to Ars Magica in my mind. The % skills, with crits and fumbles, is obviously the same as RQ though, and it seems that all skills are linked to the stats in some way. Not sure exactly how the magic works but it's based upon an opposing stat of Rationality (resistance to magic) and Irrationality (being able to use magic). This is quite neat.

The setting is a mythical, medieval Spain before it became a unified nation, and I'd imagine that much of the intrigue comes from the five warring states at the time. The other conflict comes from a clash of literal religious beliefs (Christian, Muslim and Jew) and the machinations of demons and other creatures of Spanish folklore. It's medieval paradigm, art and setting, along with the use of Latin terminology do make it feel similar to Ars Magica with a more specified drive and a dark tone. "Aquelarre" means 'Coven" and the book is presented like an occult tomb. An old review on RPG.net suggests it's a bit like playing In Nomine. I'll be backing it, for sure, I'm just not sure at what level yet. For a 500 page, full colour hardback, however, the Kickstarter price is a bargain. You could even get a new version of Pendragon thrown in as an add on.

If you can speak Spanish, here's an unboxing review:

That'll be the book you'll be getting.....but in English!

Edited by TrippyHippy

Yeah I'm interested in this...but it may be a bit too dark for my tastes...still, it does beckon me

Surely a great piece of work but not my cup of tea.  Defnitely too dark for me. I would not want my medieval game to have such a strong diabolical theme. For one, the Middle Ages are so rich and colorful that looking at them through this prism diminishes them a little.

Also, I can live with the incomprehensible horrors from beyond of the CoC mythos. They instill a sense of wonder and fear. But I can't bear too much corruption and depravity, personal, historical and very human evil. That inspires me more revulsion than cosmic horror.

That's also why I hesitate with games featuring the Nazi. They're too human and too evil.

Aquelarre is definitely not particularly dark. As el_octogono has written, you have both sides of the coin. You can also ignore the coin altogether :) and have mundane adventures. I have a supplement (forgot its title) where a 'retired' knight is going back home and has all manner of adventures on his way back. An excellent campaign game (if slightly railroad-ey).

I'm happy this is being translated and I hope this lavish book gets the attention it deserves. I remember solo-playing a bunch of very interesting scenarios years ago and I had a lot of fun. My character was Jofre, a strong and burly soldier from Catalonia armed with a big sword, who was wandering around the Peninsula, helping people in distress. :)

The system is very runequesty, so if you have ever played RQ, it will be really easy to start playing in medieval Spain.

As for its darkness, it can be as dark as you want it, but these are the dark ages, after all. Actually this is like "Merrie England" but in Spain. Better yet: it's Spain as Spanish people in the middle ages thought it was. That's why you can see so many demons and magical beings, because back then, people sleeping in the open had millions of stories to make them afraid of that sudden movement between the brushes, on the other side of the fire. It's a gorgeous way of learning about Spanish history and folklore as well.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

• 2 weeks later...

Im a backer of Aquelarre as it sounds interesting. Might mention  the Magic system sounds interesting with   Miracles for the Religious types while Pagans/non Religious  use Magic. I also like the idea that you not only have big bad guys like Demons around but you also have Angels you can ask for help. They gave a write up    recently on a Guardian Angel. They will not fight for you but will give you advice.

Edited by TRose

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎20‎:‎13‎, GianniVacca said:

Aquelarre is definitely not particularly dark. As el_octogono has written, you have both sides of the coin. You can also ignore the coin altogether :) and have mundane adventures. I have a supplement (forgot its title) where a 'retired' knight is going back home and has all manner of adventures on his way back. An excellent campaign game (if slightly railroad-ey).

Did the Knight get to fight a Wind Mill

How friendly is it to female characters (and I guess players as well)?  The game looks fantastic and I am sure IS fantastic, but these days I always seem to be asking that question. More for the idea of knowing what one is getting into rather than rejecting it based on an authentic vision of women in Medieval times. 

Its 2300hrs, do you know where your super dreadnoughts are?

http://reigndragonpressblog.blogspot.com/