RuneQuest 2 reprint

Missiletoebass

I am super tempted to bump myself up to the $250 pledge. The reason is that I am planning on buying all the hardcopy reprints that are coming out in 2016, and with all the discounts I will get from this Kickstarter, it will pay for itself. Hmm…

Just curious why no Gateway Bestiary? I know it’s “Gateway,” but some of its monsters were subsequently used in Gloranthan products.

3 hours ago, Falconer said:

I am super tempted to bump myself up to the $250 pledge. The reason is that I am planning on buying all the hardcopy reprints that are coming out in 2016, and with all the discounts I will get from this Kickstarter, it will pay for itself. Hmm…

Just curious why no Gateway Bestiary? I know it’s “Gateway,” but some of its monsters were subsequently used in Gloranthan products.

We focused on the Gloranthan RQ stuff for this KS.

Congratulations on a successful campaign and reaching $200,000 and achieving nearly all the stretch goals. Its a shame that Questworld wasn't reached, but I guess that is fitting with the Gloranthan only future of the game.

Whilst I'm on the subject, is there a reason that Heroquest has both setting free and Gloranthan versions, but the next Runequest (RQ7) cannot?

Ok. the Kickstarter has been over for more then an hour now and I have yet to get my books. I have gone out to the mail box no less then three times. This is unacceptable.

But seriously, congrats.

Rod

• Like 3

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

12 minutes ago, threedeesix said:

Ok. the Kickstarter has been over for more then an hour now and I have yet to get my books. I have gone out to the mail box no less then three times. This is unacceptable.

But seriously, congrats.

Rod

Huh.  Somebody should definitely look into that!

I got my books 5 hours ago (all except for Trollpak, of course, it won't arrive until after Darkness).

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

52 minutes ago, Jae said:

Congratulations on a successful campaign and reaching $200,000 and achieving nearly all the stretch goals. Its a shame that Questworld wasn't reached, but I guess that is fitting with the Gloranthan only future of the game.

Whilst I'm on the subject, is there a reason that Heroquest has both setting free and Gloranthan versions, but the next Runequest (RQ7) cannot?

RQ6 has a minimalistic setting, as-needed for demonstrating principles of the game; it's non-Gloranthan & VERY minimal, and the system is essentially "setting-free" (or at least "setting-neutral").   Exactly what product do you mean by "RQ7"?

C'es ne pas un .sig

The RQ Classic Kickstarter is over and we thank the 2176 backers for joining us on an epic journey! We have achieved so much these last 24 days. We hoped for 1000 backers, were amazed when we passed 1500, and stunned to have over 2000. That's almost one backer for every page of Classic RuneQuest we will be reprinting. Yep, over 2000 pages back into print, and even some things that have never been in print. The flurry of pledges at the end got us all the way to TrollPak. There was definitely a community Heroquest performed to break a bit of the troll curse that banished the boxed set decades ago. It was a pleasure to watch its return. Well done, indeed!

Having 2176 backers believing in this project proves that there is a lot of magic left in RuneQuest. We have added another dimension to the Old School Renaissance via Old School RuneQuest. With $206,819 pledged, the backers have done their part, and now it is up to us to do the rest. The RQ Classic edition PDF, GM screen PDF, Handouts PDF and the Fangs PDF will all be made available for download shortly, once payments have been processed. The RQ Classic rulebook files have already been sent to the printers. 

Happy Holidays!

Rick, Jeff, Neil, MOB and the Chaosium team

cf021fc218178a13db2c4c1d2b3c642a_origina

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jae said:

Just to make sure I understand, your observation is that PDFs of the old generic version of HQ are still for sale but RQ6 won't be after the new RQG comes out? I think it is only the "RuneQuest" name that has to eventually stop being used by Design Mechanism. I am pretty sure the RQ6 game system will live on under a different name. The "RuneQuest" name was originally coined for a Glorantha game so it makes sense to me that it be used that way again.

Come to think of it, I would rather that the generic version of HeroQuest get another name too. It doesn't really work for me as the title of a generic system. The HeroQuest name isn't as strongly Gloranthan as RuneQuest, but it still sounds like a FRPG name to me. Some of the examples of play in the rules sounded pretty far away from "hero" or "quest". (e.g. A singer going on an "apology tour" to heal her reputation.) :) 

Thank you to all who took part in the Kickstarter. Every now and then, although not very often, we are reminded of what is truly important. We saw the tribe in action, heroquesting to achieve great things, all for the benefit of the community. It was an amazing 24 days of nostalgia, rebirth and looking towards the future; time well spent with old friends, while making new friends along the way. That's what I will always remember. In the end, it's always about the people.

• Like 7

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

2 hours ago, g33k said:

RQ6 has a minimalistic setting, as-needed for demonstrating principles of the game; it's non-Gloranthan & VERY minimal, and the system is essentially "setting-free" (or at least "setting-neutral").   Exactly what product do you mean by "RQ7"?

Its my understanding that the next version of Runequest (which will most likely be known as RQ7 by the community) will only be available as a Gloranthan game.

1 hour ago, kpmcdona said:

Just to make sure I understand, your observation is that PDFs of the old generic version of HQ are still for sale but RQ6 won't be after the new RQG comes out?

Indeed, Chaosium/Moon Design seem to have a different strategy for the future of Runequest to the one they followed with Heroquest, which is surprising given the good will and respect earned by RQ6. The second edition of Heroquest (printed in 2007) is setting neutral and is still available in print form and pdf from Moon Design. Heroquest Glorantha (printed 2015) is also available.

Excellent work! Good start for the new Chaosium team. And wonderful to see all those classic books back in print again.

So, what does it mean economically for a company to have a hugely successful kickstarter campaign? 

• Like 1

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

2 hours ago, clarence said:

Excellent work! Good start for the new Chaosium team. And wonderful to see all those classic books back in print again.

So, what does it mean economically for a company to have a hugely successful kickstarter campaign? 

It helps!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kpmcdona said:

Just to make sure I understand, your observation is that PDFs of the old generic version of HQ are still for sale but RQ6 won't be after the new RQG comes out? I think it is only the "RuneQuest" name that has to eventually stop being used by Design Mechanism. I am pretty sure the RQ6 game system will live on under a different name. The "RuneQuest" name was originally coined for a Glorantha game so it makes sense to me that it be used that way again.

According to what the public has been told so far by Chaosium and Design Mechanism, the current plan is:

• TDM is losing the license to use the "RuneQuest" name next July, at which time it will pass to Chaosium.
  • When this happens, the game currently known as RQ6 will be re-released under a new name.  TDM has already decided on the new name, but have not yet announced it.  The renamed version will be mechanically identical to the current RQ6, but the section on Runes and any other Glorantha references will be stripped out.
  • Chaosium will release a new version of RuneQuest which they are referring to internally as RQ4, but its official name will most likely be just "RuneQuest" with no numbers or other qualifiers attached.  The fan base will almost certainly refer to it as RQ7 regardless of its official name.
  • While the original plan was for the new RQ(4/7) to use a Gloranthafied version of the RQ6 rules, it was announced about a month ago that they've changed direction and will instead use a new rules system based on RQ2, but incorporating many of the innovations found in more recent versions of BRP games, including a bunch of RQ6-like things.  Some of the statements from Chaosium following this announcement sound like the new rule set will be very tightly coupled to the Glorantha setting, but they haven't said anything that directly states just how strong this connection will be or how it might be implemented.
  • Like 1

The new RuneQuest will have Glorantha strongly woven into it from start to finish. I'm not sure how to express that on some sort of scale. The best example I could give would be to look at how tightly woven in Glorantha is in the HeroQuest: Glorantha rulebook. I'm also not sure what you mean by "implemented". Examples will be things like the Saga of Rurik the Restless in RQ2 or Samastina's Saga in HeroQuest: Glorantha.

• Like 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

52 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

I'm also not sure what you mean by "implemented".

I guess that's my programmer-speak slipping out.  :)  By "how it will be implemented", I meant what exactly will be done to tie the system to the setting and vice-versa.  For example, the generic default D&D setting dictates that armor interferes with the use of arcane magic, which is implemented in the rules via class restrictions and/or armor check penalties, depending on the edition.

Of course, I don't expect you to even know things in that level of detail yet, much less to be able to share it at this point.

23 hours ago, Jae said:

From what's been said the plan is that first they will produce the new RQ as a specifically Gloranthan RPG, and around the same time they will produce a very stripped down new 32 page BRP Essentials rules booklet based on the same new core engine. New RPGs produced by Chaosium will be based on this core system, but customised to the specific setting and genre. So rather than have a generic RQ system with different settings, they will have a generic BRP system and RQ will be one of (hopefully many) implementations.

Of course this is exactly the model Chaosium used in its glory days, when it published RQ, Stormbringer, Elfquest, Rimgworld, etc all based on BRP but all adapted and is nothing new. I would guess that the new family of games will have somewhat more similar core mechanics than those games did as there was a lot of experimentation and evolution going on in BRP back then, but I may well turn out to be wrong about that.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh
  • Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

3 hours ago, simonh said:

From what's been said the plan is that first they will produce the new RQ as a specifically Gloranthan RPG, and around the same time they will produce a very stripped down new 32 page BRP Essentials rules booklet based on the same new core engine. New RPGs produced by Chaosium will be based on this core system, but customised to the specific setting and genre. So rather than have a generic RQ system with different settings, they will have a generic BRP system and RQ will be one of (hopefully many) implementations.

Yes!